Ashley Westwood

Nabby

13 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

There weren't many that did but fair enough if you weren't one. He certainly wasn't defended anywhere near the level Westwood is (I remember well as I used to defend him). He certainly offered a lot more than Westwood imo.

I feel the booing is a bit of a moot point on here as I'm not aware of any posters who do boo him?

The level to which he was defended or not is also kind of moot. I think a lot of people set their stall out early as to whether he was any good or not and on both sides there is now little room for manoeuvre. Whereas Heskey had very little backing from the start. Different times as well, a different club. I don't think there's much merit in making the comparison, there are too many variables. 

The booing is relevant because we're discussing, or should be discussing, Ashley Westwood who plays for Aston Villa football club, not debating the validity of Villa Talks view of Ashley Westwood.

He really needs to stop losing it in dangerous areas. Not helping himself at all. As for booing or insults, it's just part of the game and unlikely to change. He just needs to keep giving his all whenever he is picked which he is continuing to do so fair play to him. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Also the first 15 minutes was one of the sloppiest games of the season in terms of the ball bouncing around midfield, misplaced passes etc.
Nothing was said apart from a few grumbles and "Get it down and play it" etc.
Then as soon as Westwood was the one to misplace a pass some of the fans were like a pack of rabid dogs foaming at the mouth.

If I hadn't expected it I'd have been shocked.

People want to have a go as well. Chester made a shit pass. A guy near me "Was that Westwood? Bet it was Westwood against the clearing in the woods". He didn't even know it was Westwood (and it wasn't) but any excuse to have a go.

AW is exactly the type of midfielder the coaches at academy level are developing. Both my lads have been through the academy system at clubs and my eldest plays in the same role as Westwood so I understand what is expected of him during the 90 minutes.The emphasis is on ball retention and pass percentage. Coaches prefer a sideways or backwards pass if it guarantees retaining possession rather than a forward ball that may result in losing possession. Westwood's first touch is very good and he reads the game well so regardless of whether you rate him or not he is the perfect example of midfielder English coaches are producing.  

It's maybe an argument for a different topic but the flair and skill is coached out of players in my opinion and that's why as a nation we will struggle to win anything. I've watched hundreds of games at academy level including Premier league teams and the blueprint is all too common.

It may also explain why AW is consistently picked by every manager since he signed for us.

On Saturday the comment from a guy 2 rows behind me when he made the mistake was "just die Westwood".

FWIW I rate Westwood but there's a number around me in L5 that can't wait to dish out the abuse

• Like 3

On 11/26/2016 at 19:29, villa4europe said:

Yeah there was some groans but didn't hear him booed, mistake for goal was bad, overall performance was ok, hard role to rise above how Cardiff set themselves up, thought the game largely passed him by

The problem is.....and I think its the main issue with him......there is always another one lurking under the surface for the next game.

for sure all players make ricketts, but not likely every game.

He has been with us 4/5 years and nothing has changed he was lightweight then and lightweight now.

I think he is a weak link....not the only one I might add.....but he is one in my eyes.

PS running your socks off should be a given in that role and their salaries......but its all in a small space not up and down the pitch causing havoc for the opposition.

58 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

He's been especially tidy for the majority of his time here. Ineffective through a lot of it, but tidy and lacking mistakes.

This. To make mistakes you have to try something different or take a risk. He does neither and that contributes to him being such a poor player. 

20 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Where has this thing come from that Westwood makes a lot of mistakes?

He's been especially tidy for the majority of his time here. Ineffective through a lot of it, but tidy and lacking mistakes.

I'd agree with that.

I understand the argument that he's not been effective enough. Completely get it even if I don't agree with it as strongly as some people do.

But I really don't think he makes many mistakes. It's one of the reasons he goes unnnoticed

21 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Standing your ground is part and parcel of the game.....He loses the ball quite often in one on ones.....that for me is a mistake, because he wasn't meant to lose the ball, it happens regularly......you either see it or you don't

furthermore in many cases the opposition go on to score.

He is one of those players where you get him or you don't.

Edited by TRO

21 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

He is tidy when the opposition are not close to him.....when they are he makes mistakes and usually loses it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd agree with that.

I understand the argument that he's not been effective enough. Completely get it even if I don't agree with it as strongly as some people do.

But I really don't think he makes many mistakes. It's one of the reasons he goes unnnoticed

I want our players to be noticed, that usually signifies they are playing well.

The referee usually goes unnoticed.

Edited by TRO

On 11/28/2016 at 13:26, carewjust4u said:

I bet Westwood voted for Donald Trump.

Nothing wrong with that!  Saved 1000 jobs, doesn't want war with Russia, wants to smash ISIS, whats not to like there?   Westwood however is struggling.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Standing your ground is part and parcel of the game.....He loses the ball quite often in one on ones.....that for me is a mistake, because he wasn't meant to lose the ball, it happens regularly......you either see it or you don't

furthermore in many cases the opposition go on to score.

He is one of those players where you get him or you don't.

not a case of you or I get him.

AW just doesnt get football

3 hours ago, ermie123 said:

Nothing wrong with that!  Saved 1000 jobs, doesn't want war with Russia, wants to smash ISIS, whats not to like there?

Well, whats wrong is that the Lobbyists (G&S FR Bell......etc) will be running things (as per SQ)

The President is only a face, in DT's case a bad hair day

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I want our players to be noticed, that usually signifies they are playing well.

The referee usually goes unnoticed.

That was my point. It wasn't really a compliment.

Edited by Stevo985

On 27/11/2016 at 17:55, Woodytom said:

I wouldn't let it get to you. certainly not this much. 

To be fair, you come in this thread constantly to bash Westwood. I'd suggest that his performances aren't that worth getting so worked up about.

• Like 1