Speculation: Steven Fletcher (Wolves)

KjParton

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MON being MON, he will go back to his chairman and demand the bid is increased to £12m and wages of 65k a week

Thank F@ck he's no longer with us

Also this

I seem to be in the minority but personally I think Fletcher is a good player, not great but certainly decent. He is good in the air, has good vision and would I think be a good support striker to an out and out goal scorer like Bent. At the age of 25 he is young enough and he got 12 goals last season in a piss poor side, personally I think we could do a lot worse.

I wouldn't though want us to pay anything close to £10m and I can't imagine Lambert doing so, not when he has worked the transfer market the way he has done so so far.

I can certainly see O'Neill paying that sort of fee for him and ultimately I'm sure that is where he will end up.

Same for me Trent.

Wolves did sign him for 7m and he's continued to score goals for them so don't think 10m is that ridiculous a figure.

He does fit the bill of the targetman figure Lambert seems to be in for.

He's a good player!

Not the most glamorous of players, not the best in the world either but I really like him.

Works hard, scores goals, a team player etc... still relatively young (I thought he was about 30 odd). Its not my money so if Lambert thinks he is worth it then lets get him in.

Doyle dosen't really score goals though so he'd just be another Heskey.

The problem we've had for years is we don't have a regular third striker in the squad who can hit a decent amount of goals from coming off the bench.

Think back to the MON years...Carew and Gaby scoring fairly regularly and then....Heskey and Harewood.

Quartet of Bent, Gabby, Fletcher and Weimann sounds good to me.

No, he scored 11 league goals last season. 17 all told, if you include 3 in the FA Cup and 3 in the Europa League. Though to be fair to Defoe, where I'd normally deride him for bagging his goals in gluts against the poorest teams this wasn't the case last season. In fact, he probably had the best campaign of his career if you take into account the limited amount of gametime he got (goal every 118 minutes in the league).

Back to Fletcher; though I agree (for the most part) that we shouldn't be spending £10m+ on him (if we have that kind of cash, for me it's better spent elsewhere), ultimately any discussions on what we think he's worth are pointless; as their best striker with 2 years to run on his contract, his "worth" is whatever Wolves want for him.

He's a good player. £10m sounds steep because he's coming from Wolves and is therefore quite unfashionable. But for a decent pretty young striker it isn't a huge amount. I think if he gets to a better club he could do very well and make the £10m sound very good business. Don't think it will be us though.

Â