Jordan Bowery

FamousHolteUnion

I would love to see Jordan Bowery score the winning goal in a premier league game more than any other outfield member of our squad.

He would need to actually start some games to do that.

No-one wants him to fail.

But he is pointless as an occasional substitute

He can't exactly be labelled a super-sub either. He's a striker, who is bought on to do a job and stop the other team from scoring. Basically Bowery is used as a very advanced defender by Lambert when he comes on as a sub. If the lad had ambition to have a decent playing career, at his age he should go out on loan, because he gets the odd minute at Villa. Should get playing games somewhere. Maybe a championship club would give him a chance, as long as they don't look at his 4 year record of 10 league goals at Chesterfield. Might come back more accomplished.

Edited by VillaRoy

He's never going to be Christian Benteke but when he comes on, he performs a crucial role for the team and he's quick and strong. It's easy to say Cardiff were completely out of it at 2-0 but Bowery really pressured their back four when he came on and helped us finished the game in the ascendancy.

I also don't agree that he's stifling our 'plethora of talented youngsters' development, either. Grealish is on loan and Graham has just come back from a long term injury lay-off. Who else is really pushing for a first-team place right now? I think it is a great achievement for Robinson to make the match-day squad at only 18. 

I also disagree with whoever said that Derrick Williams leaving (to join a team who are currently 20th in League 1) could be the start of a correlation of us losing our best youngsters. Lambert is constantly giving young players a chance. Remember how many were involved in pre-season. I'm confident he'll bring through the better players successfully when they are actually good enough to play for our first eleven.

• Like 1

He can't exactly be labelled a super-sub either. He's a striker, who is bought on to do a job and stop the other team from scoring. Basically Bowery is used as a very advanced defender by Lambert when he comes on as a sub. If the lad had ambition to have a decent playing career, at his age he should go out on loan, because he gets the odd minute at Villa. Should get playing games somewhere. Maybe a championship club would give him a chance, as long as they don't look at his 4 year record of 10 league goals at Chesterfield. Might come back more accomplished.

Great shout of his squad role.

He is like a defender who plays up the park. Can't be too many of them around.

As far as I can tell whenever called upon he's never let us down and has served his purpose. He's no world beater but not everyone is going to be. He's been given limited opportunities but when he started last season he had pretty solid games especially his game against Stoke where his hard work lead to a goal.

I think people give him a hard time because he's not particularly anything special but surely people can cut him some slack considering his wages are no doubt really low, works hard and cost next to nothing in football terms so is hardly a gamble.

he might not be a Benteke or an Agbonlahor but has he ever let us down. Ive seen Villa forwards with bigger reputations and more talent in the past not give a toss when going onto the pitch in the claret and blue

This. I'm not really sure what his role is or what he's actually done, but I do like him.

He was brought on to get Kozak a morale boosting round of applause from the fans, nothing more. He should have passed to Tekkers twice, his shot was actually pretty close though.

I imagine this thread would be a lot different if he would have smashed the back of the net with his shot. I didnt think he did much wrong against Cardiff. He could have passed to Benteke later on.but he still retained possesion and fed bacuna instead. we were already two up so who cares really.

he might not be a Benteke or an Agbonlahor but has he ever let us down. Ive seen Villa forwards with bigger reputations and more talent in the past not give a toss when going onto the pitch in the claret and blue

And anyone who doesn't give 100% in a Villa shirt is picked up on by the fans and gets all the stick they deserve. Instead of Bowery, I think what we want is actually a player to come on who will give 100% but also has ability as well.

• Like 1

I think he's a Villa fan too? (Iirc?) So let's cut him a bit of slack, he's playing for the club he supports.. It's something we all dream about and well he's a decent footballer from the bits I've seen of him... I'd rather have Bowery than Heskey or Harewood...

• Like 3

I have never understood this signing. And surely one of our younger guys, if they are going to be any good at all, could have harassed the opposition to the same extent. If not, then they should not even be on the bench. If none of them are as good as Bowery, it does not say much for our much vaunted academy.

He's never going to be Christian Benteke but when he comes on, he performs a crucial role for the team and he's quick and strong. It's easy to say Cardiff were completely out of it at 2-0 but Bowery really pressured their back four when he came on and helped us finished the game in the ascendancy.

I also don't agree that he's stifling our 'plethora of talented youngsters' development, either. Grealish is on loan and Graham has just come back from a long term injury lay-off. Who else is really pushing for a first-team place right now? I think it is a great achievement for Robinson to make the match-day squad at only 18. 

I also disagree with whoever said that Derrick Williams leaving (to join a team who are currently 20th in League 1) could be the start of a correlation of us losing our best youngsters. Lambert is constantly giving young players a chance. Remember how many were involved in pre-season. I'm confident he'll bring through the better players successfully when they are actually good enough to play for our first eleven.

That was me. And I did not say, or mean, that Derrick Williams leaving was the start of us losing our best youngsters, only that he was an example of what might happen if they think their chances of playing for the first team are limited.

I can't fault Lambert for this signing. You spend pennies on the likes of Bacuna and Bowery knowing that some will come good, and some won't. It's part of the game, you can't expect every low cost punt to be screaming in match winning goals in the Premier League. The promising signings till far outweigh the few who don't look up to standard.

• Like 2

I can't fault Lambert for this signing. You spend pennies on the likes of Bacuna and Bowery knowing that some will come good, and some won't. It's part of the game, you can't expect every low cost punt to be screaming in match winning goals in the Premier League. The promising signings till far outweigh the few who don't look up to standard.

Absolutely. I agree with what you are saying. But when I looked at some of Lambert's signings, eg. Bacuna and Tonev, I thought not sure, but I can see something there.

Bowery, to be fair, is the only one where I could see nothing to encourage me.

Absolutely. I agree with what you are saying. But when I looked at some of Lambert's signings, eg. Bacuna and Tonev, I thought not sure, but I can see something there.

Bowery, to be fair, is the only one where I could see nothing to encourage me.

No I do agree. Tonev has been largely poor, but most of us can see that there's something in there worth pursuing. Like yourself, I see nothing at all worth bothering with when it comes to Bowery. An extremely limited footballer who doesn't belong at this level at all. Lambert must have seen something when he signed him, but in this instance atleast, he has undoubtedly made a mistake. Entirely forgiveable though.

Â