General Chat (mobiles, tablets, etc.)

leviramsey

I love the Nexus 7, yeah somewhere between 7 and 10 inch would be best. Apple's iPad mini at 7.85inch might be a perfect size. But maybe slightly bigger? Problem is you can just make loads of sizes to suit each person otherwise prices would soar.

But I'd like an 8 inch Nexus really. That'd be my perfect size for mix of portability

Cheers for the info and advice guys.

I am really really close to ordering a nexus 7 but I dont know, something is stopping me pressing 'buy', not sure what it is.

One thing that is in the back of my mind is that google play was not in the best of shapes when I last used it before switching to the iphone from using the htc desire in march. Is it a lot better now? I also remember the prices being quite high and its something others have noted in comparison to the kindle store as well as the amount of content.

The only other thing I have been reading about is while the screen/display is impressive the colours are muted and washed out ever so slightly compared to the kindle fire hd. Can you change the brightness/gamma etc...?

I really like the look of the kindle, the whole closed system aspect is not really a massive factor for me plus with reportedly cheaper prices on the store and the fact that the 16gb version is £40 cheaper than the nexus 7 16gb.

Or do I wait until apple reveal the ipad mini and hope its comparable in specs/prices?

The help is really appreciated guys :thumb:

Nexus is quad core running jellybean while the kindle is dual core running a heavily skinned version of ICS.

It won't have the play store so you will be limited to what Amazon want to sanction to their appstore. It won't have Google search but will use Bing and I am sure I read that it will be using Nokia mapping software rather than Google maps. It won't have NFC or GPS.

I am struggling to see any benefit to buying a Kindle over the Nexus an installing the Amazon stuff you want.

Plenty of online reviews pointing out the benefits an pitfalls of both tablets.

I am really really close to ordering a nexus 7 but I dont know, something is stopping me pressing 'buy', not sure what it is.

One thing that is in the back of my mind is that google play was not in the best of shapes when I last used it before switching to the iphone from using the htc desire in march. Is it a lot better now? I also remember the prices being quite high and its something others have noted in comparison to the kindle store as well as the amount of content.

The only other thing I have been reading about is while the screen/display is impressive the colours are muted and washed out ever so slightly compared to the kindle fire hd. Can you change the brightness/gamma etc...?

I really like the look of the kindle, the whole closed system aspect is not really a massive factor for me plus with reportedly cheaper prices on the store and the fact that the 16gb version is £40 cheaper than the nexus 7 16gb.

Or do I wait until apple reveal the ipad mini and hope its comparable in specs/prices?

The Play store doesn't seem a lot different to me from March to now. What do you mean not in the best of shapes? I always find it fine, admittedly I've never used the App Store though. Also not noticed the prices being high in isolation. Are you comparing app prices for the same apps in each store? I always thought they were pretty comparable.

Unless Amazon make a big change to their developer policies they won't ever have anywhere near the amount of apps that the Play store has. Developers don't want to go anywhere near Amazon unless they really have to.

If you've used SAMOLED phones for years like me, the screen does seem to lack a bit of colour, if you're used to an iPhone it will look just the same. Even though I don't rate LCD compared to SAMOLED I'm perfectly happy with mine. I'm sure that if there isn't a screen tuner already, there will be one at some stage, but I'd say it's not worth the bother to change anything.

I couldn't buy a Kindle. It's an Amazon content device. I use a lot more than just Amazon.

If the iPad mini has the same size bezel but with a slightly larger screen then it will be fine. But if the case is any bigger in any aspect it will miss the whole point in my opinion. To me, and this is from my time using the Nexus 7 a _lot_ since having it on the release day, the size is absolutely perfect to make it portable. It fits into almost any pocket. It's small enough, light enough and rugged enough to take it around anywhere with you, without a case (Gorilla Glass 2 :) ). You can pick it up, sling it around, take it to the pub, do anything with it in the same way you would with a phone, or a non-Android kindle. No other tablet has this feel. You make the iPad 8mm wider and that whole use case is ruined, and it's back to being a laptop replacement, which tablets definitely aren't. One thing's for sure though, the iPad mini won't be anywhere near the prices of the Fire / N7.

