General Chat (mobiles, tablets, etc.)

leviramsey

Well it would appear as though I have a clean windows 7 and a fully backed up XP :) Left it to download the 130+ W7 upgrades that have come out since the release and I will hopefully have an up to date windows at COB today.

One question. Is Avast still the best free virus checker out there? It was a few years ago ever since AVG became heavy and clunky.

Also, firewalls.  I don't want to stick with the Microsoft Firewall*.  I know Comodo is the best in terms of security but it was quite resource-hungry on my previous install and I don't want to grind my PC to a halt so soon after a fresh install. Any recommendations?

* unless some expert can tell me that the Win 7 version is greatly improved.

I do have a router. I thought you needed a decent firewall on your windows OS. I'm useless with networks so I'm probably wrong :/ (oh and this is being posted from my W7 desktop :D)

What do you think the firewall is going to protect you from? You'll just end up making lots of holes in it for all your software and getting annoyed at it.

If your IP address on the windows machine is 192.168.x.x then a firewall is probably redundant.

It's amazing how much the price of flash memory has came down, but  having seen adverts for hard drives from the 80s these prices don't really shock me. 

I've decided to embrace chrome (properly) and see how good it is.  Once I get used to its (imo inferior) way of presenting your bookmarks (sans lefthand column) I'm sure I'll be fine.

One thing from the off.  Does chrome have an inherent 'NoScript' equivalent?  There doesn't appear to be an exact replica of the firefox version in the extensions list.

I've decided to embrace chrome (properly) and see how good it is.  Once I get used to its (imo inferior) way of presenting your bookmarks (sans lefthand column) I'm sure I'll be fine.

One thing from the off.  Does chrome have an inherent 'NoScript' equivalent?  There doesn't appear to be an exact replica of the firefox version in the extensions list.

NoScript? As in no Javascript? How can you use almost anything on the Internet without Javascript?

Coincidentally, I've just bought a Samsung ChromeBook. It is really lovely.

I saw your chromebook post on facebook :)  Noice.  NoScript stops every script and you can allow them permission to run one by one.  You'd be surprised (or perhaps not) about the amount of scripts that run on sites like ones that stream the fussball.  Not all above board scripts.

There isn't a proper version of NoScript for Chrome, it's just not possible using Google's API. There's a few (such as ScriptNo) that claim to offer the same sort of functions but they've been demonstrated again and again to have massive gaping holes, they offer nothing but a false sense of security. The guy who writes NoScript was in contact with Google a couple of years ago to discuss making it possible to offer the framework to develop NoScript for chrome, but nothing seems to have come of it.

It's a shame, I'd quite like to use Chrome for some things, the sync seemed to work better than Firefox's, for example, but I'm not using a browser without NoScript on my Windows machines (and anyone suggesting a Linux live CD for my web browsing can get to **** ;))

Edited by Davkaus

Â