Jordan Bowery

FamousHolteUnion

It would have been nice to see Callum Robinson at that point in the game why doesn't Lambert blood home grown talent?

??? Really

Because in reality all strikers are interchangable, no matter their build/strengths. Because Bowery's physical attributes didn't help to see out the game. We should have brought on a quick, physically slight striker with no experience. 

It was the last part I was refering to, doesn't blood home grown talent. Our current side has 3, and last season he gave appearances to a few. He clearly does. He also rates Callum, and will blood him in when the time is right.

It would have been nice to see Callum Robinson at that point in the game why doesn't Lambert blood home grown talent?

??? Really

Because in reality all strikers are interchangable, no matter their build/strengths. Because Bowery's physical attributes didn't help to see out the game. We should have brought on a quick, physically slight striker with no experience.

It was the last part I was refering to, doesn't blood home grown talent. Our current side has 3, and last season he gave appearances to a few. He clearly does. He also rates Callum, and will blood him in when the time is right.

Only Burke last season I think.

I am not sure Lambert does blood home grown players unless forced to. Yes he puts faith in younger players but not if you are under 23.

Daniel Johnson deserves a proper cameo. I thought Callum would get an appearence yesterday and Bowery came on.

I also though Grealish would be part of this year's team although I get a loan is good also.

there was a time if you were good enough you were good enough, even if you were 17.

I am not sure Lambert does blood home grown players unless forced to. Yes he puts faith in younger players but not if you are under 23.

Daniel Johnson deserves a proper cameo. I thought Callum would get an appearence yesterday and Bowery came on.

I also though Grealish would be part of this year's team although I get a loan is good also.

there was a time if you were good enough you were good enough, even if you were 17.

Agree with this entirely.

I wish we'd give some our talented bunch of young lads opportunities as subs rather than the likes of Bowery, who clearly from what I've seen, has no real chance of making it in a top level league like the prem. If we can't afford to buy players, then giving our untried young players a chance to prove themselves in the first team. Players like Redmond are making a name for themselves and I don't see much difference between the likes of him and Robinson/Graham in terms of talent.

Lambert said this when asked about big signings in January : "That's the game...it's a challenge," admitted Lambert. "We won't be able to go out and buy the big type of players. We have to look at the market, the young lads. We give them an opportunity and hopefully they take it."

Yesterday, at 2-0 was the perfect opportunity to give a genuine prospect a run out, but instead went for Bowery and with all due respects to Jordan, I cannot see him being Villa caliber in future. Gotta start giving them game time if we are ever going too. Like mentioned, if your good enough, your old enough.

• Like 1

Think back to last season and how many points we gave away in the final minutes of games. What's happening now, yesterday, is we finished the game off professionally. I think the youngsters will be blooded, but you don't have to rush them in. 

Bowery is the answer to finishing a game professionally then? We were 2-0 up with less than 10 minutes to go, perfect chance for someone like Robinson. At 2-0 we were still showing more attacking ambition than Cardiff. If there is ever a chance to blood a youngster, then that was it, because if not in those situations, then when? We're not in the league cup. The 2 on the bench were 18 and 20. Sort of age when you should be picking up minutes if your good enough and when we have so many injuries. The lads will stand less of a chance of making a squad once Gabby, Delph, Luna, Bennett and Weimann are back in the squad. Lambert hasn't really put much faith in our clearly talented youth.

Think McLeish was the last manager to give one or two of our own young players a proper run in the first team, with the likes of Baker and Weimann. I mean according to NextGen, we have some of the best youth in Europe. Think our first team is deprived of quality or competition in a few areas (i.e wings, with Gabby/Weimann practically having no real competition). 1 or 2 of Robinson, Graham or Grealish could provide competition or at least be given the opportunity to show they can. Our most talented youth players are wide midfielders/wingers.

Edited by VillaRoy
  • Like 1

We are going to start losing our young players if they think they will not get their chance, like Derek Williams.

I certainly think that Saturday was an ideal time to bring on one of them in lieu of Jordan Bowery, who in my opinion will never be able to sustain a Premiership career. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that PL hasn't played any of our youths. It's obvious he has some sort of plan for them. What that plan is is anyone's guess, but I think he doesn't want to repeat the mistakes of the past and bring them up too early. How many of your youth products have already flamed out because of early introductions?

I don't think it's a coincidence that PL hasn't played any of our youths. It's obvious he has some sort of plan for them. What that plan is is anyone's guess, but I think he doesn't want to repeat the mistakes of the past and bring them up too early. How many of your youth products have already flamed out because of early introductions?

To be fair, a lot of the youth we've introduced in the past 3/4 years have gone on to have decent careers, many still at Villa. Nathan Baker, Ciaran Clark all regulars Weimann. Whilst ones who haven't really made it at Villa are still playing at a decent level with Delfouneso, Lichaj, Hogg in the championship and Bannan in the Premier League. Then we have someone like Carruthers, who I think played quite well in the few minutes he was given under Eck, but hasn't played a competitive minute under Lambert. His loan should be doing him some good. Like you, I'd love to know what Lambert's plan is with our own youth as there is clearly some talents in our u21's at this moment. Our first team is hardly bursting with talent.

Edited by VillaRoy

Don't think they faded because of early introduction, there were other reasons why.

Not good enough, professional enough, ambitious enough, mentally strong enough... Or sold to Bolton to make room for Zat Knight

Almost every top player in the world started playing early in their senior team, can't see why our academy players would be diffrent, and if they are, something is wrong with how we educate them. Winning the Youth CL is a great feat, but if you can't take the next step you'll end up in the lower leagues or like Michael Johnson

Like I said, I don't know what the particular reasons are. Maybe he really doesn't think they're good enough? It's hardly like our youth set up is setting the league afire when they get onto the senior team recently. 

Agree with this entirely.

I wish we'd give some our talented bunch of young lads opportunities as subs rather than the likes of Bowery, who clearly from what I've seen, has no real chance of making it in a top level league like the prem. If we can't afford to buy players, then giving our untried young players a chance to prove themselves in the first team. Players like Redmond are making a name for themselves and I don't see much difference between the likes of him and Robinson/Graham in terms of talent.

Lambert said this when asked about big signings in January : "That's the game...it's a challenge," admitted Lambert. "We won't be able to go out and buy the big type of players. We have to look at the market, the young lads. We give them an opportunity and hopefully they take it."

Yesterday, at 2-0 was the perfect opportunity to give a genuine prospect a run out, but instead went for Bowery and with all due respects to Jordan, I cannot see him being Villa caliber in future. Gotta start giving them game time if we are ever going too. Like mentioned, if your good enough, your old enough.

my thoughts exactly 

Carruthers barely gets off the bench for MK Dons (could be injury related)

Delf even when fit rarely starts for Blackpool.

Grealish is the only player who seems to start games at Notts County - rarely finishes them.

No idea where Stevens is.

Daniel Johnson and Burke got about 12 minutes game time between them on loan.

I know sometimes it works out, but really i think it should be sink or swim time now for most of these players. These aren't 16 and 17 year olds we are talking about, most are over 18, some are over 20 now.

Edited by VillanousOne

Â