Ashley Westwood

Nabby

8 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

And that's fine Rob. But during every game, people are booing him, during and every game people are wishing physical harm on him, and then after the game in here, it's the same posts from the same people. It permeates down. My post wasn't just about here; here is just an aspect of it. 

All about context. Sure, I agree that 'he's piss poor :crylaugh:' on its own isn't that bad, but when when it's been 5 years of the same tripe, it's toxic. Vitriolic, as Paddywhack said.

So because I've remained consistent in my opinion regarding Westwood, it's toxic? 

Just now, Woodytom said:

So because I've remained consistent in my opinion regarding Westwood, it's toxic? 

Yes - it was toxic in the first instance and has consistently remained so ;)

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, DK82 said:

We know he is poor, he probably knows it. THE WINDOW IS CLOSED.

And we don't have much other choice.

Why all the arguments when someone posts that he's poor then?

Clearly people disagree. So much so that you're branded clueless if you don't appreciate what he does. 

I only listened on the radio and since seen the highlights. Tony Morley on the radio made special mention of some good forward passes after the mistake for their goal, asking the other commentator to confirm it was Westwood. I think he was trying to pick him out for praise as he knew he was going to be crucified for the mistake, or at least give some balance. Maybe he just couldn't believe it ;)

Still, suggests that the howler aside he might not have been quite so awful.

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I only listened on the radio and since seen the highlights. Tony Morley on the radio made special mention of some good forward passes after the mistake for their goal, asking the other commentator to confirm it was Westwood. I think he was trying to pick him out for praise as he knew he was going to be crucified for the mistake, or at least give some balance. Maybe he just couldn't believe it ;)

Still, suggests that the howler aside he might not have been quite so awful.

Who the hell is this Tony Morley tit and what does he know!?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Why all the arguments when someone posts that he's poor then?

Clearly people disagree. So much so that you're branded clueless if you don't appreciate what he does. 

Because it's no arguing against him being poor. More that there is zero middle ground with some. Basically he is poor with a massive full stop on the end. Whereas he actually lifted himself after the mistake and hasn't done a bad job. First thing some seem to do is relish getting on this thread. I've seen much worse from players over 20 years and most of those players didn't give a shit. Right now we need to get behind all players, get to the window and look to ring in improvements where needed.

so yes Westwood is poor but it's not a case of shit/excellent and there is middle ground.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DK82 said:

Because it's no arguing against him being poor. More that there is zero middle ground with some. Basically he is poor with a massive full stop on the end. Whereas he actually lifted himself after the mistake and hasn't done a bad job. First thing some seem to do is relish getting on this thread. I've seen much worse from players over 20 years and most of those players didn't give a shit. Right now we need to get behind all players, get to the window and look to ring in improvements where needed.

so yes Westwood is poor but it's not a case of shit/excellent and there is middle ground.

So, after Cardiff scoring a goal straight after being mugged off the ball so easily, Westwood has the sheer nerve and audacity to pick himself up, play better for the rest of the game, and try to make up for his mistake? How dare he?

Not a good player, but you have got to respect him.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AJ said:

So, after Cardiff scoring a goal straight after being mugged off the ball so easily, Westwood has the sheer nerve and audacity to pick himself up, play better for the rest of the game, and try to make up for his mistake? How dare he?

Not a good player, but you have got to respect him.

Yep. That's the thing, he made a mistake but worked hard and did well for the rest of the game. Last season a mistake like that would rock the whole team. I'm proud of them all, subs included, because they are a team - they win and lose together.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Spot on. Especially the bolded.

• Like 1

Westwood's biggest fault is he's never been bad enough to be actively sold like many of the other (far worse) midfielders we've had over the last few years, but he's never been good enough for other clubs to try and buy him.

He's average, but good enough to still be a regular in our teams.

Some fans associate him with our demise and he get a lot of unjust (imo) stick as a result of that.

If Westwood had been really shit he'd have been binned off years ago and nobody would even remember him. In a way it's a shame he wasn't as bad as someone like Sylla because this onslaught of abuse he gets would never have happened.

• Like 2

Didn't see yesterday's game so really can't comment but I thought Westwood had his best game in some time against Brighton with one through ball on the right side of midfield catching the eye.

Overal though he hasn't really improved much from last season in an inferior league so I'm sure Bruce has already noted where Villa need strengthening to push on and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Westwood shipped out when the time is right.

Edited by striker

2 minutes ago, striker said:

Didn't see yesterday's game so really can't comment but I thought Westwood had his best game in some time against Brighton with one through ball on the right side of midfield catching the eye.

Overal though he hasn't really improved much from last season in an inferior league so I'm sure Bruce has already noted where Villa need strengthening to push on and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Westwood shipped out when the time is right.

Regarding that ball against Brighton, I suspect the reason he has been a constant in our sides all these years is that despite his numerous faults he's probably our only midfielder who could play those types of passes somewhat consistently. This is more a criticism of our recruitment history than any praise of Westwood. I remember Sherwood in particular after initially leaving out of the side, eventually acquiescing and starting him regularly for that very reason. 

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He made a pass to Adomah yesterday that was absolutely top drawer. Grealish stole his thunder with his through ball to Gabby near the end though

Kodjia's to Grealish for the pen was sexy too.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The booing is wrong and he certainly isn't the root cause of anything 'wrong' at the club. However I have to say that he is someone who has never excelled in any division he has played in for us. Outside of his first season I can count on one hand genuinely 'very good' (or better) performances he has put in for us. I don't think he is even good enough for where we want to be, he is a bottom half Championship level player in my book. He simply fails to boss games, very much a non-presence for the most part and at his best he 'keeps things ticking over'. We really need someone better in his position who is more of a physical presence and can do more with the ball at his feet.

See, this is what a sensible negative post on Westwood looks like. 

Turns out it is possible. 

• Like 1