Ashley Westwood

Nabby

On 1/26/2017 at 22:07, Grasshopper said:

I can imagine the scene at the Golf club annual party in 10 years time.

Presidents address:

We would all like to thank Mr & Mrs Westwood for the kind sponsorship of our brand new refurbished putting green

"applause"

Lonely single new club member Mr Hamilton-Smythe introduces himself

So Mr Westwood, a fine putting green indeed. What line of business are you in?

AW : I'm a retired footballer.

Mr H-T : really? Westwood, Westwood, doesnt really ring a bell, did you play on the continent?

AW : No Crewe & Aston Villa

Mr H-T : Oh yes, now if I remember correctly, you were really shit

I didn't know Noel Coward was a fan. 

• Like 3

On 1/27/2017 at 10:09, BOF said:

So wait, Westwood might come good now that he's alongside better central midfielders?  So all this time there was no onus on HIM to be one of those better centre mids that others could look to in order to improve their game?  No responsibility on the 'string puller' in midfield? He gets a free pass for all those performances because he was surrounded by shit, but now that we've actually got good centre mids, he gets to be carried along with them too?  Nah, not for me.  The reason we bought 3 mids in January was not to help poor old Westwood along.  It was to replace him.  I'm sure he'll get his game at some point.  Hell, even Kozak has 2 appearances this season.  But for me he's firmly 2nd string now.  Bench material until we get a better bench.

Bang on

Well this chesnut has been rolled out to just about every individual player we have that has contributed to the shit.

so my question is....... who was the culprit/s that have been dragging all these poor souls down?

23 minutes ago, sne said:

I think he has the ability to perform the way he does at any level or league.

Not necessarily a positive thing that.

Yep,  he could play champions league football and look comfortable receiving the ball and funneling it out wide and back.  No problem.  

Blaze a few over the bar or wide of the post.  Yep,  he could definitely do that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yep,  he could play champions league football and look comfortable receiving the ball and funneling it out wide and back.  No problem.  

Blaze a few over the bar or wide of the post.  Yep,  he could definitely do that. 

And at the same time I don't think that if he dropped down a league he'd be able to influence the game more or stand out to any degree.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I don't rate him, but I won't be shocked when he continues to be a regular Championship midfielder for someone else. Why do people go over the top with "Sunday league player at best" style comments.

Another team happy to have a shit midfield and make up the numbers in the league, maybe. He's nowhere near good enough for a team pushing for promotion, and it's disgusting that he spent a few years stealing a living in the Premier League. Him being a starter for us for half a decade sums up the sorry state that this club has been in.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

5 years at this club 147 appearances 5 goals 11 assists. This season 18 appearances zero goals zero assists. This from central midfield. 

Ashley Westwood is not going to get better with better players around him because he is a diabolical footballer who should never have risen above league 1 where he came from.

It is diabolical. I am not defending him but he was involved in a goal in approx every 9 appearances and I don't now how that compares to others who have been at the club over the last half dozen years who have played say 30 games plus but I wouldn't be surprised to see quite a few others with similar records. That is what comes with playing for a club struggling season on season for so long.

In fairness though I don't think we need these stats do we to confirm that Westwood has been poor for some time. I think you'd struggle to find a supporter who would argue with that. To offer up a little balance I think he started quite well here and for a time alongside Delph and Cleverly he looked ok. Since then though he has played way too much and contributed way too little.

I'd like to think with the recent additions he is pretty much done here now and I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave in this window and certainly in the next one. It is way beyond time that he was replaced and from his side I think the season on season of struggle has left him devoid of any confidence to the point where he is often now hiding and a fresh start may well do him good.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

It is diabolical. I am not defending him but he was involved in a goal in approx every 9 appearances and I don't now how that compares to others who have been at the club over the last half dozen years who have played say 30 games plus but I wouldn't be surprised to see quite a few others with similar records. That is what comes with playing for a club struggling season on season for so long.

In fairness though I don't think we need these stats do we to confirm that Westwood has been poor for some time. I think you'd struggle to find a supporter who would argue with that. To offer up a little balance I think he started quite well here and for a time alongside Delph and Cleverly he looked ok. Since then though he has played way too much and contributed way too little.

I'd like to think with the recent additions he is pretty much done here now and I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave in this window and certainly in the next one. It is way beyond time that he was replaced and from his side I think the season on season of struggle has left him devoid of any confidence to the point where he is often now hiding and a fresh start may well do him good.

I agree Mark.

I must be honest, even in his pomp, he is not my kinda midfield player, However I don't dislike the lad and he has acquitted himself off the field, much better than on it.

but I wish him well, when he goes.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Hourihane has achieved more goals and assists so far this season alone than Westwood has in his past 5 seasons combined.

..........and thats why we bought him

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

To be honest, I'm astonished it's that frequent. 

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Is that what comes with playing for a struggling team or is having too many players who contribute nothing the reason we became a struggling team?

We've had far too many, who like Westwood, have been absolutely awful for us. Those other players seemed to have something about them that appealed to other clubs and that's why we got left with Westwood. 

• Like 2

This could be the best thing for him and us. Needed to be out of the firing line and out of the team to improve.
Perhaps it's a bit late for him but the time to rediscover himself is needed, either with Villa or somewhere else.

Playing the position he should've been 3 years ago; squad player.

• Like 2

However uninspiring he is we can't complain at having a weak midfield then ship both him and Tish out having bought three in.

He can go in the summer if we find a decent replacement but for now needs to stay as back up, albeit a not particularly effective one.

33 minutes ago, terrytini said:

However uninspiring he is we can't complain at having a weak midfield then ship both him and Tish out having bought three in.

He can go in the summer if we find a decent replacement but for now needs to stay as back up, albeit a not particularly effective one.

We will still have Jedi, Gardner and Bacuna for Back up.

get rid of anyone we can! ( if anyone wants them)!