Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I dunno. Have you seen it again?

Like I said in the match thread, Adomah has David Nugent'd that. 

It's basically already in.

In fairness I haven't. Was behind the goal so had a clear view of it but it all happen so fast. I don't think Adomah meant anything nasty with it.

EDIT: Just seen it - definitely going in but Adomah may not have known how far away the defender was behind him.

Edited by Mantis

Didn't see the match, but I heard the radio commentary. Tony Morley started off by ripping into Gabby for his past behavior and ended the match singing his praises. I've been unhappy with him, but if he's prepared to work hard like he did today then I can't ask much more of him.

45 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He'd have looked a bit of a plonker if he'd got to the ball, let it dribble slowly towards the goal, and a defenders leg had appeared behind him hooking the ball to safety. 

Adomah did the professional thing. 

Poppycock. Another half second and it was over the line, with nobody around to do as you suggested. All he had to do was follow it in.

Edited by jim
  • Like 1

On 20/01/2017 at 17:46, LakotaDakota said:

Even seeing his name towards the top of a list on a message board has become a source of massive disappointment now :(

Not as much as seeing it on a team sheet. ..

I get that people are praising him for having a decent game yesterday, but that is 1 in about 30..... he cannot do it on a regular basis, if he does then I might start grudgingly accepting his inclusion. 

Edited by TheStagMan

2 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Not as much as seeing it on a team sheet. ..

I get that people are praising him for having a decent game yesterday, but that is 1 in about 30..... he cannot do it on a regular basis, if he does then I might start grudgingly accepting his inclusion. 

Bang on the money 

please may I ask a question - how many of you would be happy if Gabby played for a different club and we put in an offer for him?

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

Bang on the money 

please may I ask a question - how many of you would be happy if Gabby played for a different club and we put in an offer for him?

Exactly, it is all about the past glories and him being a Villa "fan". If Bruce put in an offer for a striker from another club and he had Gabby stats and disciplinary problems, everyone on here would go mental! 

• Like 1

for me the major plus agbonlahor brings is that he keeps defences fully occupied .

that relieves pressure on our defense and  can create chances .

i think he has been giving everything since bruce brought him back in , i dont think his fitness is in question now , just look at his sustained running .

by contrast i see nothing from mccormack at all.

i would persist with him when kodjia returns .

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

yeah I didnt see it but I prefer if Adomah puts it in instead of risking any chance its cleared. Adomah doesnt seem a selfish player so I dont think he did it with malice

neither is adomah stupid , letting the ball run on is inviting a defender to nick it , and then what be said?

From what I can see people are harbouring a grudge, which is fair enough. Anger is a reasonable, acceptable response to being wronged.

I wasn't there yesterday, but I did listen to the commentary and the majority of people who were there seem to back up what I heard on the radio which was Gabby's best game in ages.

I don't want him here. But unless clubs want to purchase his contract or the one he has with us runs out, unfortunately for me, what I want doesn't matter for toffee.

We've lived through the whole saga with him. Bruce has just inherited a squad of players he needs to mould into a football team. Nothing more, nothing less. If Bruce can motivate him again (and yesterday at least sounded positive on this front) the only thing that will hinder Gabby is the fact that he has let himself slip physically. It's ridiculous that in January he is playing himself back into some sort of shape but he's flagging around half time every time I've seen him this season when he has started. We know he's been like this for years and so does Bruce, It's just it's only become Bruce's problem a few weeks ago and he'd be foolish to freeze him out - not least as I've said before that he'd be encouraging complaints about his management from Gabby's supporters. So stick him out there and let him sink or swim.

It's a bit easier to understand Bruce's reasons for starting him with the gategate scandal coming to light, but Bruce can't just drop one of our highest paid players without giving him a chance to prove any worth or otherwise to him, as he sees it, right now.

At the very least get behind him when he is on the pitch. Sun shines on a dogs arse some days....

35 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

From what I can see people are harbouring a grudge, which is fair enough. Anger is a reasonable, acceptable response to being wronged.

I wasn't there yesterday, but I did listen to the commentary and the majority of people who were there seem to back up what I heard on the radio which was Gabby's best game in ages.

I don't want him here. But unless clubs want to purchase his contract or the one he has with us runs out, unfortunately for me, what I want doesn't matter for toffee.

We've lived through the whole saga with him. Bruce has just inherited a squad of players he needs to mould into a football team. Nothing more, nothing less. If Bruce can motivate him again (and yesterday at least sounded positive on this front) the only thing that will hinder Gabby is the fact that he has let himself slip physically. It's ridiculous that in January he is playing himself back into some sort of shape but he's flagging around half time every time I've seen him this season when he has started. We know he's been like this for years and so does Bruce, It's just it's only become Bruce's problem a few weeks ago and he'd be foolish to freeze him out - not least as I've said before that he'd be encouraging complaints about his management from Gabby's supporters. So stick him out there and let him sink or swim.

It's a bit easier to understand Bruce's reasons for starting him with the gategate scandal coming to light, but Bruce can't just drop one of our highest paid players without giving him a chance to prove any worth or otherwise to him, as he sees it, right now.

At the very least get behind him when he is on the pitch. Sun shines on a dogs arse some days....

For the record - I honestly have no grudge against him - in all fairness I have zero feeling for him- I genuinely only post what I think of him as a footballer and in my humble opinion he is not a very good one.

but certainly no grudges- it's football for goodness sake- not war :-)

22 hours ago, jim said:

Poppycock. Another half second and it was over the line, with nobody around to do as you suggested. All he had to do was follow it in.

Adomah may not have been aware that there was nobody around at the time. He was there though and he had to do his job as a professional. I'm certain there's no hard feelings.

Doesn't take it away from Gabby in my mind regardless, he earned that goal no matter what the record states.

I mean look, people can continue to put him on blast if they like. It doesn't matter, all that matters is the team and he was integral to an excellent first half performance and he did his job. It was the best I've seen him play in almost 2 years, which is good for us because it shows that maybe the ability is still there. Maybe Steve Bruce was right. Maybe.

Kodjia will of course come straight back in. But will it be for Gabby? 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Dave J said:

Bang on the money 

I wouldn't, no. I'd be happy if he were replaced with somebody objectively 'better'. That goes for all players. 

If only it were that simple (see Ross McCormack). Hopefully in summer it will happen, until then I want all of our players to perform to their absolute best. 

I'd rather not have him around anymore but, if nobody else will take him and we're paying him big wages, I'd rather he get fit and earned them rather than training with the kids and getting paid a lot of money for doing nothing. 

I'll give him that goal, that still has him on 2 in 40.

Goalscorers this season:

Kodjia - 9

Gestede - 4

Grealish - 3

Adomah - 2 (I've given one of his to Gabby)

Ayew - 2

McCormack - 2

Tshibola - 1

Baker - 1

Bacuna - 1

Agbonlahor - 1

Assists:

Adomah - 5

Ayew - 4

Jedinak - 2

Grealish - 1

Hutton - 1

Gestede - 1

Bacuna - 1

Cissokho - 1

Amavi - 1

Agbonlahor - 1 (although this might be the Adomah assist)

Â