General Chat (mobiles, tablets, etc.)

leviramsey

Hummmn a rep selling his product....you just got suckered in to buying a relic

Hehe. Possibly. I did a fair emount of research though it from the reviews I've seen, the pretty much conclude there isn't much to choose between a galaxy 3 and the z10. I'd expect the galaxy 4 to win hands down but I've never really liked their version of touchwizz (or whatever it's called).

There's plenty you could knock RIM for but I think they've come up with a really decent phone. First one for a long time.

Just bought something in amazon and noticed I'd bought two things. Turns out my basket still contained something that had been sitting there for probably close to a year.

Moral of the story. Check your basket before paying. Or you could get a nasty surprise. Thankfully my 'bonus buy' was only a €4 DVD.

Seeing as there is no windows 7 or generic windows thread (and I don't want to go fully off topic in the windows 8 thread) I may aswell ask here. Does anyone have anywhere they could recommend where I could buy windows 7 for a good price? I've searched online and this seems to be the best price. Also, w.r.t. versions. I assume I want the 64 bit version of Home Premium.

I can't imagine anyone paying for an OS. Mind boggling.

Why?

Software takes time to develop. Why would you not pay for that?

Why would you pay for something when you can something at least as good for free?

The time spent on something is absolutely irrelevant to its value.

Edited by leviramsey

Why?

Why would you pay for something when you can something at least as good for free?

Because running Windows-only applications in WINE is a pain in the arse.

Why?

Simply because the thing that's free isn't "at least as good" for most users.

I don't see how it's "mind boggling" that someone would pay for something that has very real costs associated with it.

Ubuntu after all might be "free", but development on it is certainly paid for by someone (Canonical, who are chasing the Red Hat model of support based income).

I work as a software developer, and I also contribute to a couple of open source products. But the only reason I can do that is because someone is paying me to develop software that people pay for.

FOSS is a nice idea, but it's also an unsustainable one if no one is paying for any software. Someone has to be paying for the skills needed to write software somewhere down the line, else no one with those skills is going to exist. Most open source developers are in the same boat as me, their well paying day jobs let them pursue their hobbies in their free time.

I think most open source software is written by people as their jobs. There are obviously many who do it in their spare time, but a lot of it is done as a workplace activity. These companies make their money from support contracts (Oracle, IBM, red hat) or from an unrelated business activity (Google, facebook, twitter) or even just from ensuring their products get better placements (Google, Intel, AMD) or even for interoperability (Microsoft, Oracle).

I don't understand your point though. Most Linux is free at point of delivery, so why would you choose to pay for something with at best equal function when you can have the alternative for free?

If they ever figure out how to get games running on Linux (and when somebody with as much money and intellect as Gabe Newell is having a serious go at making it happen it's a distinct possibility) then I might be inclined to agree with the Linux crowd.  Until then I'll stick with a computer that can run a non gimped version of Steam.  Windows ftw. :D

Popped into the local PC World on saturday as my son needs a new laptop, and I thought I would checkout the new Microsoft Tablets at the same time.........not one on display, nor over at one of the biggest Currys in the UK.

So Microsoft what is the point of spending millions on advertising if you cannot go into the biggest PC retailer in the UK and try one?

Question. Is it possible to make a .iso image of my current (XP) desktop hard-drive contents, so that it can be booted from. I will shortly be upgrading to Win7 but it might be handy to have a bootable version of my current install stored on a detachable drive should the need arise.

Easiest way I think would be to virtualize the install. It's easy in "VMware workstation" but that costs money if you can't "borrow" a copy of it. I know Virtualbox can do it but I haven't tried it so cant comment. That is free though.

You might be able to clone it to a USB-drive with "ghost" or similar and boot it from there, but XP is pretty pesky when you change the controller you are booting from and can deliver a solid bluescreen.

Making a backup is easier but you obviously cant boot from it.

Edited by Tegis

On the purchase of W7 thing, it might be cheaper to pick a up busted old laptop off ebay that had the W7 serial on the base. You could then download the program from MS and install using the newly purchased license/laptop. Apologies if that is not 100% legal but I'd have thought as it was no longer being used on the damaged laptop it would be ok.

Â