Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think that's what sky and the media do every summer and we as fans buy in to it, go through the various threads and you'll see Leeds great team, wolves great team, even Brighton great team followed by utd are shit mate, Jose has lost his mojo, Frank will be lucky to see the season out, arsenal are that irrelevant no one even talks about them

But 99/100 those 4 latter teams will finish above the more 3 exciting fresher teams and then you throw in man City, liverpool and now Everton and where are Leeds, wolves and Brighton finishing? Nowhere

It happens every year bar leicester 

Leeds will do the same as us this season, **** all

That's a bit of a narrow prism to look at it. The top teams finish where they do because they spent 50m on right backs and in fairness they are top players for a reason e.g. mentality. World looked like it was collapsing at Man. United two weeks back and yet they've got up from the canvas and won away to PSG. I'm actually curious at how we react to this defeat as we've been hopeless at reacting to bad defeats from 2010 onwards.

Finshing 7th is still a pretty decent season nowadays given the insane spending of top 6. Newly promoted Burnley and Wolves have done it in recent times and Sheffield United were in mix for that for majority of last season.

49 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

For a newly promoted team they're pretty good I'd say. They had an air of established top 6 team they way they took us apart second half. If they were wearing white you'd say that looked like Spurs v us.

Dosen't mean they'll finish anyway near that though as I think they'll struggle against the deep defences like Newcastle and Palace. Will still be miles clear of bottom 3 and if we finish above them we should consider that a decent season as that will likely mean top half.

The point is by playing the way Leeds do. You either play a low block basically giving up possession to Leeds then you basically have constant pressure against like the wolves first half. Yes on a few occasions Leeds may fail to score but the law of averages means Leeds will score more than the not. Then the oppositions game plan has to change.

so you go toe to toe with Leeds & worry about Leeds doing what they did tonight or you sit off & basically Take the chance of play under pressure for the whole 90’s minutes. 

& id say Leeds aren’t going to come against a defence as good as wolves every week

Edited by BigRed

13 minutes ago, Mantis said:

My point is that the media have a bit of a love-in for Leeds and that if another team in a similar position were doing what they've done they wouldn't be getting as much hype. They're a good team - but that doesn't also mean they aren't overrated by the media.

Ultimately Leeds sells more around the country. No-one outside Smethwick cared about them being top Midlands team for a season or two a few years ago because they played such a boring style under Pulis.

Leeds is fresh story because they've been promoted and are competitive in premier league. We'd have got similar press if we're been like that 12 months ago but we quickly got into losing run and were bottom 6 for vast majority of the season.

Of all the teams in premier league to me West Ham get the most biased press coverage considering they've haven't won anything for 40 years and barely ever finish top 6. Spurs used to be a close second but they've had a pretty decent decade without still winning anything.

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Looked to me like he dragged him up then pushed him 

Him falling over from the push was laughable, the dragging him up was naughty

Red card though? Not so sure, not like you could have claimed to have been "robbed" by it if we'd have snatched a point

Out of the 3 big ref decisions tonight it was the least worse one 

Mings was on a yellow so it could have gotten worse for him

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Mings was on a yellow so it could have gotten worse for him

Wearing as neutral a hat as I can, he should have been sent off. He completely lost his temper, and you can't go around picking people up and pushing them anywhere even close to the face.

I do love Mings, but he sometimes has these moments where his temper gets the better of him, I suspect mostly when he knows we're playing shit.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Wearing as neutral a hat as I can, he should have been sent off. He completely lost his temper, and you can't go around picking people up and pushing them anywhere even close to the face.

I do love Mings, but he sometimes has these moments where his temper gets the better of him, I suspect mostly when he knows we're playing shit.

Didn't even know Mings had been booked but yes he was risking it by reacting like that. Pretty sure VAR can't do anything on two yellow incidents as I remember Mings was on a yellow v Watford and stuck his hand out to stop a counter attack and VAR couldn't do anything according to the laws. Turned out to be a pretty big moment.

No excuses , football is a fine line and Leeds were the better team tonight. Good luck for the rest of the season .

No need to pour more fuel on the Lilly white legends. 

Southampton next, let's concentrate on steadying our ship and push on towards the 40 points we need UTV

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

They've beat us, yet we are 2 pts ahead with a game in hand. For all their hype, we've still made a better start to the season. 

