Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I admire your constant support of him Bunnski, but he is a very limited player, who might do 2 or 3 good things in a game, but doesn't make him a good player.

Yday was a good example of Westwood, did ok, didn't impose himself, didn't stand out, didn't do anything exceptional.Gave the ball away too much, and too often fails to open the game up by playing too many safe passes.

Sanchez stood out yday, Delph could probably play alongside him, but for me neither Westwood or Cleverley do enough.

That block after Gooses save was epic haha, he had 3 interceptions today and 2 key passes, one of which was a first time pass that set Gabby on his way when he blasted over but I guess not too many people on here would of noticed his good work as they were probably too busy moaning....

People don't notice his good work because there is not that much of it. 3 interceptions and 2 key passes? Wow!

Or maybe it's down to certain people not knowing what they are talking about and only notice a player if he scores from 30 yards or has an exceptional game each week. Sorry to break it to you guys but he had a good game yesterday, AGAIN!

• Like 2

Or maybe it's down to certain people not knowing what they are talking about and only notice a player if he scores from 30 yards or has an exceptional game each week. Sorry to break it to you guys but he had a good game yesterday, AGAIN!

You seem to be talking people down who don't agree with you this weekend. I don't know why.

My opinion gets shot down by over reactionary dribble so forgive me if I decide to play along sometimes.  Could it not be said that the negative crap spouted by some could be classed as better fan bollox when people inform me that I'm wrong and they are right or is it only when being positive that one can be seen to be classing themselves as better fans?

• Like 2

Platt

Cowans

Barry

Mortimer

Bremner

They are great midfielders. Westwood is bang average. So are the rest of our midfield

Platt, Cowans and Mortimer yes I would class as great. Barry good and Bremner just hard working. 

My opinion gets shot down by over reactionary dribble so forgive me if I decide to play along sometimes.  Could it not be said that the negative crap spouted by some could be classed as better fan bollox when people inform me that I'm wrong and they are right or is it only when being positive that one can be seen to be classing themselves as better fans?

Westwood is a neat and tidy midfielder - but how many times a season does he impose himself on a game? Last season it was one. A good premier league midfielder will impose himself on a game.

• Like 1

Well no, not really.

You really think 3 interceptions and 2 key passes is something to rave about?

Well no, not really.

You really think 3 interceptions and 2 key passes is something to rave about?

I said he played 'good'. Hardly raving about his performance am I?   I think all of our midfield played good yesterday. 

Westwood is a neat and tidy midfielder - but how many times a season does he impose himself on a game? Last season it was one. A good premier league midfielder will impose himself on a game.

I agree, he has areas he needs to improve on. I guess we'll see how he gets on over this season and hopefully he keeps improving. 

Ok, is 3 interceptions and 2 key passes enough to be considered good?

When you consider the shouts on here about him being superb etc, I'd have thought he needs to do a lot more than that to have put in a good performance when considering his supposed skill level.

IMO, the naive and premature crys for him to be called up to the England squad, future England captain, makes us tick. Superb, class etc, are now being proved beyond any doubt that they are exactly that: naive and premature and also incorrect.

With that in mind, people seem to now be clutching at any sign of a positive to support that arguement that he's any good.

I'm still waiting for any sort of consistently good performance from this kid, and I'm yet to see it as are many others it would appear.

Westwood, like the whole team has been poor-average at best for the vast majority of the season so far.

Platt

Cowans

Barry

Mortimer

Bremner

They are great midfielders. Westwood is bang average. So are the rest of our midfield

Platt, Cowans and Mortimer yes I would class as great. Barry good and Bremner just hard working.

Just couldn't let it go Paul, could you? ;)

• Like 1

I think people pretend to rate Westwood, as it shows them to have some superior knowledge of the game.

'If you can't see what Westwood does you don't understand football' You get catagorised as a dinosaur, a Gary Megson, you cannot see the benefits of those incredible passing play.

We had the same tripe with Bannan.

The truth is, he is so average it is untrue.

• Like 1

A good midfielder imposes himself on a game, has a passing range further than 5 yards, make forward passes time and time again successfully, , they can dictate the tempo, they can control the game.

I have never saw Westwood do any of this, he is, and has been, a key component of a team that doesn't keep the ball, never controls games home or away.

We have this mentality when he picks the ball up and swtiches it to a flank to praise him for his vision, it is basic. Everything he does it basic,there are players at Southampton for example Cork and Davis that do this for fun and more. the fact we look at him and some kind of technique driven football is sad. Like the players mentioned before, Barry, Milner etc they are proper footballers.

Think it is very difficult to build an effective midfield 3 or 4 when the components are Delph/Cleverly/Westwood/Sanchez.

They just don't complement each other very well.

Westwood is an ok player, Cleverly is possibly slightly better in some aspects.

Deplh is a better midfielder but he's neither creative nor imposing, but when fit a given in the team.

Sanchez should imo be in the team simply because he offers something diffrent from the other midfielders.

So when they are all fit it's between Westy and Cleverly and either way it won't work very well. And the same goes for playing Cleverly on the left.

We soo badly miss a creative playmaker, especially when we have Gabby and Andi moving in from the flanks offering very little but workrate to the team.

• Like 2