Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Don't want him to go but if he went for £6-7m he is replaceable. If we do have to replace him I would want us to bring in someone of similar age and not another 20-21 year old.

Assuming any fee received would be used on a replacement (unlikely IMO) who would you replace Vlaar with for £6m that would join a club in our position for the wages we could offer?

I wouldn't have been able to suggest Vlaar's name two summers ago before he signed even though I knew who he was - but the players are out there. We're still a PL club and can offer a big step up from the French or Dutch leagues. We're not that different to the club that Vlaar himself signed for, modest wages and fee.

Don't want him to go but if he went for £6-7m he is replaceable. If we do have to replace him I would want us to bring in someone of similar age and not another 20-21 year old.

Assuming any fee received would be used on a replacement (unlikely IMO) who would you replace Vlaar with for £6m that would join a club in our position for the wages we could offer?

I wouldn't have been able to suggest Vlaar's name two summers ago before he signed even though I knew who he was - but the players are out there. We're still a PL club and can offer a big step up from the French or Dutch leagues. We're not that different to the club that Vlaar himself signed for, modest wages and fee.

The club Vlaar signed for was admittedly in complete free fall on the pitch, but there was money there for a bit of a squad overhaul and the owner wasn't trying to bin the club off. 2012 Vlaar wouldn't join this club now IMO, and even he wouldn't be a like for like replacement for established captain 2014 Vlaar with 2 years of prem experience. The player might be out there but they probably wouldn't come here with all the uncertainty overshadowing everything.

It was a stroke of genius to let one of our best players run his contract down to the point he had only 12 months left on it and in a World Cup year to boot.

I wonder which genius was responsible for that little gem? Faulkner, Lerner or surely not Lambert. Utter shambles

No, you are right.

In the midst of relegation battles we should definitely be handed out new contracts, and pay rises, and who is to say he would want to commit amongst the uncertainty.

But no, erveryone is an idiot, in hindsight.

How about they didn't let the club captain to get into the last 18 months of his contract, someone who has proven to be one of our most effective players. There would be a much better chance of him signing a contract last summer than there is of him signing post impressive work cup. No hindsight required on that.

• Like 2

It was a stroke of genius to let one of our best players run his contract down to the point he had only 12 months left on it and in a World Cup year to boot.

I wonder which genius was responsible for that little gem? Faulkner, Lerner or surely not Lambert. Utter shambles

No, you are right.

In the midst of relegation battles we should definitely be handed out new contracts, and pay rises, and who is to say he would want to commit amongst the uncertainty.

But no, erveryone is an idiot, in hindsight.

Did you miss the fact that new deals were given to Clark, Baker, Westwood and Guzan then? Guzan thoroughly deserved theirs but, the other three? What did they do to outshine Vlaar?

Vlaar should have been given a new deal before the World Cup started.

• Like 2

Completely theoretical and based on no rumours or anything but would you swap Vlaar for the return of Ashley Young? You could look at it as Vlaar leaving anyway or just on the merits of a deal/ overall value.

If Vlaar is to leave (and to Utd) I think this may sweeten the deal despite Young's poor few seasons. He likes being a bigger fish in a smaller pond.

But if we could convince Vlaar to sign for another few years then I'd prefer that.

I don't think we'll manage to convince Vlaar to sign a new contract. But I'd certainly hope we hold out for more than £8m considering our position. 

Edited by PieFacE

Anyone happy to see Vlaar leave for 6 or 7 million pounds is living in 2010.

Agreed given circumstances at that price we better off keeping him because in current market we wont be able to replace him for that.

Not in position, given 2 of our centre backs are generally poor.One is unknown after a year out and one is Sendaros..to take a punt on anothet unknown from overseas and hope they make it in Prem League.

If he does go Man U how about a swap for smalling & zaha with utd paying most of their wages

I'd rather I play for Villa myself than have Smalling. Anyway, I can't see him training with Benteke, the lad probably still has nightmares.

• Like 4

Koeman saying Vlaar is an option should they sell Lovren.... Well, I have something for you Ronald, how does 'back the **** up, bitch..' Sound?

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

Well if they manage to sell Lovren for the £25m that they want, they can get Liverpool to send that money direct to us and we'll send Vlaar gift wrapped to them :P

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Ronald Koeman sees it down to pick up. Ron Vlaar to Southampton The Orange defender Dejan Lovren may need to replace.

"Vlaar would certainly be an option. But he's not cheap, now I think. Well, we'll see," said Koeman at FOX Sports . The new club, the former coach of Feyenoord played two exhibition games this week in the Netherlands. Koeman and Vlaar previously worked in 2011 and 2012 along with Feyenoord. The central defender was then for three years at Aston Villa. Vlaar was at the World Cup in Brazil, one of the stars of the Dutch national team. Lovren in the St. Mary's Stadium should Vlaar probably the successor of Dejan Lovren. The Croat told the media that he has ears to a transfer to Liverpool. "Something like that a player must not do, that's not nice." "We now await calm the situation down, until that time, it just does Lovren. I do not want to lose him, but if you must, or the grand prize," said Koeman.

http://www.goal.com/nl/news/786/transfers/2014/07/18/4968085/koeman-vlaar-is-zeker-een-optie

^ That is the article containing Koeman's comments.

As you say Deeps, he has basically broken the rules or at least so I believe. He does say that he'd be expensive, rightly so too, muppet.

Â