We’ve also been up 2 seasons and spent £170m on our squad. Personally I understand the hype.

9 hours ago, BigRed said:

The point is by playing the way Leeds do. You either play a low block basically giving up possession to Leeds then you basically have constant pressure against like the wolves first half. Yes on a few occasions Leeds may fail to score but the law of averages means Leeds will score more than the not. Then the oppositions game plan has to change.

so you go toe to toe with Leeds & worry about Leeds doing what they did tonight or you sit off & basically Take the chance of play under pressure for the whole 90’s minutes. 

& id say Leeds aren’t going to come against a defence as good as wolves every week

The idea isn't to park the bus for the whole game.

As Nuno Santo showed. You just let Leeds run their socks off in first half. They proved that if you don't allow Leeds to counter they are not a dangerous side and easy to defend against. You wait for them to tire, then you go for their throat in the 2nd half.

Edited by villalad21

8 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

They basically beat us in a game of first goal wins tonight

No they beat us by being better than us in most aspects of the game

Lets not have sour grapes about it they deserved the win. We were very poor 2nd half and got exactly what we deserved.  The warning signs were there from 1st half and we did nothing to try change it.

Not my favourite club but well done to them . Biesla gave smith a footballing lesson last night

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

No they beat us by being better than us in most aspects of the game

Lets not have sour grapes about it they deserved the win. We were very poor 2nd half and got exactly what we deserved.  The warning signs were there from 1st half and we did nothing to try change it.

Not my favourite club but well done to them . Biesla gave smith a footballing lesson last night

They played well throughout but they weren’t particular better than us until they scored.  We had the 4th, 5th and 6th best chances of the game, one of those goes in, different game.  I keep agonisingly replaying that Grealish run in my head.  

Agree dem but at the same time wainy isn't wrong

Their other games this season have suggested that Leeds come out really quick and sharp, then fade a little, concede and then drop off

If we scored first it's safe to assume that their work rate and dominance would drop slightly whereas we could change shape and defend better, we could have mirrored the wolves game 

Instead they score first and we shrunk whilst they got better and better 

If we score first the result could be very different 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

They played well throughout but they weren’t particular better than us until they scored.  We had the 4th, 5th and 6th best chances of the game, one of those goes in, different game.  I keep agonisingly replaying that Grealish run in my head.  

They were for the first 15 minutes we were pretty poor up to that point. Bamford missed a couple of chances. We grew into it after that. Then imploded after the goal.

I thought those days were behind us but sadly not. It was a real horror show after that.

Grealish run was brilliant but he made the wring wrong decision at the end. He would have still been a hero had he slipped it to olllie would have had a tal in. I think had that gone in our confidence would have grown and we would have gone on to win.

I think its games like yesterday where we needed the villa park crowd

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

The idea isn't to park the bus for the whole game.

As Nuno Santo showed. You just let Leeds run their socks off in first half. They proved that if you don't allow Leeds to counter they are not a dangerous side and easy to defend against. You wait for them to tire, then you go for their throat in the 2nd half.

What do you think championship sides did last season, yes of course there is more quality in the premier league to hurt us on the counter etc but you’re still running the risk of giving up possession to allow Leeds to keep going at you. Yes you might get the odd result like wolves but on average if teams set up that way they they aren’t going to keep them out all the time. 

Leeds will win more than they lose with teams setting up that way 

2 minutes ago, BigRed said:

What do you think championship sides did last season, yes of course there is more quality in the premier league to hurt us on the counter etc but you’re still running the risk of giving up possession to allow Leeds to keep going at you. Yes you might get the odd result like wolves but on average if teams set up that way they they aren’t going to keep them out all the time. 

Leeds will win more than they lose with teams setting up that way 

No i don't think so. Leeds don't have enough quality in the final third.

Will be interesting to see you against the likes of Palace and Burnley. Even Sheffield United.

Smith set up incredibly naive against you and i don't you'll have much easier games all season.

Edited by villalad21

I dont think we hit anywhere near the levels of the livepool game, also the robust way we set ul vs Leicester. 

Had we stepped up a gear like we did against liverpool we would  have won that game.

It waa generally a very poor performance

Â