Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Mike the reason why so many focus on Westwood in terms of a negative is in response to the so many that focus on him as a positive. And vice verser.

Truth of the matter is that no current villa player (westwood incl) are worth talking about. And very few have been worth talking about for half a decade.

Yet there's nowhere near as much garbage (in every single **** thread) about any other current player.

The negative isn't a response to the positive, by the way.  The 'defending' of Westwood is because of the people endlessly spouting on about how crap he is - when he isn't.  I think it's because he was bought from the lower leagues or something.

Or perhaps some feel he isn't as good as people make out? There is definitely hyperbole on both sides, no doubt in response to each other, after almost game he plays in they'll be people in here exclaiming how he was MOTM or people in match threads every time he makes a pass stating how that won't get mentioned in the Westwood thread. It all just reinforces this two tribes mentality about him and the vicious circle continues ad nausem.

The thing is, it's incredibly rare that people are saying he's a great player.  He's not.  He's just very tidy, keeps things ticking over and is remarkably consistent in doing that.

However, the forum is littered with "Westwood is shit", "Westwood's **** corners", "League Two pile of shit" etc. etc.

Find me the overhyped praise going the other way?  It's rare.

He was kind of at fault for tonight's first goal though

Decided to try and intercept the man who he was never going to get to instead of tracking back and picking up the runner allowing Yoshida to have a free run at the defence he was the closest midfielder to him at the time

I've actually got no idea how you've come to this conclusion.

So much so that I'm assuming you've mistaken whoever it was you were watching for Westwood.

• Like 1

He was kind of at fault for tonight's first goal though

Decided to try and intercept the man who he was never going to get to instead of tracking back and picking up the runner allowing Yoshida to have a free run at the defence he was the closest midfielder to him at the time

I've actually got no idea how you've come to this conclusion.

So much so that I'm assuming you've mistaken whoever it was you were watching for Westwood.

You are right it was actually Amavi just watched it again i blame the beer

• Like 1

Mike the reason why so many focus on Westwood in terms of a negative is in response to the so many that focus on him as a positive. And vice verser.

Truth of the matter is that no current villa player (westwood incl) are worth talking about. And very few have been worth talking about for half a decade.

Yet there's nowhere near as much garbage (in every single **** thread) about any other current player.

The negative isn't a response to the positive, by the way.  The 'defending' of Westwood is because of the people endlessly spouting on about how crap he is - when he isn't.  I think it's because he was bought from the lower leagues or something.

Or perhaps some feel he isn't as good as people make out? There is definitely hyperbole on both sides, no doubt in response to each other, after almost game he plays in they'll be people in here exclaiming how he was MOTM or people in match threads every time he makes a pass stating how that won't get mentioned in the Westwood thread. It all just reinforces this two tribes mentality about him and the vicious circle continues ad nausem.

do you know why that comment was made in the match thread? because someone in this thread said something along the lines of "name a moment this season he's done anything at all impressive"

Hyperbole on both sides my arse.  When he played bad in games this season everyone said so and this thread exploded with people dogging him out of it and bitching about his corners but when he plays decent nothing gets said by the folk who dislike him as it appears to bother them in some stupid way and they don't want to give him any credit.  His corners were excellent last night and he had a good game all round, he set up Bacuna for a good chance and got into some dangerous positions and should of done better with the shot layed on by Gestede.  Where are all these people giving him credit for his corners for that game?  His stats for crossing last night was 9 successful out of 9 attempted!  I'm sure they'll all come out of the woodwork when he puts a few bad ones in and anything decent he does will count for nothing as per usual...

Edited by Bunnski

I think all players who have been here for awhile get the same split opinions. Guzan and gabby are other examples. I think it's down to how shit we've been with them as regular players, it probably contributes to the level it gets sometimes. 

I think Westwood has his moments but I do believe we're going nowhere while he's classed as a key midfield player for us and I doubt many other premier league teams would have him start as much as we do.

The claims that he has never received OTT praise by anyone is just laughable.

'Future england captain' up there with the most ridiculous shouts.

how **** long ago was that? the 'not even a footballer' comments appear every match regardless of performance. 

Had a good game tonight, was the only player trying to thread a ball into dangerous positions and his corners were excellent.

This is the most 'extreme' view from last page Woody.

What am I missing?

So if I hit a corner and I'm aiming for Guzan that's a completed cross/corner. My point is his delivery lacks pace and he doesn't put them in the right spot most times. It's either too close to the keeper.. Too deep or just close enough for Gestede to make contact but not giving him too much of a chance to do anything with it. Bacuna hits them alot better and quicker and they are more.dangerous.

Westwood corners were better against Southampton though I'll give him that. Made a nice interception and through ball. Had a decent game. First in a while. Still not enough for me though. There's a difference in having a good game which affects the outcome of a match and there's strolling by and doing something of note every now and then. He is unfortunately the latter. 

So if I hit a corner and I'm aiming for Guzan that's a completed cross/corner. My point is his delivery lacks pace and he doesn't put them in the right spot most times. It's either too close to the keeper.. Too deep or just close enough for Gestede to make contact but not giving him too much of a chance to do anything with it. Bacuna hits them alot better and quicker and they are more.dangerous.

Westwood corners were better against Southampton though I'll give him that. Made a nice interception and through ball. Had a decent game. First in a while. Still not enough for me though. There's a difference in having a good game which affects the outcome of a match and there's strolling by and doing something of note every now and then. He is unfortunately the latter. 

I think he has the talent to make a game his, with a bit more energy and confidence.

Yep, I don't remember seeing anyone come in here and post about how super, duper amazeballs Westwood was last game. The negativity towards some of our players is staggering at times.

Westwood does seem to get a lot of stick, but he's hardly alone in that. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen "X isn't even a footballer" thrown at players.

Honestly, I think Westwood is remarkably consistent at being okay-ish. He never has an outstanding game but he never has a disastrous game either. That said, assuming we have all our midfielders fit, Westy seems like one of the easiest to drop.

Best post on this thread in many a month. That's the reality, he's 'okay-ish'. He isn't good enough to get us to midtable in the PL, he'll probably look like a world-beater in the Championship.