Richard Dunne

Zatman

I would imagine had Houllier stayed then Dunne would be sold and Cuellar/Clark would be the CB pairing. Its like Mancini when he joined City, he took one look at Dunne and decided he isnt the style of defender to take the club forward...Positioning and vision is lacking in the player..Pederson's goal v Blackburn is a prime example of how a player can run from a midfield position to get on the end of the cross and not one of defenders seen it coming.

And any defenders that need 3 players in midfield ahead of them acting as extra defensive cover cant be called great..If these 3 midfielders wanted to go forward we are too exposed at the back...We need a defence that can read the game and defend as a unit without having to rely on the midfield to do half their job.

Well thank God Houllier has been put down!!!

For Pedersen goal it was the fault of the midfield/full back as part of their job on the pitch is to track the late arrivals in the box! It is very difficult for the central defenders to mark a late runner!

As for the defence needing 3 CM's, that's bollox, 2 CM one defensive tackler one box to box is all this team needs! 2 holding is ridiculously negative and not what we are playing. And why oh why does everything have to come back to the bungling buffoon Houllier??? The man near on got us relegated and was at the French FA during one of it's darkest days at the last world cup!! Thank McGrath Randy put him down!!

Its far too early to be saying he's playing well IMO. We've played fulham away and Blackburn and wolves at home. That's about as easy a fixture list as you could hope. Wait until he comes against suarez, augero, rooney, etc. and then we'll see if hes playing well.

I think both Dunne and Collins have improved this season.

I still think not having Walker, whilst hindering us attacking wise, has helped us defensively.

I think it's the fact our defenders are more suited to this style. Sitting back, midfielders deep, let the opposition have it, hope the sort of created chances come from out wide where Dunne and Collins are inevitably strong.

We were far more open last year.

Agreed. A big part of that openness, was Walker getting forward. It was great attacking wise, but it meant he was out of position a lot and that dragged our centrebacks (Collins especially IMO) out of position

i'm not sure that he's at his best.

he's playing ok i guess, but we haven't had any major test yet.

and we conceded a goal against a real poor Blackburn side.

Everton away and Man City away will be the 2 upcoming games where we'll find out whether Dunne is back to his best or not.

the jury is still out.

The Doyle point mentioned earlier in the thread is spot-on. Kevin Doyle gave Dunne and Collins a nightmare last season and the season before - on Saturday he was completely ineffective.

Maybe not back to his best, but who can complain about one goal conceded from three games. Of course our attacking is perhaps suffering, but you need to use a solid defence as a platform to work on that, which is what we'll do - especially when N'Zog gets fit and develops more of an understanding with Bent & Co.

Well if his current level of performance is 'his best' then I will continue to think he is nothing but an above average PL defender.

So far we have played Fulham, Blackburn and Wolves. That is three sides with extremely limited attacking threat and that really should be remembered when people are heaping praise on him.

Even against that opposition he hasn't been brilliant, far from it, sure he has been solid but the mistakes have still been there and I'm sure that bigger errors are around the corner from him. When we start playing some decent sides then we will see how well Dunne is playing.

After his conduct and performances last season I would have been delighted to see him replaced this summer but that clearly isn't going to happen so I hope he continues to improve but I'm not going to start praising him just yet.

He looks better than last season, but its still not at his best. Still looses a little concentration here and there, but i guess he always has done. Not at his best yet, but hes getting there.

Also, have you noticed how Dunne plays better, when we have a solid left back beside him?

Warnock was shite last term, as was Dunne, Warnock has improved so far this term, as has Dunne.

Connection???

I don't like him, never did and never will, he's the most error prone player that I have ever seen in 30 years of football, and he has huge, absolutely undeserved, wages.

He is absolutely uncapable to pass the ball, he always belts it clear instead of building the play from the back.

Awful.

Cjeran Clarke, please Mr ML

I've actually always thought the opposite. Dunne always seems the calm CB in terms of trying to play from the back, even his clearances are usually 'clipped' placed passes, rather than a 'whack' always thought Collins was the one who likes to play longer, still in a directional way but not as calm as Dunne is or patient.

on his day, without doubt, one of the best Central defenders in the league. Man Utd (a) 0-1 springs to mind. Absolutely outstanding!!

Absolutely. 4 time POTY for City. First season with us he made the PFA team of the year.

One crap season under a clueless manager did not make him a shit player. Still our best centre back.

Back to his best? Hmm, abit too soon to say that BUT compared to last season he's like a new player! Seems to have slimmed down aswell. Considering the lack of investment into the team this summer it was vital that him and Collins stepped it up and thankfully so far they have!

Aston Villa defender Richard Dunne concedes he would probably have left the club in the summer if Gerard Houllier had stayed on as manager.

Dunne endured a fractious relationship with the former Villa boss last season and was disciplined by the club following an incident involving coaching staff at a health spa in March.

However, Houllier's health problems saw the Frenchman replaced by Alex McLeish at Villa Park and Dunne is now enjoying playing for the club again.

The Republic of Ireland centre-half has resumed his partnership with James Collins at the back and is pleased there has been a change at the helm.

"I probably would have left if Houllier had stayed," the Republic of Ireland international told the Birmingham Mail.

"I probably would have left if Houllier had stayed. But once there was a new manager coming in, I knew I had a chance to stay."

"But once there was a new manager coming in, I knew I had a chance to stay.

"I spoke with him when he took over and he said he heard of stuff that happened at Villa last year.

"He said if we recaptured our form, he wanted myself and James to be his main centre-backs. That gave us confidence right away."

Despite his return to form, though, Dunne admits he would like to emulate international team-mate Robbie Keane and end his career in the United States.

Keane has linked up with David Beckham at LA Galaxy and Dunne says a similar move would appeal eventually.

He added: "I think it would be nice to live the lifestyle out there. If the opportunity came at 34-35, I'd definitely take it."

Sky Sports

Â