Ashley Westwood

Nabby

For Westwood to have played yesterday we would have had to sacrifice one of Gabby, Ayew or Grealish. If we didn't have 3 behind the human totem pole then we would have struggled even more than we did to create goalscoring chances IMO.

wouldnt have lost much if Grealish didn't play. He was horrible. Needs to get his attitude sorted imo

For Westwood to have played yesterday we would have had to sacrifice one of Gabby, Ayew or Grealish. If we didn't have 3 behind the human totem pole then we would have struggled even more than we did to create goalscoring chances IMO.

wouldnt have lost much if Grealish didn't play. He was horrible. Needs to get his attitude sorted imo

Agree with you there but I would have played Gil instead of Westwood in that instance.

Ayew would have been better upfront working the channels and attacking the centrebacks instead of Gestede, then Westwood would have had a place to give more protection to our back four and get the ball in to Grealish/Gil in better positions which is his forte. On MOTD they pointed out Gana's awful positioning for their 2nd, he was in two minds about whether or not to press, Richardson for some ridiculous reason thought he should cover the defensive midfielder position and the rest is history. With Westwood behind Bacuna would have had more licence to support the forwards too and wouldn't have had to be relied on to keep Sigurdsson quiet, who incidentally scored from a free kick having been fouled by a pressured CB in an area that is usually covered by a deep midfielder.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

I don't need stats I can see it with my own eyes!!

If it was all about protection then Sanchez would be a better bet, in general I think we could have done with any player in there whether it was Westwood or anyone else. So maybe we didn't miss Westwood, but we missed a midfielder behind the other two especially after we scored and Gestede had proved he was going to be as useless as a chocolate teapot, and Westwood is a midfielder.

Edited by a m ole

Seriously, Stats please. I actually do like them and i'm not taking the piss.

Westwood is a neat and tidy player who is capable of making some telling passes but in terms of protecting the back 4 i'm not convinced. If however there are some stats out there to prove me wrong I'd really like to see him.

I've had a look and his stats are lower than they were earlier in the season, when he was top for interceptions (between him, Sanchez, Gana and Veretout, unfair to include Bacuna as he's played at RB) I think and thereabouts with Sanchez on tackles made. Coinciding with his poor form of late, it's dropped considerably to 1.3 and 1.9 per game respectively. Gana has 3.8 and 4.1 which is really impressive and massive improvement on earlier in the season. 1.6 and 3.4 for Sanchez.

But by protect the back for I only meant a presence, I wasn't envisioning Westwood steaming around like Makelele.

I've had a look and his stats are lower than they were earlier in the season, when he was top for interceptions (between him, Sanchez, Gana and Veretout, unfair to include Bacuna as he's played at RB) I think and thereabouts with Sanchez on tackles made. Coinciding with his poor form of late, it's dropped considerably to 1.3 and 1.9 per game respectively. Gana has 3.8 and 4.1 which is really impressive and massive improvement on earlier in the season. 1.6 and 3.4 for Sanchez.

But by protect the back for I only meant a presence, I wasn't envisioning Westwood steaming around like Makelele.

Where did you get these stats from?

I'd like to see them in comparison to other players in the Premier League because without that they are meaningless.

Westwood is indeed a neat and tidy player. But he never appears against good teams. He is not somebody who takes games by the scruff of the neck. I would suggest the last three seasons suggest that he is not good enough for the top half of the table. Nice lad, never shirks responsibility but is what I would call a Norwich City type of player. He seems to have grown up with Butch Wilkins as his hero!  Since they have come together his sideways tendencies have grown and grown!

At this moment in time we need real authority in midfield.