Richard Dunne

Zatman

Erm, you might not believe this - Richard Dunne was ordered off because he did not have a number on his shirt. Ireland's solution? Grab the nearest black marker felt pen, draw on a number five, and send the defender back on. Rolf Harris would be proud.

From BBC commentary..

Think he has been great so far this year and looks back to his best, when he is very good. I am looking for him to start becoming a threat again on set pieces (I should have added when we are attacking!!) as he was when he first arrived.

However, I think last years poor performances were as much down to Dunne as to Houllier from what I can see/hear. I don't think it is a massive secret that he had started drinking again early last season (the problem that blighted him during his early career at Everton) and his performance in the Newcastle game (pre-Houllier) was poor. He had let himself go last season and Houllier's attempts to return some discipline to training were not well received. If Houllier had stayed, I would fully have expected Dunne to have left for £2-3 million, possibly to QPR?, but if this had meant signing Dann for a couple of million more then I think that would have been excellent business.

Richard was absolutely excellent for Ireland this afternoon.A true warrior's performance. Showed real grit and spirit, even playing on with what looked like quite a nasty facial injury. Outstanding! Nice to hear Aston Villa mentioned positively on Sky too!

Richard was absolutely excellent for Ireland this afternoon.A true warrior's performance. Showed real grit and spirit, even playing on with what looked like quite a nasty facial injury. Outstanding! Nice to hear Aston Villa mentioned positively on Sky too!

Still looks leggy though :winkold:

But, yes, he was a colossus this afternoon. 8)

I don't think it is a massive secret that he had started drinking again early last season

It was reported around the same time that he'd been stung in a property deal to the tune of around £25m (effectively his personal fortune gone). Could explain why/if he hit the bottle. I think he's turned the corner now GED has gone, I wish him well and hope we get 2 more good years out of him

Paulmcgrath5 Paul McGrath

Richard Dunne congratulations The Best performance I have seen from any Irish centre half and that includes myself...

That is some praise!

and yet he still gets comments like this...............

I don't like him, never did and never will, he's the most error prone player that I have ever seen in 30 years of football, and he has huge, absolutely undeserved, wages.

He is absolutely uncapable to pass the ball, he always belts it clear instead of building the play from the back.

Awful.

Cjeran Clarke, please Mr ML

Erm, you might not believe this - Richard Dunne was ordered off because he did not have a number on his shirt. Ireland's solution? Grab the nearest black marker felt pen, draw on a number five, and send the defender back on. Rolf Harris would be proud.

From BBC commentary..

Amusing, but I wondered if the number fulfilled UEFA and FIFA’s extensive regulations on numbers....

His performance today has to be seen to be believed.

I'm watching Ireland for 20 years and I've never seen a more committed, courageous, sublime display in an Ireland jersey. Tops the big man McGrath against Italy all those years ago.

You should see the picture of his face after the game. Was more beaten up than Terry Butcher for England - but there was no way he was coming off!

Given was also epic. Please god they bring that form home for us next weekend.

Â