Ashley Westwood

Nabby

No, but the fact he's in his fourth season in the premier league, with the amount of players we've shipped out, would suggest that it's an exaggeration to call him a Championship Player.

• Like 2

I far prefer Westwood to Sanchez. While Sanchez is excellent at following the play and identifying where the ball is going to go, when he's on the ball he's far too liable to give it away and put us under pressure. He to me is a poor man's Gana. And Westwood is a player who can spread the play well. He's neither an AM or a DM. He's a CM. My midfield three would be Veretout, Westwood and Gana. I quite like Veretout for reasons.

• Like 2

Sitting 18th after finishing 17th last year and we're having a go at a player for being average. Average is better than where we are I'd say! It's weird though you don't the Alan Hutton thread for example blowing up everday with redundant posts like that.

Well that depends whether they mean average in terms of all the players in the league or the just the ones in our squad.

Sitting 18th after finishing 17th last year and we're having a go at a player for being average. Average is better than where we are I'd say! It's weird though you don't the Alan Hutton thread for example blowing up everday with redundant posts like that.

Well that depends whether they mean average in terms of all the players in the league or the just the ones in our squad.

The word average means poor now in a football context. No relation to the word mean.

• Like 1

Either way, I imagine there are bigger fish to scapegoat than Ashley Westwood.

Is he really being scapegoated? He has been poor by and large this season, saying that doesn't make any other player immune to criticism or that our poor results have been solely his fault and I haven't seen anything to suggest people believe this to be the case.

• Like 3

A Championship player.Stick with him, and that's where we'll be.

Who has never played in the Championship......

He doesn't need to have, to be that standard of player.

See Stevo's post. Also, what even is a Championship player? Is Charlie Austin one?

Edited by sexbelowsound

Is he really being scapegoated? He has been poor by and large this season, saying that doesn't make any other player immune to criticism or that our poor results have been solely his fault and I haven't seen anything to suggest people believe this to be the case.

He's been poor for the past 2, maybe 3, league games.

I think he started the season well.

• Like 2

Westwood is a 6 or a 7 every single game. The main reason he's out of fashion at the moment is that the team have been losing, not because of any failing of his as far as I can see.

.......But he plays a crucial role, in ensuring we don't lose.^_^

I have said before watch him when he has the ball and we are in the ascendency.....and then watch him when the opposition have it and we are on the back foot.......his game is chalk and cheese

Edited by TRO

Westwood is a 6 or a 7 every single game. The main reason he's out of fashion at the moment is that the team have been losing, not because of any failing of his as far as I can see.

poor team performance is rarely down to one individual.

Since the second half vs Leicester he has been off his game, before that game he was 8th in the league for key passes and was doing decent enough defensively while getting up and down the pitch. We need him on form again because we don't have anyone else in midfield that can open up the opposition like him and we also need to play the right players infront of him that will make good runs.

See Stevo's post. Also, what even is a Championship player? Is Charlie Austin one?

a player not good enough for the Premier League. I would consider a player that consistently plays for a team in a relegation battle as somebody that you would consider Championship standard

If Villa wanted rid of him I cant see anybody but a Championship or newly promoted team want him

• Like 2

a player not good enough for the Premier League. I would consider a player that consistently plays for a team in a relegation battle as somebody that you would consider Championship standard

If Villa wanted rid of him I cant see anybody but a Championship or newly promoted team want him

Was Benteke a Championship player then?

• Like 1

Benteke got a 32 million pound move to Liverpool, get a grip if think is any comparison as he would have left the season previously only for injury

players Westwood be compared with are Cattermole, O'Shea, Colloccini

Benteke got a 32 million pound move to Liverpool, get a grip if think is any comparison as he would have left the season previously only for injury

players Westwood be compared with are Cattermole, O'Shea, Colloccini

I'm not discussing that though. I'm discussing the notion of their being a 'Championship player'. I don't think it exists.

for me a Championship player is a player who is out of his depth in the Premier League, OK as squad players but not good enough to be starters. Problem is we have had a lot of them recently Weimann, Bent, Lowton etc

for me a Championship player is a player who is out of his depth in the Premier League, OK as squad players but not good enough to be starters. Problem is we have had a lot of them recently Weimann, Bent, Lowton etc

You're right, we have, but yet Westwood remains.....

I'm not his biggest fan but he is certainly better than the players you mentioned.

not that hard to be fair ;) but I think with them gone you can see the deficiencies in Westwood play as he was one of "better" players before but think more spotlight on him now as he is one of more experienced players in team now and needs to produce to that level

not that hard to be fair ;) but I think with them gone you can see the deficiencies in Westwood play as he was one of "better" players before but think more spotlight on him now as he is one of more experienced players in team now and needs to produce to that level

I agree, now that the bottom rung have gone and we have improved the squad he is now in the lower half of the players we have but the fact is we are still in the same position as a club. The issue is not Ashley Westwood, its far, far deeper than that and whilst he might not be the greatest player on Earth he is incredibly committed to the club and a player I'm more than happy to have here.