Media and punditry

BOF

Some good points, and I think it does very much boil down to the target audience of these shows. Though I do think Townsend's reputation is a result of ITV's policy rather than his own footballing knowledge. It seems fair self-evident that he's their number one pundit, and hence doing a pretty good job in accordance with their aims.

I don't doubt that he makes some slip ups and lacks insight at times, but I don't necessarily feel that he deserves to be singled out in the way he is, particularly on here.

Edited by Shillzz

Are there any petitions or support of any kind to have a no commentary option on the red button? Surely that wouldn't be hard to have.

Some commentators are like white noise but others really spoil the coverage IMO. It's effectively like having an idiot sitting next to you who feels he has to say something about every little thing that happens. **** off!

Edited by ArteSuave

Jamie Redknapp 

For me, the best previous World Cup was 1970 when Brazil won in Mexico because you just have to look at that team compared to what we’re seeing now

born 1973 :D

If only there was a medium that allowed you to watch stuff that was broadcast in the past.

Are there any petitions or support of any kind to have a no commentary option on the red button? Surely that wouldn't be hard to have.

Some commentators are like white noise but others really spoil the coverage IMO. It's effectively like having an idiot sitting next to you who feels he has to say something about every little thing that happens. **** off!

I watched some of the England v Italy game with no commentary as I'd had enough of Neville and the 5 Live feed was slightly out of sync. I assume you can do it during any Beeb match.

I watched some of the England v Italy game with no commentary as I'd had enough of Neville and the 5 Live feed was slightly out of sync. I assume you can do it during any Beeb match.

I've tried with the 5 Live feed and Alan Green is worse than any of the words removed on telly!

I just want the stadium and pitchside microphones' noise.

I had it once last world cup when they had Moyles doing alternative commentary and the system failed for about 20 minutes. It was **** nirvana.

I've tried with the 5 Live feed and Alan Green is worse than any of the words removed on telly!

I had it once last world cup when they had Moyles doing alternative commentary and the system failed for about 20 minutes. It was **** nirvana.

Football on tv without any commentary and full sound, absolute bliss. Given that it would cost nothing, they really should offer this as an option. Might be an eye opener for them how many people want to watch the game without some blithering idiot warbling over it.

• Like 2

Football on tv without any commentary and full sound, absolute bliss. Given that it would cost nothing, they really should offer this as an option. Might be an eye opener for them how many people want to watch the game without some blithering idiot warbling over it.

They definitely do offer it on BBC. At least they did for the England v Italy game. Lawro is doing the final tomorrow so I'm going to have to try it out again, or even do ITV. I don't mind Townsend, it's Tyldsley that gets my goat.

There was a point in the game earlier where self proclaimed intellectual Clark Carlisle made up the biggest load of bullshit about Luiz's freekick technique. I think it was his attempt at explaining the term knuckleball. By the end I wanted to melt my eyes and pour them down my ears to make it stop. His conjoined twin Sam Matterface is a purebred nonsense merchant as well.

• Like 1

Sam Matterface is a terrible commentator and what makes it worse is that he gets to pork Natalie Sawyer every night.

Lucky bastard

Sam Matterface is a terrible commentator and what makes it worse is that he gets to pork Natalie Sawyer every night.

Lucky bastard
Bastard, I didn't know that. Googling him though his real name is Eugene and he supposedly confirmed their divorce in a recent issue of the radio times.

My favourite piece of his work:

https://audioboo.fm/boos/1993849-sam-matterface-s-alan-partridge-moment

I know hating Townsend is a bit of a VillaTalk meme, but I just wanted to ask why?

I realise his punditry is simple at best, but I don't fully appreciate why everyone hates him so much?

Someone like Lawrenson who sounds perpetually miffed at having such an incredible 'job', is far more detestable in my eyes.

old post but I feel strongly enough to post.

Townsend is like a fan that has accidentally been given the mic.

He doesn't commentate really. When he does, its just an endless reel of clichés, like the commentary track for a computer game. Coupled with saying stuff that doesn't make sense ("he needs to get in and around the centreback" come on Andy. Around i can understand, but in?)

Then there's the countless moments where he forgets he's commentating and just cheers or gasps when something happens. "Go on son!" "Hit that!" "Take him on!"

That's not what a commentator is there for. That's what I shout, not him.

Finally, and maybe the worst, o have a real problem with Townsend in how he defends awful tackles. I used to think this was bias. But its not, he seems to be universally apologetic to a leg breaking tackle. He always seems to try and justify it and even when presented with overwhelming evidence, he'll usually change to "well there's no malice" to save his blushes.

Maybe I'm taking it too seriously, but I don't like a commentator to be so sympathetic to breaking the rules.

So yeah. I don't like him.

But, let me perfectly clear, I'd watch a thousand games with Townsend as commentator before I'd watch one with Lawro.

• Like 2

Are there any petitions or support of any kind to have a no commentary option on the red button? Surely that wouldn't be hard to have.

They definitely do offer it on BBC. At least they did for the England v Italy game. Lawro is doing the final tomorrow so I'm going to have to try it out again, or even do ITV. I don't mind Townsend, it's Tyldsley that gets my goat.
its annoying that the alternate commentary always, as far as I can tell, changes the feed to non-HD

Â