Rino8

55 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Some of his penalties were quite poor for us, compared to how Hazard takes them. He missed a woeful one at Arsenal that luckily got pushed straight to him

"Some" is a bit harsh.

He only missed two for us, and as you said one of those he scored the rebound.

IIRC the other miss was a pretty smart save from Howard.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Some of his penalties were quite poor for us, compared to how Hazard takes them. He missed a woeful one at Arsenal that luckily got pushed straight to him

Have you seen some of the abysmal penalties Hazard has took in his career?

Edited by rodders0223

Brendan Rodgers was on talk sport this morning, once they got talking about benteke Rodgers said

"klopp rates him, both benteke and his agent flew over to Germany to discuss a move to Dortmund while klopp was manager, so he clearly rates him if he tried to sign him"

id love to know when this meeting took place.

Edited by Jimzk5

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

"Some" is a bit harsh.

He only missed two for us, and as you said one of those he scored the rebound.

IIRC the other miss was a pretty smart save from Howard.

maybe but he never gave me confidence when he was taking them. i thought he missed a few more though

Always felt confident when Benteke stepped up to take a pen for us...well maybe not West Brom but that was more the timing and how crucial the win was going to be.

IIRC one of the misses was a brilliant save from Tim Howard when he clawed it out of the top corner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Brendan Rodgers was on talk sport this morning, once they got talking about benteke Rodgers said

"klopp rates him, both benteke and his agent flew over to Germany to discuss a move to Dortmund while klopp was manager, so he clearly rates him if he tried to sign him"

id love to know when this meeting took place.

I wonder why he didn't join? Assuming he only travelled because Villa gave him permission  (fee agreed). 

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Didn't he miss about 3 for us?

For some reason I seem to remember the keeper saving one but him heading in the rebound

He missed two as far as I can tell. One was a pretty smart save from Howard 

tim-howard-save-against-aston-villa.gif?

Not an amazing penalty, but I'd say the majority of the time a penalty like that goes in.

And the other one, as you said,he scored the rebound.

Benteke_1_medium.gif

But he only took 7 for us, so I guess ratio wise that isn't amazing, but I still think saying "Some of his penalties were quite poor" is harsh. I'd say one of them was poor, and he scored the rebound.

Maybe there are others, but those are the only two I remember and can find.

Edited by Stevo985

When I first started going in the late 90s I remember we used to miss penalties all the time...Yorkie missed a few towards the end of his time here (he's probably the most similar to Benteke in terms of casual run up) then I remember at start of 98 season when we were top of the league we must've missed about 5 penalties in a row...Alan Thompson missed first two he took, then Merson missed one on his home debut as did Dublin at home to Liverpool in one of the craziest games I've ever seen at Villa Park. Bizzarely Hendrie was the only one to score during that run and he never took another one.

Then we had Angel who never filled me with confidence taking a pen, his ratio must've been the worst of our regular strikers of last 20 years.

Last 10 years we've been a lot better at them...the shed load we got during the MON era were pretty much always converted by either Milner, Young or Carew (apart from his Newcastle attempt which fly past my window the other day) and we even won a couple of shoot outs.

Obviously we don't get many these days as we're clueless past the halfway line but Ayew seems capable based on how many he took at Lorient and his West Ham one was confident enough so think he'd score a few more in the run in if we get them.

On 27/01/2016 at 19:50, villa4europe said:

Didn't he miss about 3 for us?

For some reason I seem to remember the keeper saving one but him heading in the rebound

Against Arsenal, but I think he changed the way he takes them after Howards save

Â