Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I'm going to put up a thread later (maybe) looking at the stats of the team based on whoscored.com who use opta stats. Looking at Westwood's defensive stats compared to the rest of the Premier League, our team and then as a midfielder they are as follows.

110th for Interceptions and 8th for us. 3rd best midfielder

81st for Tackles and 6th for us. 3rd best midfielder.

40th for Fouls and 4th for us. 2nd most fouls from a midfielder.

117th for Clearances and 8th for us. 2nd most clearances from a midfielder

52nd for Blocks and 3rd for us. 1st for blocks from a midfielder.

Edited by sexbelowsound

There's been a definite drop in his form, from watching and statistically since I last looked, those stats are somewhere lost in this thread. It's a shame but who knows what might happen with a manager who can set us up properly, we should improve across the board.

There's been a definite drop in his form, from watching and statistically since I last looked, those stats are somewhere lost in this thread. It's a shame but who knows what might happen with a manager who can set us up properly, we should improve across the board.

Yeah. I mean tbh. It would probably make sense to look at his average from last season in comparison to this.

It's not really a fair judgment on him based on 10 games with a clown in charge.

Worryingly his best form from last season came when said clown was in charge.

No idea how/why this is worrying.

The key is in the term you've used - "form".

Because people are suggesting that Westwood could perform better when TS is not in charge.

After 4 years of being pretty much,  average at best, it may, just may,  be the player. 

• Like 1

Because people are suggesting that Westwood could perform better when TS is not in charge.

After 4 years of being pretty much,  average at best, it may, just may,  be the player. 

Oh, it was just another pointless dig!

Fair enough, as you were...

Ayew would have been better upfront working the channels and attacking the centrebacks instead of Gestede, then Westwood would have had a place to give more protection to our back four and get the ball in to Grealish/Gil in better positions which is his forte. On MOTD they pointed out Gana's awful positioning for their 2nd, he was in two minds about whether or not to press, Richardson for some ridiculous reason thought he should cover the defensive midfielder position and the rest is history. With Westwood behind Bacuna would have had more licence to support the forwards too and wouldn't have had to be relied on to keep Sigurdsson quiet, who incidentally scored from a free kick having been fouled by a pressured CB in an area that is usually covered by a deep midfielder.

Have you ever seen him play?

He constantly leaves the defence exposed - a large factor that our defence has been piss poor for the years he's been 'protecting' the defence. He has no defensive nous whatsoever, is scared of a tackle and most importantly never, ever plays his position. When has he ever stopped a midfield runner? Sanchez is 100 x more effective defensively. 

• Like 1

Oh, it was just another pointless dig!

Fair enough, as you were...

It wasnt a dig at all. It was a realistic viewpoint than some delusional hope that under a different manager westwood is going to be any good.

I think new manager needs to cut his losses with Westwood, he represents for me the torture years of Lambert and the failed reign of Sherwood and best for us and him now to change scenery. average player at best and will never get you above a relegation scrap

• Like 3

I think new manager needs to cut his losses with Westwood, he represents for me the torture years of Lambert and the failed reign of Sherwood and best for us and him now to change scenery. average player at best and will never get you above a relegation scrap

Doubtful. He's still one of our best midfielders so he'll continue to be selected regularly until we sign better players.

I also imagine his performances will improve again under (hopefully) a manager that actually knows what he's doing.

• Like 1

for me he has reached his ceiling as a footballer no matter who is in charge, He is 25 now and still hasnt really dominated a game with any conviction or consistency you want from a midfielder

Yes he played well under Sherwood when he had players like Delph and Cleverley doing all the running. I like him but he's average at best.