Media and punditry

BOF

How refreshing to have a day of no World Cup football on ITV, wonder what the viewing figures will be like for the final??

Ten times as many watching BBC compared to ITV?

Think the BBC got about five times as many viewers in 2010.

i think we've had this discussion before, BBC smash ITV's viewing figures for games aired simultaneously, but the BBC are kidding themselves if they think its because they offer a far better service, if anything i think its led the BBC to become complacent, same with MOTD, the viewing figures are great but in spite of what they do rather than because of it

someone high up at the BBC must see the viewing figures be 5x that of ITV and pat themselves on the back, in reality half of those will watch the BBC because they dont have adverts and the other half will watch the BBC to get away from Andy Townsend 

will be interesting to see who the BBC class as their "A team" for commentary, cant be lawro, who did their england game?

• Like 1

will be interesting to see who the BBC class as their "A team" for commentary, cant be lawro, who did their england game?

I'm going for a Jon Pearce / Robbie Savage / Phil Neville dream team.

I've been pleasantly surprised with Murphy, he seems very relaxed and easy to listen to. I know he name drops a bit, but often he does so with the intent on giving a bit of insight into the game. Yesterday, for example, he mentioned why a certain player was on the bench, stating that he'd spoken to the player earlier in the day and that said player had picked up a knock (can't remember who it was, Dembele maybe).

Ferdinand makes good points, badly. But he's a footballer, not a broadcaster, so you can forgive him for dribbling into his collar during his analysis. I certainly enjoy hearing what he has to say in the main.

Footballers should do qualifications to get into media just like everyone else and not get a free pass simply because they were decent at kicking a ball about.

I agree on the most part.

Like I've said before, ex-footballers have a place on a pundit panel. They should be there to give a footballer's point of view on something. 

This is what Rio's been doing. Putting himself in the player's shoes and talking about it

"This is what I would do here" "This is what he would have been thinking" "This is how the manager would react to us at half time" that sort of stuff. They're qualified by experience to do that stuff.

What they shouldn't be automatically qualified to do is give tactical analysis, background info on teams, commentary etc. Just because you were a footballer doesn't mean you know the first thing about that stuff.

• Like 1

Is it just me or was the commentary on the BBC for the Netherlands Costa Rica game pretty poor? I can just about tolerate obvious bias if England are involved (the commentators are usually English after all) but Mowbray and Murphy were so blatantly rooting for Costa Rica and it showed.

Is it just me or was the commentary on the BBC for the Netherlands Costa Rica game pretty poor? I can just about tolerate obvious bias if England are involved (the commentators are usually English after all) but Mowbray and Murphy were so blatantly rooting for Costa Rica and it showed.

Yeah, particularly Murphy. I'm pretty sure he shouted 'no' when it looked like Sneijder was going to score from that free kick. Similarly it was certain penalty against Vlaar with minimal contact, yet they'd spent the last few days criticising Robben for making the most of the contact against Mexico. 

Yeah, particularly Murphy. I'm pretty sure he shouted 'no' when it looked like Sneijder was going to score from that free kick. Similarly it was certain penalty against Vlaar with minimal contact, yet they'd spent the last few days criticising Robben for making the most of the contact against Mexico. 

I heard that too.

He tore into Krul as well when he was playing mind games yet I can just imagine that if Navas did it he'd be congratulating him for it. I mean, he was even praising Navas for saves that he didn't make or for saves made when the whistle had blown from offside.

Edited by Mantis

Jamie Redknapp 

For me, the best previous World Cup was 1970 when Brazil won in Mexico because you just have to look at that team compared to what we’re seeing now

born 1973 :D

I know hating Townsend is a bit of a VillaTalk meme, but I just wanted to ask why?

I realise his punditry is simple at best, but I don't fully appreciate why everyone hates him so much?

Someone like Lawrenson who sounds perpetually miffed at having such an incredible 'job', is far more detestable in my eyes.

I know hating Townsend is a bit of a VillaTalk meme, but I just wanted to ask why?

I realise his punditry is simple at best, but I don't fully appreciate why everyone hates him so much?

Someone like Lawrenson who sounds perpetually miffed at having such an incredible 'job', is far more detestable in my eyes.

think its his biased commentary that annoys me especially in Champions League

Biased towards British teams competing in the Champions League?

Because that's ITV's entire remit, just like with any other program, they're there to keep absent minded individuals happy with their idiot friendly coverage.

It's not really Townsend's fault.

If only BBC4 did football coverage eh?

yeah no matter how shit an england / english player gets the best you'll get from townsend is "well its the right idea"

rooney smashes a free kick 25 yards over the bar "well its the right idea"

glen johnson cuts inside on to his left foot in to traffic and loses the ball "well its the right idea"

etc etc

to be honest the bias against english players annoys me but the lack of knowledge about any player outside of the prem is what really grinds my gears, I like I'd guess a fair few on here spend a decent chunk of money and time watching a lot of football, play a lot of football games and read up on football, only to then watch pundits get paid a lot of money to watch football only to constantly come across as though they dont

if the BBC / itv paid me £30k a year to watch football I'd watch the hungarian 3rd division if i thought it would be insightful, instead we get muppets who get paid £300k a year to watch football yet sound like they only watch the sky 4 and whoever they happen to be playing that week

Â