Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Veretout has barely played for us, and hasn't looked very good in the PL (yet) but we know he's better than Westwood because buzzwords

I think he has the potential to be better than Westwood, and bring a lot more to the team than Westwood. We'll have to wait and see but I'm fairly confident, based on reports from France, that once he's fully up to speed he'll will be much more of an asset that Westwood. 

but saying that I don't think they should be in competition. Westwood should be competing with Sanchez, when everyone is fit, for the central holding role. Veretout should be the one from the midfield three that looks to push forward. And you may mock people for thinking Veretout is better based on little, but is it any different of this attitude of you don't get football if you don't appreciate Westwood? 

It's no different, no. But that doesn't make it any less wrong. Just to be clear I also have high hopes for Veretout, I get the feeling that he will become a hybrid of Westwood and Milner for us, which I guess will render Westwood redundant. But for now he's shown very little for us and to suggest he should be in the team ahead of Westwood right now is ludicrous and smacks of bias.

Don't think it's ludicrous at all. We all know what we're getting with Westwood. Veretout has the potential to offer more, I don't see why it's crazy to see if that potential will pay off.

Edited by DCJonah

Veretout could well end up not being very good but the key difference is that it isn't assured. I've seen enough of Westwood over the last three years to know that he is a pretty substandard player and he isn't going to improve. Therefore it's quite an easy choice from my perspective because there is benefit in giving Veretout game-time now even if he has a long way to go. I think what those who say he is better than Westwood (which is premmature I concur) are getting at is that even from the brief glimpses, he does look to have more facets to his game.

• Like 1

Do people realise that historically Veretout has been more of an attacking midfielder. In the long term he's not going to take Westwood's place in front of the defence. Last season he was so far advanced in the Nantes team, that he was actually playing behind the striker.

Edited by useless

Do people realise that historically Veretout has been more of an attacking midfielder. In the long term he's not going to take Westwood's place in front of the defence. Last season he was so far advanced in the Nantes team, that he was actually playing behind the striker.

That doesn't mean that Sherwood sees him playing there though.

From what I read Veretout was naturally more of box-to-box midfielder but began to play an advanced role last season. That he is versatile in that respect is great but I don't think we've signed him to do play that high up, rather to be more Cleverley's replacement and the more advanced of the three. If we play a two, then it's between him, Westwood and Sanchez for the second spot as Gueye's place is rock solid. If we play a three (as said above) then it's between Westwood and Sanchez at defensive-midfield and that should really be a total no-brainer.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

That doesn't mean that Sherwood sees him playing there though.

I don't think he'll be playing behind the strikers here, I can't him being used as a defensive midfielder in the long run either. I think he'll be used more as a box-to-box player.

Veretout could well end up not being very good but the key difference is that it isn't assured. I've seen enough of Westwood over the last three years to know that he is a pretty substandard player and he isn't going to improve. Therefore it's quite an easy choice from my perspective because there is benefit in giving Veretout game-time now even if he has a long way to go. I think what those who say he is better than Westwood (which is premmature I concur) are getting at is that even from the brief glimpses, he does look to have more facets to his game.

Westwood has improved year on year. Veretout, as a highly rated £7m signing from France, may well develop into a better player, but if he had been a £1m signing from Crewe, based on performances for us, he would already have been written off by many.

Edited by poitier
  • Like 2

wasnt that veretout who took that free kick?

anyway another game today where i'm watching and thinking what does he actually do?

he's weak, he cant tackle or win headers, he slow so can't keep up with opposition players running at him, he can't take players on when attacking, he doesn't score goals and he doesn't get many assists despite taking most set-pieces (which are usually shit). 

do any other teams have players who are so limited yet appear to be first name on the teamsheet every week? Our midfield has been piss-poor for years, and hes the one constant in it.

• Like 3

Westwood has improved year on year. Veretout, as a highly rated £7m signing from France, may well develop into a better player, but if he had been a £1m signing from Crewe, based on performances for us, he would already have been written off by many.

You think? I think he has gone backwards. Was much better in his first season. He actually had a better delivery. Set up 6 goals scored a couple. Since then hes looked bang average. Another awful display today.

He will play again next week though.

• Like 1

Westwood needs time on the ball. When he his under pressure he often gets hustled into making hasty back passes or simply gets pushed off it.

He is a good average player, but his is a position we need to improve on for us to get better.