Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Why do you think it's clear he's been told to take them that way Stevo? 

I had a very quick Google and saw quite a few mentions of him taking floated corners for Crewe, it seems to me that it's just his style. I really think we'd look a lot more dangerous if we had some one hitting them in with pace but do have to agree that the manager or the players would have called for a change if they had to much of an issue with it, which is odd considering it appears an almost unanimous issue to the fans.

• Like 2

Last season some Villa fans were convinced that Benteke was demanding them to be taken this way, now that we know that was complete bollocks and a new manager hasnt changed the taker or the technique of the corners then it has to be the coaches surely? Its the only common denominator.

I had a very quick Google and saw quite a few mentions of him taking floated corners for Crewe, it seems to me that it's just his style. I really think we'd look a lot more dangerous if we had some one hitting them in with pace but do have to agree that the manager or the players would have called for a change if they had to much of an issue with it, which is odd considering it appears an almost unanimous issue to the fans.

Because do you really think the manager, coaching staff and players are all unhappy with them? Westwood is happily taking these shit corners and nobody has thought of changing it up?

Maybe it was his choice to take them like that the very first time he took one for us. But he can't be being told to do anything differently, otherwise why would he still be on corner duty?

I don't think there's anything to suggest anybody at the club thinks they're a problem.

Because do you really think the manager, coaching staff and players are all unhappy with them? Westwood is happily taking these shit corners and nobody has thought of changing it up?

Maybe it was his choice to take them like that the very first time he took one for us. But he can't be being told to do anything differently, otherwise why would he still be on corner duty?

I don't think there's anything to suggest anybody at the club thinks they're a problem.

I do agree with your points here and said so in the bolded of my OP. Guess I was just arguing semantics over him actually being told to do something and him not being asked to change it.

Last season some Villa fans were convinced that Benteke was demanding them to be taken this way, now that we know that was complete bollocks and a new manager hasnt changed the taker or the technique of the corners then it has to be the coaches surely? Its the only common denominator.

And we saw last season that when somebody else (i.e. Grealish) took them, the delivery was half-decent. The issue here is that we have yet another manager totally infatuated with this player and can't bring himself to take him off set-pieces, let alone drop him. God knows why.

Not sure westwood currently divides the fans as much as he has done in the past.

I think before his performances were decent enough but now he has had a poor start plus the set-piece thing has really escalated as we have dangermen in the squad like Rudy and Richards

• Like 1

Had a good start to the season but has gone off the boil in the last few games, I also agree that he shouldn't be our only corner kick taker and we should be whipping some corners in on top of the opposition goalie and mixing it up.

I too am a Westwood fan but acknowledge he has been poor the last few games. Much like most of the rest of the squad. But he's still ahead of Sanchez for me, both on historic showing for Villa and current form. Sanchez has been appalling, whereas Westwood has just been poor.

Edited by jackbauer24
  • Like 1

Agree that Westwood has been poor in the last few games. He's been very poor in fact.

I remember when Petrov was at his best for us many people couldn't stand him and thought he was bang average while others really rated him. They are the type of players that seem to divide opinions between football fans.  I think that's a bit like Westwood is seen now but even then he's not nearly as good as Petrov was anyway. He's not a leader and he's not good enough defensively. He keeps us ticking when he's on his game but ultimately I don't think he offers enough for us currently. Some games he plays very well, picks out players left and right but often I feel that he lacks confidence to try more aggressive passes. I do think he has more in his locker though. He could do with a few games on the bench as it stands.

He's just not a box-to-box midfielder, like it's almost physically impossible for him to be good in that role. He's not got the athleticism for that. Though to be fair to him, he does cover the most ground out of anyone in our team. He needs to be played as the deepest lying midfielder with 2 box-to-box midfielders just in front of him (Gana, Veretout) for him (and the team really) to be most effective. I don't know why Tim stopped playing that formation with the 2 #10's as we played our best football in it, but he seems to be shoehorning Westwood into either a 2 man midfield or as a Delph/Gana type midfielder in a 3 with Sanchez. It's odd, and it clearly isn't working.

I have tried really hard to like this player and warm to him, but he possesses something I  am not keen on in a player.....He is tentative and Lightweight....gets turned very easily.

Time and time and time again I see him get rolled physically beaten by a twist of the thighs & shoulders of an opposing player and he is then playing catchup like a schoolboy on the shirt tails.

He is capable of a sweet pass and looks comfortable when there is not physical encounter/challenge.....when I look at some of our past players in that role it makes me cringe.....Steve Mcmahon. Andy Townsend,Des Bremner, Alex Cropley, of course not two players are ever the same entirely, but we desperately need an enforcer in the Middle and dictate play.

My faith in the manager and the coaching staff has got to the point where I am not convinced that they can actually identify problems.