Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think Danny Murphy said he will eventually over take Rodri but he is a year older

Rodri might go back to Spain at some point. He’s tentatively been linked with a move to Barcelona this year, not sure I believe it but if there’s any question over his commitment and a player like Phillips becomes available and you are a club with unlimited money then the deal makes sense.  Phillips will get 1500-2000 minutes at Man City this season, Pep is very good at keeping players out of the “red zone” because of the depth they have, plus if Manchester City sign him then another one of the top clubs can’t.  They are doing what Bayern do to the German league. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Not even half a Grealish 😜

If Rafinha goes now as well (as appears likely) I think they’re in big trouble this season.

As well we know its hard to spend the money on direct replacements, and they've got 2 key players to get right. 

The problem they've got is that they needed two or three midfielders even before Phillips' proposed move to Man City, for at the start of the summer their only other options in the middle of the park besides youngsters and playing players out of position are Foreshaw and Klich, and I doubt another Premier League side would take those two.

So despite the fact that they've added Marc Roca, they probably still need another two or three central midfielders alone, Darko Gyabi coming as part of the Phillips deal but he's not long turned eighteen and hasn't even played much U23 football, so he's probably more one for the future.

Also their form without Phillips is woeful, I think worse than ours was without Grealish, so it's not just replacing a good player, it's replacing a player that was absolutely pivotal to them, also further illustrates how poor their midfield is, or has been, as once take Phillips out their results poor.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Gotta put Leeds and Everton down as relegation favourites next season.

In Leeds zzz case... 

spacer.png

Is this Aaronson really good? I'm asking genuinely, I don't know. 

In part I'm asking because I seem to remember people saying that Josh Sargent was a really good signing last summer, and then he very much wasn't, but I have no idea if that's an appropriate comparison or not. 

Their transfer strategy is a bit of a gamble with still a bit of a gamble manager running the show. 

I might come to regret saying it but they're not a club we need to concern ourselves with. They'll be down or round there. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Their transfer strategy is a bit of a gamble with still a bit of a gamble manager running the show. 

I might come to regret saying it but they're not a club we need to concern ourselves with. They'll be down or round there. 

It will likely indicate a very poor season if we're anywhere near them, given we weren't even really anywhere near them this season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Gotta put Leeds and Everton down as relegation favourites next season.

Leeds will probably struggle.  I'd not be surprised to see Brentford regress a little, especially if they don't manage to keep Eriksen.  You'd think the promoted clubs will have a hard time, especially Forest.  I can't see Everton being as bad next year, if they were going to drop then it was probably last season or nothing.   Back to mid table for them.  

• Like 2

Got to hurt that the hometown boy has upped sticks, as we all know how that feels. Its now a bit of a test of the ownership in how ambitious they are as they really need a big rebuild or I thin they are going to struggle next season.  It would be hilarious  if they sacked Marsch and brought in Rooney post world cup break.

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Got to hurt that the hometown boy has upped sticks, as we all know how that feels. Its now a bit of a test of the ownership in how ambitious they are as they really need a big rebuild or I thin they are going to struggle next season.  It would be hilarious  if they sacked Marsch and brought in Rooney post world cup break.

They wouldn't accept Rooney since he played for United 

I agree with Useless, think it's psychological for Leeds now. Without Phillips in their team their results significantly decrease so he's one of those players who's presence grows others in the team. That's very hard to replace, we tried to replace Grealish with three players last season with very mixed results.

Add in their issues upfront and I don't see Marsch lasting until xmas so think they'll seriously struggle. Actually think Ward Prowse would be a great replacement but little chance he'd move to Leeds from Southampton, Tyler Adams I guess could be a good pick up but would be surprised if he didn't have better options leaving Leipzig.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I agree with Useless, think it's psychological for Leeds now. Without Phillips in their team their results significantly decrease so he's one of those players who's presence grows others in the team. That's very hard to replace, we tried to replace Grealish with three players last season with very mixed results.

Add in their issues upfront and I don't see Marsch lasting until xmas so think they'll seriously struggle. Actually think Ward Prowse would be a great replacement but little chance he'd move to Leeds from Southampton, Tyler Adams I guess could be a good pick up but would be surprised if he didn't have better options leaving Leipzig.

They won 5 games from the 20 he played last season, they won 4 from the 18 he missed. Not that much difference really 

The Peacocks took fourteen points from the eighteen league games that Phillips missed last season compared to twenty-eight points from the twenty league games that he played. When he had his lengthy injury and missed fifteen games in a row they lost ten of those, then upon his return that form turned around and they lost just three of the last eight, and those defeats were to Man City, Arsenal, and Chelsea.

The season before last, they lost seven of the nine league games that he missed.

Their team needs quite a rebuild that was the case even if they had have kept their talismanic captain, and is even more the case now if his departure is confirmed, often signing a lot of players in one go can be seen as a bad thing but in terms of their reliance on Phillips might help them as that will be less players in the team that are used to playing in a system that relied on him.

But have to make the signings first, I'm not sure their board will sanction the rebuild to the extent that they need.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, useless said:

The Peacocks took fourteen points from the eighteen league games that Phillips missed last season compared to twenty-eight points from the twenty league games that he played.

Eh? They finished with 38 points . . .

• Like 1

Well presumably I obvously meant twenty-four points from the twenty league games that he played. It's still relegation form without him in the team, compared to comfortable survival form with him in the team.

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Does anyone else think 45m is a bit low for him? I would have thought the offers would have been 60m+ just because the english premium 

12 months ago I think it would have been £60m. I think his stock has dropped a bit since, partly due to injuries. 

I dont think the position helps, it's not a glamorous big name highly sort after role 

The record for a DMC can only be £60-70m 

Its wrong to say its not a skilled position but its not a poster boy position which is what inflates so many transfers 

Â