Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I must have been watching a different game.Apart from one good free kick, and a good pass to Gabby in the 2nd half, i'm struggling to think of anything good he did.

This. MOTM? Are people serious? Some of his long passes were aimless and useless. I thought he was poor at best last night.

I must have been watching a different game.Apart from one good free kick, and a good pass to Gabby in the 2nd half, i'm struggling to think of anything good he did.

Had plenty of the ball last night, but failed to dictate the pace of the game, had a great opportunity to play Ayew through, and failed, tried a few positive passes in the 1st half, and was hit and miss.For me hasn't got a physical enough presence or a good enough passing game to play in that role.Very impressed with Gueye though.

Before any of you start on, its all about opinions,

Yup, that was the game i saw as well.

Didn't stand out in neither a positive nor a negative sense, did alright

Well he was the only player who had a key pass on our team, infact he had 3 of them. He constantly was looking for an incisive pass and made most of them, he got forward a lot more than usual and got into some dangerous positions. The stats show he tried 7 long balls and made 5 of them, he was the only midfielder willing to take a risk with his passing. He also made a couple of good blocks. His set pieces were good, he landed 2 corners on Villa players heads in dangerous positions and put in a peach of a free kick that one of our players should of got on the end of. He was really good last night and bar a couple of misplaced passes it was a quality all round display from Westy.

Edited by Bunnski

I want you as my agent Bunnski.

I admire your loyalty to him Bunnski, i just don't share it.

What are you on about? My loyalty to him ffs....

He had a good game, how you can't see that is strange to say the least. Nothing to do with being loyal to a player, if he was bad I'd say so but he wasn't and was the only player creating anything apart from Amavi.

I would be interested in a Westwood vs Man United video. He wasn't outstanding, if we're honest he rarely is a match winner.

I just love his calmness on the ball and his ability to move to ball on safely and find team mates in attacking positions. I'm no tiki taka lover but I do value possession. Westy doesn't often play killer balls, although I like his set pieces. But he usually plays the pass before the killer pass.

Easy to ignore but without him a lot of our play wouldn't get beyond our back 4.

Passing was OK, some good but some bad, especially the through ball that ruined an attack first half. A good few set pieces.

You can't chastise a player for trying to create something. Westwood rarely gives the ball away in situations where he shouldn't.

Gueye, Veretout and Ayew were all guilty of giving the ball away needlessly in the build up to moves.

He was solid again today.

Not having a go for trying it, but it was a fairly simple pass and he messed it up. He was decent though and his place is under no threat at the moment.

Sublime pass on the half volley to right to set up an attack.

The two or three freekicks he put into the box were very decent - if only Gestede was on the pitch to attack them at the far post.

He did that time and again. Most of our good play went through him,  a lot of people really underrate how important this is. But Tim Sherwood sure doesn't and that's really all that matters.

• Like 3

Was impressed with him last night - wasn't bullied off the ball in a situation where I thought he would have been in the past. Both him and Clark were guilty of some silly diagonals though. Seems to be an issue with the formation that there is a disconnect between the midfield and front 3 which forces those passes though.

I am not a fan, although I can appreciate what he does. I thought he was good last night, nothing more, certainly not a man of the match performance.

But putting things into perspective, nobody was anything more than "good last night". As I saw it, it was a toss up between Westwood & Amavi for MOTM

With the Gestede factor to consider, I also thought his free kicks were dangerous and can imagine them causing problems in the coming months.

Was impressed with him last night - wasn't bullied off the ball in a situation where I thought he would have been in the past. Both him and Clark were guilty of some silly diagonals though. Seems to be an issue with the formation that there is a disconnect between the midfield and front 3 which forces those passes though.

Nearly every Villa player last night was guilty of giving away the ball including Gana and Amavi. Westwood was probably the least offender given his pivotal role. Undoubtedly there is a disconnect but they have to get the basics right and keep the ****** ball.

All the players were guilty of some misplaced passes and no killer balls....all a bit busy with no edge.....they also have to stretch for each other too much.....they need to tidy up their work.

Though he was poor in the first half with a few wayward passes but much better in the second. Difficult position for midfielders when our attackers offer no variance in movement or lack of intelligent runs (Gabby).

I am not a fan, although I can appreciate what he does. I thought he was good last night, nothing more, certainly not a man of the match performance.

This is how I saw it, and I was deliberately paying close attention to him as its such a popular point that what he does goes unnoticed. Was neat and tidy, kept the ball well and the technique for some of the passes was excellent but nothing really incisive. Amavi head and shoulders above him IMO, would probably have Gueye just pipping him as well.

But putting things into perspective, nobody was anything more than "good last night". As I saw it, it was a toss up between Westwood & Amavi for MOTM

With the Gestede factor to consider, I also thought his free kicks were dangerous and can imagine them causing problems in the coming months.

It is all opinions, of course, but Richards, Amavi and Gueye, and possibly Clark, to me were all better. 

• Like 1