Media and punditry

BOF

As expected Sky Sports are a total disgrace. With all of the betting issues going on at the moment their “prediction” for our game against Luton is a 2-0 home win, but the write up has no mention of the actual game apart from the odds of Carlton Morris committing fouls and how it’s a good idea to bet on it.

54 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

As expected Sky Sports are a total disgrace. With all of the betting issues going on at the moment their “prediction” for our game against Luton is a 2-0 home win, but the write up has no mention of the actual game apart from the odds of Carlton Morris committing fouls and how it’s a good idea to bet on it.

Brought to you in association with SkyBet. 

• Thanks 1

When the 4th goal went in I was expecting to hear him throw his headphones down and rage quit the stadium!

He did say some nice stuff about us but the other guy commentating was, I felt winding Lilly up a bit. Funny thought!

29 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Robbie Savage was very complimentary of us last night 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Richards said recently he gets his hair cut 3 times a week, and pays £300 a time. 

He also said that because of days he was working he was getting his hair cut on consecutive days that week.

I don’t know why it pissed me off but it did.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Genie said:

Richards said recently he gets his hair cut 3 times a week, and pays £300 a time. 

He also said that because of days he was working he was getting his hair cut on consecutive days that week.

Probably because there have to be about a million more worthwhile things for him to be doing with his cash. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Genie said:

Spending £900 a week on shit hair is disgusting. How much did he pocket from Villa?

He could spend some of that money on clothes that fit him.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I don't think Richards is too unpleasant a person, but I find this programme when him and Carragher are told to screech and scream so annoying.

7 hours ago, Genie said:

He and spits at children Carragher get paid £40,000 per appearance on that US show.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

10 minutes ago, choffer said:

Danny Murphy outdoing himself on MOTD tonight. 

:bang:

Didnt he make the same argument about MacPhee when Smith was in charge yet he didnt say anything when his clearing in the woods mate kept him on

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, choffer said:

He should have no trouble finding himself a similar job then should he.

Honestly just seems there was an arrogance with that generation of English players like they know it all and couldn't be taught anything. Always sceptical of change and new methods.

7 hours ago, choffer said:

There is a reason why I try to avoid MOTD. If that's really what he said that's stupidity and arrogance in extreme all blend into one .

I bet he never said anything about the throw in coach at liverpool

15 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Can't sky just let Mike Dean quietly **** off into irrelevance? Odious little creep

I think Mike Dean might be a psychopath/sociopath.

And I'm being 100% serious

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

What really grinds my gears is that there are really excellent pundits out there, but we end up with joyless clearings in the woods like Danny Murphy getting airtime.

As an example I give you Stuntpegg 

A lot of you will remember her from he coverage of Villa when we were in the championship, as she was one of the very few non Villa related channels to actually do the research, watch the games and actually provide some interesting analysis. 

She doesn't stray out of the lower leagues much, which is to her credit as it is clearly a passion project for her. She also appeared briefly on the Wrexham documentary. Her videos are always well researched, full of insight and display a love and understanding of the game conspicuously absent from the average Sky pundit. And she is funny. 

The only thing she does not have is the professional footballing career behind her, but to my mind you really don't need that if you can evidence thoughtful, accurate analysis that fans actually crave as Nieve can. 

There is real quality out there, but we still have to suffer the old boys network of junk on most forms of high profile media. It's the same attitude that allows Gerrard to become a manager. Elevating people to positions beyond their capabilities because of profile and reputation in a different field.

These days I hardly watch the pundits on TV even for the games I'm watching live. Most people watch TV with another device or two Infront of them and I'm no different. At half time I'll mute the TV so I don't have to suffer the 13 minutes of adverts and 2 minutes of bland platitudes. Instead I'll probably be on here or joining a live watch along on YouTube or something.

At the final whistle I'll do similar. Post game analysis I'll watch on YouTube. And MOTD is rendered irrelevant as Sky publish all the highlights pretty quickly anyway. I'm still consuming an awful lot of football content, but very little that involve Danny Murphy, Graham Souness, Micah Richards, Joe Cole, and the rest. They are an awful long way from drawing me back in.

• Like 4

Â