General Chat (mobiles, tablets, etc.)

leviramsey

• 2 weeks later...

Do laptops fall under "etc" in the thread title?

If so, what's the deal with Chromebooks?

Are they any good?

My laptop is nearly dead so I might be looking for a replacement soon. I really only use it for internet browsing, occasional work on word processing and excel, playing music and storign pictures.

i.e. I hardly use it for gaming at all. I play FM on it but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I couldn't.

Would a chromebook be a good option?

A chromebook is an internet appliance.

If you can do everything you want to do in Chrome, it'll be a good solution for you. It auto-updates and doesn't need av or anti-malware. It'll stream music, but not store it.

Thanks limpid.

I've had a quick look into it and the purely (more or less) cloud storage that it has put me off a bit (even though I realise that's the future).

The whole web app thing is kind of appealing but I'd have to look into if everything I want it to do would be supported.

One thing I noticed on a couple of reviews is they apparently struggle on streaming HD video, which is something that I'd definitely want.

It basically strikes me as sort of a tablet, in laptop form... if that makes sense! :D

Thanks limpid.

I've had a quick look into it and the purely (more or less) cloud storage that it has put me off a bit (even though I realise that's the future).

The whole web app thing is kind of appealing but I'd have to look into if everything I want it to do would be supported.

One thing I noticed on a couple of reviews is they apparently struggle on streaming HD video, which is something that I'd definitely want.

It basically strikes me as sort of a tablet, in laptop form... if that makes sense! :D

Buy it online and try it for a few days. Send it back if it doesn't do what you want. Make sure the review was for a current model.

I've got a Samsung Ultrabook. It uses a 24gb SSD drive for "express cache". 

Forgive me for being a little out of touch, but what exactly does this mean? I assume I cannot actually use this drive to store physical data. 

It's fast as **** and I've never heard a peep from the fan. Genuinely lovely bit of kit and I'd highly recommend it to anyone with £600 to burn.

I've got a Samsung Ultrabook. It uses a 24gb SSD drive for "express cache". 

Forgive me for being a little out of touch, but what exactly does this mean? I assume I cannot actually use this drive to store physical data. 

It's fast as **** and I've never heard a peep from the fan. Genuinely lovely bit of kit and I'd highly recommend it to anyone with £600 to burn.

The disk/driver uses the 24 gigs to offload the data onto the SSD that you use the most. All happens under the hood. So no, you cant use that storage as it is set up now.

Depending on how samsung has done this you can get to it if you reinstall it yourself. My Asus had the same setup but it had ths SSD space on the motherboard and a bog standard disk on the side. So I could use them separately when I did a custom own install. I now use one for Linux and one for Windows and let the Bios be the boot-menu.

I know there are drives that has the SSD space inbuilt and I can't see a way to separate them if thats the case (seagate Momentus XT)

Edited by Tegis

So who is good and who is bad for laptops? I am ignorant in these things. I am not a gamer although i do fancy reliving some older stuff like age of empires once in a while, but mostly it would be office / enteryainment. I do not have the budget for Apple but prepared to invest in something that will last a good while!

BB10 out today apparently. Had convinced myself I was finally going to ditch Blackberry in favour of something a bit more useful but I fear I'm in danger of being seduced. On he face of it, it does look like a tidy bit of kit.

So, after a weekend with the new blackberry, I have to say it is fantastic. Probably too late to save RIM's fortunes and I'm sure app availability will be its downfall but its the best phone I've ever had.

So who is good and who is bad for laptops? I am ignorant in these things. I am not a gamer although i do fancy reliving some older stuff like age of empires once in a while, but mostly it would be office / enteryainment. I do not have the budget for Apple but prepared to invest in something that will last a good while!

Dell and Lenovo.

Anything Core i3 and above should do you OK for slightly older games.

Recently iphone4s, Samsung galaxyII, blackberry torch, Nokia 7110. ;)

You should probably try comparing it to another current handsets. All the OSes are improved since you last tried them.

Im fairly sure my s3 takes a dump on anything crapberry are producing

I'd have thought so too until last week. Was all set for an S3 until I happened into a Vodafone shop where a blackberry rep was giving the staff a show'n'tell with the z10. They pretty much all agreed that they'd be getting a z10 and by the time the blackberry rep had spent 25 mins showing me its features, I was sold too. As I say, I still think the lack of apps will ultimately do for blackberry but functionally, when I stand it next to my gf's S3, aside from app availability, I'm happy I made the right decision and ultimately, how many apps does one need anyway? ;)

Â