General Chat (mobiles, tablets, etc.)

leviramsey

7" tablet or 10" tablet?

Will be used solely for internet browsing and watching tv shows/movies on long haul flights or when having some down time in a hotel somewhere.

I like the price point and easier portability of the smaller tablets but can't help thinking I would appreciate the greater size of the screen of the bigger ones more...

I know they are very popular but I personally don't see the attraction of a 7" tablet. I have had a 10" (HP Touchpad flashed with ICS) and a 7" (Chinese Android) tablet. I found the 10" quite useful and a viable alternative to the laptop but sold it for a tidy profit. The 7" had pretty much the same experience as surfing on my mobile. Yes the screen is a bit bigger but not sufficiently that it is really any different to my mobile. I still ended up constantly zooming in and out to read web pages and panning around. If you've got a decent mobile I'd say get a 10" (or don't bother with a tablet).

The ubuntu for phones includes the ability that you when you dock, it launches an ubuntu desktop. No carrying work laptops around.

Here's the presentation for businesses. The mobile bit starts at just over 6m.

I know they are very popular but I personally don't see the attraction of a 7" tablet. I have had a 10" (HP Touchpad flashed with ICS) and a 7" (Chinese Android) tablet. I found the 10" quite useful and a viable alternative to the laptop but sold it for a tidy profit. The 7" had pretty much the same experience as surfing on my mobile. Yes the screen is a bit bigger but not sufficiently that it is really any different to my mobile. I still ended up constantly zooming in and out to read web pages and panning around. If you've got a decent mobile I'd say get a 10" (or don't bother with a tablet).

I've had a 10" and 7" tablet and found the 10" to be the worst compromise as it wasn't portable but it wasn't a particularly good replacement for a laptop. The 7 is still not a good replacement for a laptop bit is still portable.

I find the 7" to be a much different experience to my 4.65" phone so it's certainly worth it.

So pretty much the opposite of your experience :-)

I've had a 10" and 7" tablet and found the 10" to be the worst compromise as it wasn't portable but it wasn't a particularly good replacement for a laptop. The 7 is still not a good replacement for a laptop bit is still portable.

I find the 7" to be a much different experience to my 4.65" phone so it's certainly worth it.

So pretty much the opposite of your experience :-)

I never really tended to take my tablet away with me (apart from once to Germany) just used it sat on the sofa watching TV.

We're all different :D

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

Spoke to HTC this morning and I've just come back from sending my One X off. Also just realised there's no spare unlocked phone lying about so I'm **** - well for today anyway. They do a pick up service which is good but I won't be in for tomorrow and I just want to get it sorted ASAP.

Bit disappointed I must admit. Only had the thing a few months.

Looking to get the Nokia Lumia 620. Hasn't been released yet. Looks very good for $249-£155. Want to try something different without spending £400-£500.

Edited by Daniel

You have a regular phone, but with a flexible display. No difference in daily use until you drop it and it doesn't shatter. Also from a manufacturing pov, it's less likely to break between the beginning of the production line and your pocket.

Â