Rino8

10 minutes ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

I don't need to read a forum to 'confirm' a view on a player I watched with my own eyes pretty much every week for 3 seasons. He only had one season where his record dropped properly below 1 in 2 for us, and he missed almost a third of that season with injury.

100% genuine, I searched for the thread and randomly went to page 823 http://www.villatalk.com/topic/9216-christian-benteke/?page=823

All I'm saying is that for the majority of his time at Villa he was deemed by many to be underperforming.

Edited by Genie

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

you're looking at it statistically though and if thats the case what was his goalscoring record like from august till january last season?

just the one goal vs palace in about 20 games wasnt it? and more than that if you were watching it every week it wasnt just the lack of service, his movement was shite, he looked disillusioned with life at villa (not hard to guess why...) he wasnt bullying many defences then, he was the same when he first signed

has he had a season in his 4 yet where he's started really well?

That was the only period where I remember him being poor for a sustained run of games. That was in a team with the shackles very much on thanks to Lambert, where from memory I think we scored 12 goals in 25 games. Admittedly Benteke appeared to lose interest and lacked effort for probably 5-10 games, no more than that, as he was injured for part of that run.

Last season he started well? The one before last he scored 3 goals in the opening 3 games.

34 minutes ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

That was the only period where I remember him being poor for a sustained run of games. That was in a team with the shackles very much on thanks to Lambert, where from memory I think we scored 12 goals in 25 games. Admittedly Benteke appeared to lose interest and lacked effort for probably 5-10 games, no more than that, as he was injured for part of that run.

Last season he started well? The one before last he scored 3 goals in the opening 3 games.

Three in the first two in fact, as well as five in the first five matches.

I'd say that definitely counts as starting a season well.

Klopp admits potential starting line-up mistake

Jurgen Klopp has admitted that leaving Christian Benteke out of the Liverpool starting line-up against Watford was “maybe not the best decision”.

Benteke was left on the bench at Vicarage Road in favour of Roberto Firmino, who started the game on Sunday in a false nine position.

The Brazilian was fairly ineffective in the 3-0 defeat however, and Klopp even chose Divock Origi as his first substitute ahead of compatriot Benteke.

The £32.5million summer signing (or problem?) has now started just four Premier League games of a possible nine since Klopp’s arrival in October, and the German admits he may have made a mistake in not using the Belgian sooner.

“That’s the next problem: if you lose the games everyone is allowed to ask why this player didn’t play, when they wouldn’t after you win,” Klopp said.

“So okay maybe it was not the best decision, I don’t know – we will never find out.

“But for today I decide first for Christian then for Divock, then for Christian. It’s up to the players to change this.”

Klopp then laughed off talk of Benteke joining Chelsea in January, by saying: “If there’s the same probability in all the other transfer rumours I’ve heard since I’ve been here, then I’m pretty cool.

“All I’ve read until now was nil per cent, and I haven’t heard about this.”

http://www.football365.com/news/klopp-admits-potential-starting-line-up-mistake

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

you're looking at it statistically though and if thats the case what was his goalscoring record like from august till january last season?

just the one goal vs palace in about 20 games wasnt it? and more than that if you were watching it every week it wasnt just the lack of service, his movement was shite, he looked disillusioned with life at villa (not hard to guess why...) he wasnt bullying many defences then, he was the same when he first signed

He wasnt fit for 1st 10 games last season and then when he returned he got a red card. Of the games in that period he was available for about 8 and got 2 goals and both were crackers

not to mention he came into a team in that period that didnt even try to score

• 2 weeks later...

It's very up and down with Klopp isn't it.

Liverpool win a game, you think they're going to down something then they lose then they win again then they lose....

I still think there's a very good squad there especially in the final third but Sturridge still gets injured when he farts, Benteke is a big problem and Coutinho to me isn't playing as well as he did under Rodgers.

51 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

benteke is a becoming a laughing stock at liverpool, as most villa fans said, liverpool was the completely wrong move for him.

It makes me sad how they misuse him. But I suppose it shows that he is unable to adapt his game to the team and its his way or no way. 

2 minutes ago, Nicho said:

It makes me sad how they misuse him. But I suppose it shows that he is unable to adapt his game to the team and its his way or no way. 

he didn't adapt to us, he was always a lazy striker, but put the ball in the box and he will score, the only sadness is he shouldn't have moved to Liverpool.

Should have gone to united or chelsea, maybe arsenal if they'd have wanted him. United and Chelsea in particular have been crying out for a striker last season and this. Can't believe ine of them didn't go for him, would have been perfect.

Can see him at Milan in a couple of years, which would be tasty for me. The reason I say that is because his stock will start to fall this year at Liverpool and milan don't mind spending money on players whom they think will get their value back if they play well.

55 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Mignolet, one of the very worst keepers in the league, signs a 5 year deal LOL

The worst first choice keeper in the league.

And I'm including Guzan.

I cannot believe they've given him a new contract.

• Like 1

Â