Ashley Westwood

Nabby

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well yeah, the last line is true. 

He plays so much and so badly that of course he's going to get more stick than those not playing sitting in the stands. 

If you read back what you posted you'll realise how silly it sounds. He gets more stick than those not playing. Again for the 100th time he doesn't pick himself. 

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

So wait, Westwood might come good now that he's alongside better central midfielders?  So all this time there was no onus on HIM to be one of those better centre mids that others could look to in order to improve their game?  No responsibility on the 'string puller' in midfield? He gets a free pass for all those performances because he was surrounded by shit, but now that we've actually got good centre mids, he gets to be carried along with them too?  Nah, not for me.  The reason we bought 3 mids in January was not to help poor old Westwood along.  It was to replace him.  I'm sure he'll get his game at some point.  Hell, even Kozak has 2 appearances this season.  But for me he's firmly 2nd string now.  Bench material until we get a better bench.

Ran out of likes

Hint hint :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

If you read back what you posted you'll realise how silly it sounds. He gets more stick than those not playing. Again for the 100th time he doesn't pick himself. 

Not at all. 

No one is going to give stick to people who aren't playing because those players aren't involved. After a poor loss and performance, fans are going to post about the players that played, not the ones that didn't. That's just normal. 

2 hours ago, vreitti said:

What a load of bollocks. I really can't understand the expectations!? Westwood isn't a box-to-box midfielder, neither is he a tough-tackling midfielder, nor a supreme creative attacking force, that'll constantly provide the killer through pass. People need to accept he's a limited footballer, who's fairly decent at retaining possession and 'making us tick'. He's been nowhere near as bad as some are making out.

Haha

So he's so poor we can't have any expectations of him. 

That's a load of bollocks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woodytom said:

What position does he play? Because after 5 years, I'm still none the wiser.

To ppl saying it would be interesting to see him in a better midfield. No it wouldn't.  Not at all. Itd be a sign that we as a club are still willing to put up with sub standard players.

We have 4/5 players now who are better than Westwood. It really is time for him to leave so we can all move the **** on.

He's a holding midfielder.

For the record, he clearly shouldn't be starting games now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vreitti said:

What a load of bollocks. I really can't understand the expectations!? Westwood isn't a box-to-box midfielder, neither is he a tough-tackling midfielder, nor a supreme creative attacking force, that'll constantly provide the killer through pass. People need to accept he's a limited footballer, who's fairly decent at retaining possession and 'making us tick'. He's been nowhere near as bad as some are making out.

When has Westwood ever made us 'tick'...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

He's a holding midfielder.

For the record, he clearly shouldn't be starting games now.

He is a holding midfielder, that is what he was sold as. Unfortunately one who cannot tackle, has no strength, has no edge, cannot pass under pressure and can only execute the very basic of passes.  Carrick I believe the comparison was..

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

What amazed me on Saturday was the amount of fans that slagged Westwood off, when clearly he played his best game in a very long time (coincidentally alongside a proper midfielder for a change....but that's besides the point)...and yet the fans (same fans) sung Gabby's name!

For the record I thought Gabby was exceptional on Saturday for us, and I really really don't rate him at all..... but credit where it's due. 

Ashley Westwood is a ball retaining midfielder. He is the type that makes no headlines, wins no awards and sets no worlds on fire. He isn't in the same class as a Michael Carrick, but he is of that mould....funny how many people slag Carrick off too....lol!

Westwood will be used at certain times in certain games going forward no doubt, he will be a useful squad player. He isn't strong enough or of the type to play in a two man midfield. Personally I would much rather keep him ahead of Jedinak in truth, who for me has been an absolute waste of time and money. He can't run and rarely hits his target with a pass.....ok he wins a few flick ons....but how many times does he want to just hoof the ball in the air? I don't see Jedinak playing a key role going forward, but will perhaps be useful in big away games when we might wanna see a game out. 

Brilliant post

41 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

What amazed me on Saturday was the amount of fans that slagged Westwood off, when clearly he played his best game in a very long time (coincidentally alongside a proper midfielder for a change....but that's besides the point)...and yet the fans (same fans) sung Gabby's name!

For the record I thought Gabby was exceptional on Saturday for us, and I really really don't rate him at all..... but credit where it's due. 

Ashley Westwood is a ball retaining midfielder. He is the type that makes no headlines, wins no awards and sets no worlds on fire. He isn't in the same class as a Michael Carrick, but he is of that mould....funny how many people slag Carrick off too....lol!

Westwood will be used at certain times in certain games going forward no doubt, he will be a useful squad player. He isn't strong enough or of the type to play in a two man midfield. Personally I would much rather keep him ahead of Jedinak in truth, who for me has been an absolute waste of time and money. He can't run and rarely hits his target with a pass.....ok he wins a few flick ons....but how many times does he want to just hoof the ball in the air? I don't see Jedinak playing a key role going forward, but will perhaps be useful in big away games when we might wanna see a game out. 

He really didn't get slagged off that much. He was praised quite a bit for his first half performance. 

And Ashley Westwood being a ball retaining midfielder doesn't mean he can't be criticised. That's like people saying Gestede is only good at heading, so we can't criticise his poor first touch and woeful finishing. Gabby is fast, so we can't criticise his abysmal finishing and dribbling skills. 

The fact he only does one thing to an ok standard is a major reason why he needs to be upgraded and improved on. And thankfully we seem to be moving him closer to the stands with the signings we've made. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Gabby is fast, so we can't criticise his abysmal finishing and dribbling skills. 

Gabby was fast. He’s not as fast as he was; speedy enough, but his loss of acceleration and top speed is a major part in his decline (and his loss of appetite for one thing and his gain of others).

Westwood. He was part of an experiment to buy players on the cheap from lower league clubs and see how they developed. He was a £2million midfielder, and he’s pretty much stayed that way. I can think of many more players to get angry/upset about 

• Like 3

Lets be careful here.

Good players want to be playing alongside good players, thats what attracts them to clubs ( aside from the obvious)

Good players will not be happy carrying players for any length of time.

• Like 1