Speculation: Given to QPR!

VillaGoMarching

the fact of the matter is that we have a lot of work to do on the squad from a talent level, playing style, and wage/revenue ratio perspective.

that does not mean that we shouldn't or wouldn't have certain players or positions on higher wages than others, relative to the value provided to the team. In that case, players like Given, Ireland, and Bent, who have performed and earned their wages so to speak (IMO) should be retained pretty much at all costs. Efforts should be made to rebuild and reinforce the rest of the squad, depending on the managers preferences.

Any distraction from that task just gets in the way, may use funds in a way that is counterproductive, and just be trying to fix one of the few things we have that isn't catastrophically broken.

Could we do better / cheaper than Given? Maybe, but we don't have to do it now. If we did the money would have to be truly, truly absurd.

people are actually advocating we sell given, and give guzan a contract and make him our number one keeper?

seriously?

Why not? did great when given was out..

and If QPR offer silly money for a 35 year old, your gonna think about it.

:bang:

OMG. You're serious. Really people would be happy with Guzan as our keeper. A 35 yr old keeper has probably 3 or 4 years left at the top. In fact I'd go so far as to say Keepers don't come into their prime until they hit 30. How low have we sunk that some of our fans will accept Guzan as our no.1 keeper.

Guess it boils down to if the new gaffer thinks the fee - lets say £8m + wages - lets say £10m could be put to better use

There may be other priorities for that money particularly if funds are tight

While I think Richard's post is slightly tongue in cheek (I think he might naughtily be referring to Stephen Ireland for example), I don't actually think they will be selling anyone while managerless. The problem is, other clubs have managers and we can't stop them from looking. So the speculation might very well continue. I'd say the squad will be the same by the time a manager is hired. I wouldn't be hugely gutted if we lost Given. His age, his contract and his ability on corners are things we could do without as a club going forward. Yes he's good, but he's far from irreplaceable.
Partly tongue in cheek and partly he purchase of Ireland, but the purchase of Ireland also came about during the sale of Milner.

But mostly my post was along the lines of given the negative discussions that took place among an element of the fan base over the board taking those decisions with no manager in place, you wouldn't think they would make the same mistake would you? You would think they would listen to the fanbase and learn, afterall that is what the PR and spin has been about recently, that they have listened and learned

I agree Richard. I think there are a few reasons to be confident that they have learned something. The speed at which they dumped Eck and the speed they seem to be hiring his replacement (we'll know how fast soon enough). I think they are learning and it's why I'm more positive about our immediate future than I have been in a while.

• 3 weeks later...

I do rate Given as a great shot stopper but he's a high earner and just doesn't seem to command the box from set pieces like a 'top' keeper should. Having said that how could we replace him with a GK of a similar calibre without cutting into the transfer kitty the squad so dearly needs in other areas?