Speculation: Steven Fletcher (Wolves)

KjParton

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like Gazton and Richard to tell us what is going to go down!
Well it's erly days but I am going to say

Reading

Southampton

Wigan

:lol:

Sunderland have made a £10m bid for Wolves striker Steven Fletcher.

Continue reading the main story

“Our best players are not for sale”

Jez Moxey

Wolves chief executive

The offer is understood to be under consideration, with Wolves waiting to see whether Aston Villa decide to firm up their interest in the 25-year-old.

Fletcher's former club Burnley will be due 15% of any profit Wolves make on a player they paid £7m for in 2010.

Sunderland are short of attacking options following the departures of Asamoah Gyan and Nicolas Bendtner. Fulham and Stoke are also interested.

"We are not getting drawn on offers for players in or out," Wolves chief executive Jez Moxey told the Wolverhampton Express and Star.

"Our best players are not for sale; we want to keep them and build the strongest possible team for the season ahead. We will do everything we can to retain the players we want to keep and continue to look to strengthen with new signings."

Sunderland suffered defeat by Hartlepool on Friday, with none of manager Martin O'Neill's three strikers - Fraizer Campbell, Connor Wickham and Ryan Noble - able to find the net.

Fletcher has two years remaining on his contract at Molineux, leaving chief executive Jez Moxey in a strong position to negotiate the best possible deal.

No Sunderland striker reached double figures in the goal tally last season, with Bendtner and Stephane Sessegnon the top-scorers with eight.

"We know where the problem is. You just need to look at our scoring record last season," O'Neill said last week. "This puts pressure on other players to score, either from set-pieces or midfield.

"Eventually centre-forwards have to weigh in and, at the moment, you would want to know who and when someone is going to score 15 goals in a Premier League season."

BBC

Chris Sutton then? (for Celtic not us)

Yup Sutton counts. Although when it comes to buying strikers that score goals in the Premier League, he struggled with us and I think he will with Sunderland too.

I think he places too much emphasis on work rate as opposed to movement and finishing ability.

even if we were interested MON will be offering silly money and silly wages anyway....

mon has no say in the money offered either for transfer fees or wages at sunderland

This has the feel of Wolves trying to up the bidding for Fletcher to see if they can entice us to go above £10m. Note the original story came from "club sources".

I actually think Fletcher is good and would suit Lambert's style of play well but whether we are seriously interested is much more doubtful based on these stories.

Has MON ever bought a decent striker in his career? at Villa he got Carew in swap but rubbish in Heskey and Marlondinho

It's unfair not to credit MON with Carew. He would have known what he was getting, he wouldn't have just accepted some random player in return for one of out most saleable assets at the time.

Whether he would have approached them on the open market I am less sure, he is rather hampered by his steadfast policy of buying domestic players. I'm not an MON basher but I'm mightily relieved that we are no longer hampered in the same way.

Fletcher is a good striker, and his movement is excellent considering the balls that were played to him over the past few years at the wolves/ burnley.

Final offer Jez........£6 million + the Fonz.

Take it or leave it

His contract is up in the summer of 2014 so it's not even a huge contract that's making his price high. The trouble is that if Blunderland open with £10m then you won't get him for any less than that, unless Fletcher is desperate to go to our club and he forces Wolves to accept our lower offer; which I doubt would happen.

Â