The Play store doesn't seem a lot different to me from March to now. What do you mean not in the best of shapes? I always find it fine, admittedly I've never used the App Store though. Also not noticed the prices being high in isolation. Are you comparing app prices for the same apps in each store? I always thought they were pretty comparable.

Unless Amazon make a big change to their developer policies they won't ever have anywhere near the amount of apps that the Play store has. Developers don't want to go anywhere near Amazon unless they really have to.

If you've used SAMOLED phones for years like me, the screen does seem to lack a bit of colour, if you're used to an iPhone it will look just the same. Even though I don't rate LCD compared to SAMOLED I'm perfectly happy with mine. I'm sure that if there isn't a screen tuner already, there will be one at some stage, but I'd say it's not worth the bother to change anything.

I couldn't buy a Kindle. It's an Amazon content device. I use a lot more than just Amazon.

If the iPad mini has the same size bezel but with a slightly larger screen then it will be fine. But if the case is any bigger in any aspect it will miss the whole point in my opinion. To me, and this is from my time using the Nexus 7 a _lot_ since having it on the release day, the size is absolutely perfect to make it portable. It fits into almost any pocket. It's small enough, light enough and rugged enough to take it around anywhere with you, without a case (Gorilla Glass 2 :) ). You can pick it up, sling it around, take it to the pub, do anything with it in the same way you would with a phone, or a non-Android kindle. No other tablet has this feel. You make the iPad 8mm wider and that whole use case is ruined, and it's back to being a laptop replacement, which tablets definitely aren't. One thing's for sure though, the iPad mini won't be anywhere near the prices of the Fire / N7.

Cheers for that, twisted my arm and I have just ordered a nexus 7, quite excited about getting it now!

Just need to find a good case/cover.

If you live in the US then there are decisions to be made. But in the UK most of Amazon benefits are not there. The Nexus would be the strong choice in that case. Though most of us own the Nexus 7 and not the Fire, so our opinions are based on why we like it.

I like it because it's full Android untouched and I can use it how I see fit. Kindle is just a portal to the Amazon Store. I prefer the freedom to the locked in system.

It will be very interesting to see how the new iphone is received tomorrow as from whats been leaked its still a long long way behind top end Android handsets.

Tech magazines and websites will have to at some point bite the bullet and start to be a little brutal when it comes to reviewing apple devices or they risk losing their credibility.

I was just saying the same thing in the iphone thread. Sum grumblings from tech sites already in relation to the leaks. Even US ones, who are always pro apple. Very interesting to see if someone dares write a negative piece about the iphone tomorrow.

First post from my new Nexus 7!!!!!

Cheers for the advice guys, its a fabulous piece of kit. Any recommendations on apps, games, tips and tricks etc....

How do you switch to landscape when in chrome?

I'm on a 24month contract with orange and have got a 4s

Bored of the 4s now and really want an s3, is there anyway orange would let me swap less than 6 months into the contract? Or would I have to sell the 4s to buy out the contract/fund the rest of it and then set up a new contract for the s3?

Or am I being stupid in thinking its possible?

Bored of the 4s now and really want an s3, is there anyway orange would let me swap less than 6 months into the contract? Or would I have to sell the 4s to buy out the contract/fund the rest of it and then set up a new contract for the s3?

Sell the 4s and buy an S3 or as you say pay off your contract.

Sell the 4s and buy an S3 or as you say pay off your contract.

Okie doke, I've not done his before so have no clue how o go about it so not sure where is best to sell it. I don't really use eBay so an alternative would be gratefully appreciated. Any idea what price I should aim for? Its a white 16gb 4s in mint condition.

Sell the 4s for c. £350, buy a Galaxy Nexus brand new for £250, use the £100 to pay off your contract and get a GiffGaff SIM.

Â