Speculation: Steven Fletcher (Wolves)

KjParton

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2012/07/30/sunderland-in-10-million-bid-for-steven-fletcher/

Wolves were today considering a £10m bid for Steven Fletcher from Sunderland – as Aston Villa prepared to make their pitch for the striker.

The club are also understood to have turned down modest offers for wingers Matt Jarvis and Michael Kightly from un-named sides, while keeper Dorus De Vries is the subject of interest from Liverpool.

Club sources say the Black Cats made the approach for Fletcher at the end of last week.

But news of Sunderland’s bid quickly met with a hands-off response from chief executive Jez Moxey.

“We’re not getting drawn on offers for players in or out,” said Moxey when asked about the bid.

“Our best players are not for sale; we want to keep them and build the strongest possible team for the season ahead.

“We will do everything we can to retain the players we want to keep and continue to look to strengthen with new signings.”

Sunderland have long been interested in Fletcher with boss Martin O’Neill seeking fresh firepower following the departures of Asamoah Gyan and Nicolas Bendtner.

They have now firmed up their interest with the first serious offer for the 25-year-old striker, who has also attracted interest from Stoke and Fulham.

But Villa are also understood to have made contact with Wolves as boss Paul Lambert looks to strengthen his strike force after the exit of Emile Heskey and with injury doubts over Darren Bent and Gabby Agbonlahor.

It remains to be seen whether Wolves will be tempted by the bid from Wearside, however, especially as Fletcher’s former club Burnley are due 15 per cent of any profit on his £7m transfer to Molineux.

That would mean the Clarets would be due £450,000 on a £10m sale, leaving Wolves with £2.55m profit.

Fletcher missed Saturday’s 3-0 friendly win against Walsall with a minor ankle injury suffered in training last week.

Stoke are interested in Kightly and Jarvis, who is also wanted by Fulham.

Wolves won’t allow De Vries to leave without another experienced replacement for Wayne Hennessey, who is out until October.

Might be lazy journalism? i'm not sure, and sorry if its already been posted!

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get Guidetti in for £5-6 million than this guy for double that.. Guidetti strikes me as the kind of player that will score lots of goals regardless of the league. Fletcher is a proven goalscorer that much is true, but it also makes him overpriced.

He ain't worth that kind of money. Burnley got him from Hibs for £3m, which was an astute buy - our strategy this summer is to get these type of signings at that stage rather than when they've been over-inflated by a couple of decent seasons in the Premier League so I would not expect us to be considering him.

Think its an easy link to us and maybe contact was made but that may only mean we called and asked how much, hopefully our reaction was "what, 10-15 mill? F**k off, bye" - don't see this as the sort of deal or money PL would spend on an ok brit striker, no thanks.

I seem to be in the minority but personally I think Fletcher is a good player, not great but certainly decent. He is good in the air, has good vision and would I think be a good support striker to an out and out goal scorer like Bent. At the age of 25 he is young enough and he got 12 goals last season in a piss poor side, personally I think we could do a lot worse.

I wouldn't though want us to pay anything close to £10m and I can't imagine Lambert doing so, not when he has worked the transfer market the way he has done so so far.

I can certainly see O'Neill paying that sort of fee for him and ultimately I'm sure that is where he will end up.

I seem to be in the minority but personally I think Fletcher is a good player, not great but certainly decent. He is good in the air, has good vision and would I think be a good support striker to an out and out goal scorer like Bent. At the age of 25 he is young enough and he got 12 goals last season in a piss poor side, personally I think we could do a lot worse.

I wouldn't though want us to pay anything close to £10m and I can't imagine Lambert doing so, not when he has worked the transfer market the way he has done so so far.

Agree with all of that.

I've always been impressed with his performances and he's a decent goal scorer.

I wonder if the reaction would be different if his name and nationality were different.

Agree with all of that.

I've always been impressed with his performances and he's a decent goal scorer.

I wonder if the reaction would be different if his name and nationality were different.

Why would the reaction be different? If the price was the same then so would the reaction.

ILWT. Personally I'd prefer Guidetti but if Lambert is trying to implement a system where Fletcher fits better then who am I to judge. I'll wait 'til we've actually bought him though. At the mo' it's all very tenuous.

I can certainly see O'Neill paying that sort of fee for him and ultimately I'm sure that is where he will end up.

Agree with all of this. Would take Fletcher here but not for the fee that they would be demanding. Think he is a decent player and has the ability to grab some goals.

i think Fletcher is a good player and finisher especially considering he has played flor Burnley and WOlves. Problem is the fee and is too much. for 8-10 million id take a gamble

Â