Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Yep, I don't think he's any good, nothing anyone is going to say will change my opinion

Like I said I didn't expect my view of him to be popular but it's not wrong to have an opinion even if it's unpopular ;)

Hand on heart you genuinely believe Vlaar is average (poor in your words) at best and by extension (seeing as that was him at his best) was poor last night?

My opinion is he's an average player, I can't recall any games in a Villa shirt where I can say I thought he played above a 5 out of 10.

He had an okay game last night, nothing outstanding but I thought it was a poor game anyway. Not that I care what's in the Daily Mail but they rated him the best Dutch player last night with a massive 6.5/10 which is better than I would have given him.

Check out Villa's stats with and without Vlaar.

SeanO, you're wrong.

You're entitled to hold your opinion, and I respect your right to hold it.

But just so you know, your opinion is incorrect. Not even slightly inaccurate. Just plain wrong.

The opposite of true.

• Like 1

If the uncertainty at Villa is really that much of an issue I certainly would not balme Vlaar for wanting to leave.

In some respects he may have already been 'tapped up' most likely and most of us would do the same if we were in his position.

I think he's as good as gone...

Yep, I don't think he's any good, nothing anyone is going to say will change my opinion

Like I said I didn't expect my view of him to be popular but it's not wrong to have an opinion even if it's unpopular ;)

Hand on heart you genuinely believe Vlaar is average (poor in your words) at best and by extension (seeing as that was him at his best) was poor last night?

My opinion is he's an average player, I can't recall any games in a Villa shirt where I can say I thought he played above a 5 out of 10.

He had an okay game last night, nothing outstanding but I thought it was a poor game anyway. Not that I care what's in the Daily Mail but they rated him the best Dutch player last night with a massive 6.5/10 which is better than I would have given him.

Check out Villa's stats with and without Vlaar.

I already said he was better than the chuckle brothers but doesn't make him a good player. How anyone could be even slightly surprised that our results were better when one of the chuckle brothers wasn't playing and Vlaar was I find hilarious.

We are a very poor team in fact the only time I can recall a worse Villa team was in 87, I rate Vlaar as a average player in a poor team. The real point of my post (which only a few posters have noticed) was replying to people talking about being offered 10m for him, if this happens we should take the money and run imo.

Shock! Horror! Alert! SeanO has an opinion that differs from the VT majority :bang:

As said my opinion is formed from watching him play for the only team I care about and he just doesn't preform well, none of them do.

@SeanO

Did you ever think his performances last season may have suffered because of what he was playing with?

I for one  really hope we keep him, but i have a feeling he will be going to Man Yoo.

One of the standout defenders in the world cup and last night he stopped the greatest player on the planet from doing anything, in fact Messi looked very average and you could even say Vlaar had him in his pocket...

FFS he's average at best, granted he is the best of a the bad bunch we have but if a club wants to spend 10m on him then Lambert would be mad to pass it up.

Sorry but I don't rate him at all.

How apt that your sig is "never argue with an idiot they’ll drag you down to their level and beat you through experience".

• Like 1

If we were to get 10 million for him, it would be spent on about 3-4 players who no doubt would be of the same quality of the likes of sylla,tonev etc. Vlaar is worth so much more than that to us at the moment, so for me I'd be doing everything in my power to keep him at the club whether it's offering a bumper deal or get 1 final season out of him

The real point of my post (which only a few posters have noticed) was replying to people talking about being offered 10m for him, if this happens we should take the money and run imo.

Then much like your opinion on Vlaar I disagree entirely.

Yes but I'm not the club, I'm a fan and therefore I wouldn't want us to take £10m for him. So I wouldn't snap a clubs hand off that were offering £10m which is the point I was responding to.

As for what the club/Randy would do, well the way I see it Randy needs us to be a secure PL club in order to sell us which is seemingly his only goal. We obviously stand a better chance of staying in the PL with Vlaar, so the benefit to the club of keeping him far out strips £10m in my view.

So looking at it logically from Lerner's position he is better holding on to him as an asset and trying to sell before the club before the end of the season. If he then leaves for free it doesn't matter to Lerner one bit.

But that is just how I would view it, I've long since given up thinking Lerner will use the same sort of logic.

• Like 3

To be fair to Sean I don't think playing well in a tournament proves you are top class. Was baros? Poborksy? I'm sure there's plenty of other examples.

I think vlaar has been superb this world cup and showed moments of quality last season. I don't think he's as poor as a some but I also don't think he's as good as he's managed to perform this world cup.

An important player for us though.

I wouldn't even take £100m because none of it would be reinvested. The money is only good to us fans if it's going to be used on the squad.

That's it exactly. I would keep the player over the 10m or whatever fee we got for him. We can't stick a wedge of cash in at CB and I don't really trust that the money would bring in another player of Ron's quality. We need to keep him if we can, but I would not blame him for leaving if he has better offers. And he will.

I wish every other Premier League manager had the same opinion of him as SeanO, then we'd be guaranteed to keep him.

I think Vlaar is still improving. In two years time, I think he'll be considered one of the top CB's in the Premier League. Sadly, he won't be with Villa at that point.

• Like 1

I still think we will lose Vlaar and the way he performed in the WC has confirmed that thought. Even though I reckon he would have gone anyway but maybe we can bump up the asking pricing now.

I just hope we are able to get decent money for him and all of it is spent on a direct replacement.

Â