General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christer you have a point however, the set pieces stats cannot be ignored, the constant schoolboy errors made from them was a joke.

How many did we score from set pieces?

am sure was 1 FA Cup goal vs Arsenal all season

Rob, that makes no sense, if a defender can keep his job minimum isn't that doing a good job, isn't making it look easy doing a good job. I'd rather him play a short pass to keep the ball than a launched Dunne or the hoof from Collins.

I'd rather that too, but there aren't just two options in football.

I'm sure there were occasions when he could have held onto the ball for a few seconds, or he could have picked out a player that would have put us in a better position.

I'm sure, if I got a recording of that game, I would see why I came away from the game thinking 'Clark looks like a good player. BUT he did get rid of the ball as soon as he could/ played everything simple/ passed the responsibility to the more experienced players at every opportunity'.

I don't see how that makes no sense SIT? A defenders job isn't simple to tackle and pass the ball. Defenders can hold onto the ball, pass the ball forward & even take the ball forward if it helps the team.

I don't completely agree with Christer's assessment and I really do think the back 4 aren't good enough, but he has a point. You also have to take into account the fact that our midfield weren't holding onto possession and that our manager was setting us up to defend for the entire game. Most teams are bound to let in goals if they give up the possession and weather attack after attack for 90 minutes.

That being said, part of the reason we lost so much possession is because our defenders are too busy hoofing the ball out as far as they can instead of passing to a nearby teammate.

Christer you have a point however, the set pieces stats cannot be ignored, the constant schoolboy errors made from them was a joke.

How many did we score from set pieces?

am sure was 1 FA Cup goal vs Arsenal all season

I knew it was bad but f**king hell that is atrocious.

The back four, which not were the same back four all the time, Hutton, Collins, Dunne and Warnock, gets lot off critism for the result of last season. Villa conceded 53 goals an avarege of 1,39 goals per game. That makes us number 13 in the leauge. We just made 39 goals, 0,97 per game and number 19 in the leauge.

The most common results were 0-0 and 1-1. We hade a clean sheet in 24% of the games (Norwich 8%).

We conceded more then 2 goals in 4 games, Man city 1-4 (away Hutton, Dunne, Clarke Warnock)m Man united 0-4 (away Hutton, Collins, Baker, Lichaj), Arsenal 0-3 (away Hutton, Collins, Cuellar, Warnock) and Chelsea 2-4 (home Lichaj, Collins, Baker, Warnock).

So I think it is hash to blame the back four as much as many do. The big problem was that we scored to little goals.

Hutton, Collins, Dunne and Warnock are not worldbeaters, but I think they deserve more credit then they got

but there wasnt just 4 defenders at the back, that was the whole issue.

we had 4 defenders in defence, nomally at least 1 or 2 more defenders in midfield and the rest of the outfield players were always told to get back and not attack

so of course if you keep 11 men behind the ball for 80% of a game, the opposition are less likely to score a hat full

you also stand less chance of scoring , which again was painfully obvious to all but 1.

the defence was shit, there is no 2 ways about it, the midfield was poor and the forwards once bent got injured were almost invisible.

to be fair though, i blame the ginger gibbon for around 75% of all the shit from last season.

As we stand, is it beyond the realms of possibility that we will line up v west ham with the same back 4 ie.

Hutton Dunne Collins Warnock

Still could be quite solid under a proper manager ?

As we stand, is it beyond the realms of possibility that we will line up v west ham with the same back 4 ie.

Hutton Dunne Collins Warnock

Still could be quite solid under a proper manager ?

Don't think hutton will be here for the west ham game, and pretty sure he might get rid of collins/warnock.. Who knows. I would like to see lambert bring in a CB/LB though.

I get the feeling that Lowton may be given a fair amount of games.

I dont think Lambert would bring in a 'backup rightback' when we have Lichaj and Herd (who can play at RB) behind Hutton already, unless Lambert doesn't rate Lichaj or Herd at RB.

I get the feeling that Lowton may be given a fair amount of games.

I dont think Lambert would bring in a 'backup rightback' when we have Lichaj and Herd (who can play at RB) behind Hutton already, unless Lambert doesn't rate Lichaj or Herd at RB.

I'd say you're right. I also agree that having numbers at a position doesn't necessarily equate to being covered there. I'm happy with Lichaj as cover but if, for example, Hutton was the cover then we'd need more. It doesn't matter how much crap you've got for a position if it's all crap at the end of the day.

@VillaITK has spoken...

"So, being told that Lambert would ideally like to bring in 4-5 new players. A LB, CB, MF, LW, ST. #AVFC"

Isn't this pretty much what was discussed on here yesterday as to who we'd like us to sign. I wonder if @VillaITK is someone from VT?

I think Hutton and Collins will be out, IMO

Me too. If not out, then dumped in the reserves.

Collins is sellable. Hutton, I just can't see anyone taking him, especially on the wages he's probably on here.