Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Yep Richard Dunne was a better player because he was Irish, on that basis Stephen Ireland was better than Milner and Enda Stevens was better than Bouma  :rolleyes:

fact is Dunne was a better player, after Melberg and Laursen he was the best centre half we had in last 15 years

Not exactly the same comparisons. there's clearly a much bigger gulf between those players than there is between Vlaar and Dunne.

On what basis though? He was good for maybe two thirds of a season and that was it. The following two seasons he was pretty average and at times very poor, no doubt due in part to the loss of Milner. Hardly a fact at all.

Edited by Mantis

Vlaar never got near the level of consistency that Dunne did in that season, he also won 4 Man City player of the seasons carrying Richards and Onouha and has had brilliant games playing next to St.Ledger, McShane and Darren O'Dea without Milner

Vlaar has been good at his best but nothing better and he couldnt do the same with Baker, Clark or Okore and fact is his bullying by James Hanson was a reason Bradford knocked us out

Vlaar never got near the level of consistency that Dunne did in that season, he also won 4 Man City player of the seasons carrying Richards and Onouha and has had brilliant games playing next to St.Ledger, McShane and Darren O'Dea without Milner

Vlaar has been good at his best but nothing better and he couldnt do the same with Baker, Clark or Okore and fact is his bullying by James Hanson was a reason Bradford knocked us out

That's why I said in terms of ability. I think if we're factoring in injuries as well then it's a lot closer. Certainly for Villa though I'd still rank Vlaar as better considering that Dunne spent a good 30/35% or so of his time here injured just like Vlaar.

Equally though, Dunne too was good at his best but often wasn't at that level.

Edited by Mantis

Vlaar has been far more consistent than Dunne.....he's had every Christmas off through injury!!

Makes you think he was moonlighting and putting a red suit on.

Dunne in his first couple of seasons at Villa was so ridiculously better than anything Vlaar has shown that it's incredible anyone would debate it. Backed by stats, eye test and so on. Collins was more on par with Vlaar overall, but still a better premier league player than Vlaar imo. 

Dunne and Collins were so much better in a villa shirt than Ron vlaar. Dunne has been much better than vlaar for most of his career and Collins is still better than vlaar now.

Nah. Collins is dire. Constantly drawn to the ball and away from his man. That was still obvious when we played Wham last.

He is, however, strong in the air - so he looked half decent against us as we kept hooking high balls into Benteke.

• Like 3

Vlaar at his best is absolutely head and shoulders above Dunne and Collins at theirs. Sadly he is rarely at his best so I can sort of see why its been suggested that they are better than him.

Opinions like assholes, etc, etc. I'm OK with this. But any evidence to back up your claim with?

Vlaar at his best is absolutely head and shoulders above Dunne and Collins at theirs. Sadly he is rarely at his best so I can sort of see why its been suggested that they are better than him.

Opinions like assholes, etc, etc. I'm OK with this. But any evidence to back up your claim with?

Evidence? It's my opinion based on what I've seen of them, that's all the evidence I need to form an opinion. I'm not going to go trawling through stats to try and prove that i'm 'right' but if you want to do so to prove me 'wrong' then go nuts.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

an opinion is an entitlement where evidence doesnt have to be provided, but does hugely help your case in a disagreement lol

simply, vlaar had a fair crack at the whip but was injured for far too long which caused us to have an unstable defense and cost us points.

yes, its a shame to see him leave, but not as much as it would of done had he been more reliable, even concrete breaks.

like literally every player in the villa squad*, i'm not pushed if ron goes. very good defender on his day, but injured too often. his regular absences meant we couldn't build a sustained alternative back line that didn't include him, because when he was back he was in the team, shaking everything up again. on paper, it's weakening us, absolutely, but i'm not sure if it will do all that much harm in the long run

(i include everyone, including benteke and delph in that - there's just nobody in the squad at the moment that i'd be genuinely gutted to see go)

Agree with this - very few clubs have proper cult heroes now days, one club men are a thing of the past. The way Grealish has gone about the whole Ireland/England business suggests to me that he'll have no quams doing the same to Villa when the time comes. It has to be down to agents whispering in their ears non stop.

Does anyone think it's strange that after the club said only days ago that Vlaar had been offered a new deal, with him subsequently saying he thinks he can go a step above us, that he's now injured and has been listed on the Premier Leagues website as officially released?

It looks like he may of gone from being offered a deal and thinking he is too good for us to having no club and being injured which may put potential suitors off in the space of a couple of days. I for one think it's quite iRonic...

From my understanding we can still negotiate a deal with him before June 30th and that he isn't "released" in that sense.

After that date he is released and can sign on a free transfer to another club.

It's looking likely he will move on anyway

Â