Ashley Westwood

Nabby

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

It is a strange old thread this and I am amazed at a time when for the first time in years we are doing well that this thread is one of the most popular.

The general consensus seems to be that he is not a good player who we could do with knocking down the pecking order in January.

Where the debate rages is the amount of abuse he is getting especially at games and I gotta be honest I don't get it. Westwood has never disrespected the club, never tweeted bullshit against us the fans, never made the media rags for the wrong reasons. Pretty much in the whole time he has been here I believe he has done his best and game in game out gave his all in terms of effort. His only crime is that his best most of the time hasn't been good enough. The fact he has still found himself a regular in the side isn't his fault though. It is the fault of numerous managers, and/or an owner for not providing the funds to replace him with better.

Therefore for me blame Lerner, blame Lambert, Sherwood, RDM but don't blame the lad who is being picked, as the  current manager deems we don't have better, and who is doing his best and certainly don't abuse him at the games as that certainly isn't going to enhance his performance.

Spot on.

• Like 1

Can someone please please tell me what the hell he was doing fannying around with the ball for their goal? It really is very concerning how often he is brushed off the ball in dangerous positions and we actually do get punished for it. 

16 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It is a strange old thread this and I am amazed at a time when for the first time in years we are doing well that this thread is one of the most popular.

The general consensus seems to be that he is not a good player who we could do with knocking down the pecking order in January.

Where the debate rages is the amount of abuse he is getting especially at games and I gotta be honest I don't get it. Westwood has never disrespected the club, never tweeted bullshit against us the fans, never made the media rags for the wrong reasons. Pretty much in the whole time he has been here I believe he has done his best and game in game out gave his all in terms of effort. His only crime is that his best most of the time hasn't been good enough. The fact he has still found himself a regular in the side isn't his fault though. It is the fault of numerous managers, and/or an owner for not providing the funds to replace him with better.

Therefore for me blame Lerner, blame Lambert, Sherwood, RDM but don't blame the lad who is being picked, as the current manager deems we don't have better, and who is doing his best and don't abuse him at the games as that certainly isn't going to enhance his performance.

Here here I find it incredulous this guy gets the stick that he does and you know who gets a free passage- all this guy ever does is try his best, which may or may not be good enough- but he's always given his all and is for me a model pro - goodness only knows what the guy must think privately about certain other players 

19 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Therefore for me blame Lerner, blame Lambert, Sherwood, RDM but don't blame the lad who is being picked, as the current manager deems we don't have better, and who is doing his best and don't abuse him at the games as that certainly isn't going to enhance his performance.

He is criticised for his consistent poor performance and his constant mistakes.

Nobody is criticising him for not trying his best.

It really is inconsistent this football fan lark. I don't remember too many times where Emile Heskey didn't try his best..... nor did he do the club harm. Yet he was constantly criticised by the fans and nobody battered an eyelid. 

Not all his fault as you quite rightly put but he signed a 35k a week contract so must, in my view, take some responsibility for his lacklustre displays. I don't blame him for signing such a lucrative deal for a poor player, but face the consequences when you don't perform.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Why all the arguments when someone posts that he's poor then?

Clearly people disagree. So much so that you're branded clueless if you don't appreciate what he does. 

Lol, its a good thing Westwood isnt as touchy as yourself about getting a bit of stick and rather than whinge about it he runs himself into the ground every game for the club we all support.

Westy, I love you x

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Here here I find it incredulous this guy gets the stick that he does and you know who gets a free passage- all this guy ever does is try his best, which may or may not be good enough- but he's always given his all and is for me a model pro - goodness only knows what the guy must think privately about certain other players 

Ah the model pro claim again. A model pro does more than give his all. 

To be a 'model' you are an influence to others in terms of effort, performance, attitude, desire, development, ability to adapt.

James milner, Cristiano Ronaldo..... They are the types of players I think of when I think model professional. continually look to improve and maximise their potential regardless of the environment. They keep their condition in absolute tip top shape and always deliver in effort and more often than not, performance as well. 

15 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

He is criticised for his consistent poor performance and his constant mistakes.

Nobody is criticising him for not trying his best.

His performance levels have been pretty consistent since he has been here. For me pretty much week in week out he is a 5/6 out of 10 player.

He made a mistake yesterday. It happens. He never let his head drop though, despite a few rumblings in the crowd, and continued to put a shift in and alongside Jedinak helped provide a solid base in midfield.

I don't have a problem with constructive criticism on a forum or discussions in the crowd. I have an issue with booing and berating a player who despite a lack of ability is doing his very best. I think a player not putting a shift in deserves all the criticism he gets as that is unforgivable but for me I can forgive a lack of ability so long as a player is giving his all. Westwood falls into that category for me and doesn't deserve anything like the vitriol he receives from some.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

So, in other words, to be a model professional, you have to be amongst the best players in the country. 

No. James milner is a long way off being the best player in the country. And Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't play in this country.

It's a bit more than just giving your all and not talking bullshit on twitter. Typical low standards expected of football players strikes again.

6 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

No. James milner is a long way off being the best player in the country. And Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't play in this country.

It's a bit more than just giving your all and not talking bullshit on twitter. Typical low standards expected of football players strikes again.

So what is 'it' and how have you concluded that Westwood falls short?

3 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

James Milner is a regular for the side who sit 2nd in the Premier League and has accrued 61 caps for England over the last seven years. He is absolutely one of the best players in this country. And Cristiano **** Ronaldo is one of the best players ever, let alone what country he plays in. 

If you're disappointed by our players not reaching those standards, I guess it makes sense that you're constantly disappointed by our players, but it doesn't make sense that you direct 90% of that criticism at Ashley Westwood because none of our other players are as good as Milner or Ronaldo either. 

17 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Do you think that is acceptable for a senior player at this level on 35k a week? 

Do you think it's his fault the club wanted him, played him, paid him and skimped and saved on transfers so one of the only option is Westwood?

I'm guessing it is his fault. He planned this since he was 6. Evil man.

Edited by DK82
  • Like 3