Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

It's not against the rules to publicly declare an interest in another club's players is it? I thought it was just bad etiquette.

Correct. He hasn't broken the rules but people assume to know the rules think he has.

Put in very basic terms, talking about another clubs player is allowed but bad form but if he had said "Vlaar want's to join us" then he would have broken the rules. That is why O'Leary got done when at Villa and so many other public comments on players go unpunished, there is a small but important difference.

Anyway, do one Koeman.  

It's not against the rules to publicly declare an interest in another club's players is it? I thought it was just bad etiquette.

Correct. He hasn't broken the rules but people assume to know the rules think he has.

Put in very basic terms, talking about another clubs player is allowed but bad form but if he had said "Vlaar want's to join us" then he would have broken the rules. That is why O'Leary got done when at Villa and so many other public comments on players go unpunished, there is a small but important difference.

Anyway, do one Koeman.  

Always thought that you could only speak about purchasing a player from a club in public if you had an agreement with said club in place already. Cheers for putting us straight though :P

Anyway, I agree, do one Koeman. Do one indeed.

I guess next week we will see droopy barking from his car window about Vlaar.  :rant:

QPR have agreed a fee for Caulker and just signed Rio Ferdinand, can't see them trying to get another CB personally.

• Like 2

I guess next week we will see droopy barking from his car window about Vlaar.  :rant:

QPR have agreed a fee for Caulker and just signed Rio Ferdinand, can't see them trying to get another CB personally.

I know, I am just angry about small clubs speaking out about our Ron.  

Edited by GENTLEMAN

A season with him as our captain is worth way more than whatever other clubs would be willing to offer us with him on a one year contract. Not as if we'll get enough money to replace him with anyone close to the level of quality, or even if we do sell him that the cash will be entirely re-invested.

• Like 2

A season with him as our captain is worth more than a rubbish offer. However, if a club offered us £10m+ for him (which after his World Cup, isn't too far fetched), I'd be fairly confident that Lambert could find one or two players of similar quality. Like you say, the issue is whether he'd be given the money to spend.

I think I'm somewhat resigned to the prospect of him not being with us next season, but I would hope he'd go somewhere bigger than Southampton, who aren't even in Europe. I don't really see the point in the move for him, especially when he's club captain here, but then I suppose we're such a mess that maybe he'll just be desperate to get out. 

A season with him as our captain is worth more than a rubbish offer. However, if a club offered us £10m+ for him (which after his World Cup, isn't too far fetched), I'd be fairly confident that Lambert could find one or two players of similar quality. Like you say, the issue is whether he'd be given the money to spend.

Hmmm... Just curious, why do you believe Lambert can find one or two players of similar quality, but those who want to buy Ron can't, so they must pay extra to get Ron?

I think you're underestimating the influence of Ron on the team. A player pretty close to the same attributes may well not have that influence that has been evidenced in this thread over and over again. At the very least it's a risk I'm not willing to take in our current situation, where we don't have the luxury to weaken our team even marginally.

• Like 2

I didn't say these other clubs can't find players of Ron's quality. But when teams are willing to spend big, they don't need to risk buying players without Prem experience. They can simply go for the 'tried and tested' players that cost more. I'm not underestimating Ron's influence either. I'm a big fan of him, but with good money, he would be replaceable (though I'd rather not!)

I didn't say these other clubs can't find players of Ron's quality. But when teams are willing to spend big, they don't need to risk buying players without Prem experience. They can simply go for the 'tried and tested' players that cost more. I'm not underestimating Ron's influence either. I'm a big fan of him, but with good money, he would be replaceable (though I'd rather not!)

I know Rob, but they all know Vlaar is more expensive now than he perhaps should be.

My other point was more like: we know the big impact Vlaar has in our team. Even we were able buy a player with similar abilities, would he have the same impact? I think it's a big risk with no upside.

We know Vlaar has a big impact on our team, but other than the fact that he's a 'natural leader', it's down to his confidence and the performances that he's put in for us and Holland. If Lambert was to bring in a defender who played really well in the World Cup, that'd be one tick in a box already. A new defender wouldn't have the same impact as Vlaar straight away, but if they put in 6 months of quality performances, then the players would respect him and view him as a huge influence, like they did with Vlaar, after his first 6 months.

Vlaar is not some Lionel Messi type of irreplaceable player.

If the option was to lose Vlaar for nothing next summer, or to have (for example) £12m for him now. I would actually take the £12 million. Yes, it would be a risk this season, if we brought in a player with no Premier League experience, but the other option would be worse next summer. Losing Vlaar for free, and having no money for a replacement, would be awful for Villa, in our current state of limbo.

The third option, of course, is that Vlaar stays and signs a new contract. This is the ideal outcome for us, but I have a worrying feeling that, if big clubs are interested, that Ron might want to finish his career at the top end.

Â