General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Clark needs to be given a run of 10 games at CB before we judge him, i remember his debut against Fulham, he calm and cool head was a joy to watch at the back.

in fairness i could have played vs fulham that day

So why didn't you? The reason his performance was good that day was his awareness, i remember ball being pumped up the top, instead of doing what Collins and Dunne do, which is to head it straight back, he bought it down and started again, he did the same against WHU, but no doubt you'll say you could have played in that too!

Fulham didnt have an attack that game not a game to judge him

Clark, a product of the Villa academy, replaced injured centre-back Curtis Davies and put in a calm and steady performance.

He also proved a threat at the other end of the pitch when after 24 minutes he managed to get his 6ft 2in frame on the end of a Young corner but headed yards over - his reaction afterwards providing a picture of disgust.

Nevertheless, Clark ably carried out his primary duty of shutting the door on Fulham forwards Diomansy Kamara, Erik Nevland and Dempsey.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it any wonder Clark hasn't staked a claim for a starting centre back spot yet ?

He's probably played more games in midfield (aequately but not good enough) and left back (please, never again)

Give the lad 10 games to grow into it. It's sink or swim time for Clark this season and i'm all for him getting a proper run in his proper position

Every faith he'll make the shirt his own given time.

PL will know what he bought. And we'll have a better idea after a few pre-season games.

I can see CI's point about making the step up from League One to the Premier League, the gulf in class is immense and we've seen with Fabian Delph that the transition isn't always an easy or certain one.

However as you say BOF Lambert will know what he has bought and unlike O'Neill or most managers he has first hand recent experience of life and standards in that division.

I personally think that is a really important factor and should be considered if and when he picks up players from lower division. Lambert will know the quality of that league and should having moved up the levels himself as a manager be able to recognise the players with the potential to do the same.

Agreed on all points Ulver. And I think his time has come. The guys who have been ahead of him (RD, Carlos C, JC) have probably (almost) warranted it to date, but they are on the slide, one has left and at least one of two is going you'd assume. With Clark getting to the right age to slot in now and with Lambert allegedly being a fan, you'd think there's little to stand in the way of him at least getting the opportunity to sink or swim. I expect he will swim. I think he might be a little rocky at the start, but the wave of optimism amongst the fans over the whole PL project will mean that Clark will not get jumped on and will therefore not feel the pressure that he would definitely have felt last season. In a way, it's probably a godsend that he didn't break into the side last season, otherwise he might have fallen by the wayside as one of McLeish's failed players.

Clark needs to be given a run of 10 games at CB before we judge him, i remember his debut against Fulham, he calm and cool head was a joy to watch at the back.

in fairness i could have played vs fulham that day

So why didn't you? The reason his performance was good that day was his awareness, i remember ball being pumped up the top, instead of doing what Collins and Dunne do, which is to head it straight back, he bought it down and started again, he did the same against WHU, but no doubt you'll say you could have played in that too!

My main memory of Clark playing against Fulham was that he was good, but he did everything possible to keep his duties to a minimum.

I'm not criticising him for it, if I was a young centre back, I would have done the same.

But whenever he did get the ball, he simply played a short pass to someone else, who was then entrusted with getting the ball forward or wide to another player. I imagine MON had told him to play that way tbh.

That said, I'd like it if he was one of our two central defenders this season.

The back four, which not were the same back four all the time, Hutton, Collins, Dunne and Warnock, gets lot off critism for the result of last season. Villa conceded 53 goals an avarege of 1,39 goals per game. That makes us number 13 in the leauge. We just made 39 goals, 0,97 per game and number 19 in the leauge.

The most common results were 0-0 and 1-1. We hade a clean sheet in 24% of the games (Norwich 8%).

We conceded more then 2 goals in 4 games, Man city 1-4 (away Hutton, Dunne, Clarke Warnock)m Man united 0-4 (away Hutton, Collins, Baker, Lichaj), Arsenal 0-3 (away Hutton, Collins, Cuellar, Warnock) and Chelsea 2-4 (home Lichaj, Collins, Baker, Warnock).

So I think it is hash to blame the back four as much as many do. The big problem was that we scored to little goals.

Hutton, Collins, Dunne and Warnock are not worldbeaters, but I think they deserve more credit then they got

The back four, which not were the same back four all the time, Hutton, Collins, Dunne and Warnock, gets lot off critism for the result of last season. Villa conceded 53 goals an avarege of 1,39 goals per game. That makes us number 13 in the leauge. We just made 39 goals, 0,97 per game and number 19 in the leauge.

The most common results were 0-0 and 1-1. We hade a clean sheet in 24% of the games (Norwich 8%).

We conceded more then 2 goals in 4 games, Man city 1-4 (away Hutton, Dunne, Clarke Warnock)m Man united 0-4 (away Hutton, Collins, Baker, Lichaj), Arsenal 0-3 (away Hutton, Collins, Cuellar, Warnock) and Chelsea 2-4 (home Lichaj, Collins, Baker, Warnock).

So I think it is hash to blame the back four as much as many do. The big problem was that we scored to little goals.

Hutton, Collins, Dunne and Warnock are not worldbeaters, but I think they deserve more credit then they got

:shock:

Whats wrong with that? It actually makes a lot of sense.

Not that I like Dunne or Collins (Or Warnock).

But they are not the worst defenders you could find.

Dunne, Collins and possibly at a massive push Warnock (For his enthusiasm) do deserve a tiny little more credit but not Hutton.

Hutton is not Premiership quality. He has no positional sense or any technique. He is rubbish, worse than Djemba-Djemba but similar to him in the way he was sold knowingly by a canny manager to be a duffer to be offloaded.

Whats wrong with that? It actually makes a lot of sense.

Not that I like Dunne or Collins (Or Warnock).

But they are not the worst defenders you could find.

I think the shock face was for the fact it sounds like Borat has written it.

What was the stat? Aston Villa most goals conceded from set pieces in the league? The amount of times I saw Hutton/Collins/Dunne (not so much Warnock , but i'll come to that later) lose their man they were marking and we conceded from it was ridiculous!

Warnock on the other head used to get caught out of position on a regular basis (Hutton as well) If you remember that horrendous game he had against QPR at VP? He was hopeless.

I don't rate any of them and would be overjoyed if we hauled them all out and brought in different people.