Speculation: Given to QPR!

VillaGoMarching

Paul Robinson is still a cracking keeper, on a par with Given at least. Foster & Butland are very good long term options.

Rob Green is not that bad...but he's also not that good.

If Given goes, i fully expect Lambert to go for Ruddy as his replacement. Going to be a top keeper for years to come.

Trying to look at this logically.

So, we sell Given (who IMHO has been excellent all season) for 3-4m 'to save some wages' and then have to find TWO new keepers, one of whom needs to be a top drawer first choice (at least on par with Given) and a more than able deputy happy to sit on the bench for the same price

Genius idea!

Almost up there with the 'sell Bent for 20m' and buy 2 players to replace him one :lol:

A radical idea to me would be, why not try and shift the actual players that DO need shifting and keep the ones that don't ?

Just a thought from leftfield like

Wow, Macandally keeper shocker!!

Rob Green is not that bad. CI did you read the posts previously, or just knee jerk off the one above?

Robinson definitely as good as Given, same attributes, both primarily shot stoppers. IF anything, Robinson more commanding and younger.

Butland, I posted about earlier.

Rob Green is sh1te as is that lump Robinson.

I cannot comment on Butland. Don't know anything about him.

Thanks for shaping such a reasoned argument. I believe Villa are looking for a chief scout, pull your CV together! :lol:

Ha! :D I suppose it wasn't exactly a scout report.

But seriously I really don’t think either Green or Robinson are on a par with Given.

I do think a lot of fans views on here are being shaped by speculating about Givens wages and our financial restrictions. My advice is let PL worry about that. If QPR offer us £5 million then I'm sure he have somethink to think about.

Also if we were on the look out for a new keeper I would be looking at Esteban from AZ.

Prob only cost around £2million. Has been very good this year.

Trying to look at this logically.

So, we sell Given (who IMHO has been excellent all season) for 3-4m 'to save some wages' and then have to find TWO new keepers, one of whom needs to be a top drawer first choice (at least on par with Given) and a more than able deputy happy to sit on the bench for the same price

Genius idea!

Almost up there with the 'sell Bent for 20m' and buy 2 players to replace him one :lol:

A radical idea to me would be, why not try and shift the actual players that DO need shifting and keep the ones that don't ?

Just a thought from leftfield like

I don't think its that bad an idea to sell a 37 year old who has started to show some propensity to get injured and is on big wages and bring in one of Robinson, Foster, Ruddy or, say, Butland (although I haven't seen much of the latter) who are just as good, younger and cheaper? As long as they are not costing a lot more than we are raising by selling of course.

I don't think Green or Robinson would be an improvement so don't see the point. We need some sort of continuity amongst all the upheavel. Butland looks great mind. Perhaps signing him and McGregor from Rangers, assuming that they have to get rid of everyone for free, would be the best way of doing things should Given want to go. I'm pretty sure Lambert will want to keep him though.

Craig Gordon is available on a free, would be a very good 2nd choice keeper imo.

Has it ever been established whether Gordon is any good, or was Roy Keane a total muppet for spending £9m on him? He was injured a fair bit I think?

It's incredible for a player to be so talked so much up to be released on a free like that.

Craig Gordon is available on a free, would be a very good 2nd choice keeper imo.

Has it ever been established whether Gordon is any good, or was Roy Keane a total muppet for spending £9m on him? He was injured a fair bit I think?

It's incredible for a player to be so talked so much up to be released on a free like that.

Ive personally always rated him, thought he was a cracking shot stopper.

Could be another Kirkland, all the potential in the world, but plagued by injury.

Always thought Kirkland was going to be a top keeper if he could stay fit.

Still, i think Gordon would be a very good back-up keeper for us. Wages couldnt be too much.

We need to be going for that Birmingham Keeper, is it Butland?

Heard from a number of people that he is regarded by the birmingham GK coaches as better than Hart was at the same age. if that's the case then he would be ideal as a short term no.2 to Gvien with a view to him taking over the No.1 role in a couple of years.

Still, i think Gordon would be a very good back-up keeper for us. Wages couldnt be too much.

What's the point of having a back-up keeper who will never be able to deputise as he's always injured?

Given is absolutely fine at the moment. Change the defence first and foremost. Given will need replacing but he DID save us at west brom, and has been good throughout the year. Issues of corners may be something means he needs to be changed eventually but, it is certainly the least of our worries, certainly this year. Maybe in 2 years time, but for now, perfectly happy with him.

What we need is given to have 2 screamers for Eire now getting his fee up to about £4m

I'd say he wiped £1m off his sale price the other night

That first goal was very shaky