Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Reading this thread I'm always surprised to rediscover that he's our third highest goalscorer in the last thirty years - he's done well for himself considering.

In fairness, that last bit is the strangest thing about Gabby - he's got limitations and lots of them, but a lot of people talk about him like he's never done anything for the club when he's actually achieved a huge amount on a personal level, he's been our top scorer in two seasons, he's scored 81 goals, he's made 340 appearances - he's the biggest mystery in Villa history, because apparently he's cack - but he's likely finish amongst the top 15 goal scorers and in the top 15 for appearances made in 140 odd years.

Waster.

06-10 despite his dips in form I really couldn't fault him. He should've been rested a lot more than he was back then but we lacked a decent third striking option at that time.

Since 2010 he hasn't been great.

I do agree his goalscoring is underrated...bare with me...considering he's never a) taken a penalty for us which is a nice and quick way to boost your goalscoring tally and B) he's played out wide mostly since 2010 and you can't expect any average footballer to keep up the scoring before if they're not through the middle. Likes of Bale and Ronaldo can manage it but then you're talking about the elite.

Reading this thread I'm always surprised to rediscover that he's our third highest goalscorer in the last thirty years - he's done well for himself considering.

In fairness, that last bit is the strangest thing about Gabby - he's got limitations and lots of them, but a lot of people talk about him like he's never done anything for the club when he's actually achieved a huge amount on a personal level, he's been our top scorer in two seasons, he's scored 81 goals, he's made 340 appearances - he's the biggest mystery in Villa history, because apparently he's cack - but he's likely finish amongst the top 15 goal scorers and in the top 15 for appearances made in 140 odd years.

Waster.

its the amount of games he's played that has allowed him to accumulate the goals tally which can be misleading when talking in prolific terms.....most of his peers were never allowed to accumulate that many games....shows how lethargic we have become in terms of management over the last decade.

Edited by TRO

Waster.

its the amount of games he's played that has allowed him to accumulate the goals tally which can be misleading when talking in prolific terms.....most of his peers were never allowed to accumulate that many games....shows how lethargic we have become in terms of management over the last decade.

Well he's stayed reasonably fit at least down the years but yes he should've been benched far more often in the last few years particularly for home games.

Edit: You know he looks finished here when even I've run out of patience.

Must say in the last 15 years he more than any other Villa player has given me some of the best moments in my time supporting the club, scorer of the first win at OT in 20 odd years, all the SHA goals late on, being at the Emirates when he scored the breakaway 2nd for our first win there in I think 15 years, many other important goals.

That's why I find it difficult to criticise him in the same way like I do Weimann but he has been poor for so long now and the crucial goals have dried up bar Liverpool away it's near impossible to.

Edited by VillaChris

Waster.

Most of his peers were unable to accumulate the appearances Gabby has, largely down to injury in fairness - the likes of Brian Little and Gary Shaw didn't get that opportunity, Gabby has proven more durable than them. I don't think his contribution to the club in the eleven years he's been in the first team squad should be underestimated in it's own right. If he retired tomorrow he'd have done enough to be very fondly remembered, and it's still possible he could be here another six or seven years.

That's one thing about Gabby, he's hardly ever injured. I can't recall any injury where he's been forced to miss any substantial amount of time since 2005/6.

He seems to have had a lot of niggling injures ever since O'Neill left.

That's one thing about Gabby, he's hardly ever injured. I can't recall any injury where he's been forced to miss any substantial amount of time since 2005/6.

He seems to have had a lot of niggling injures ever since O'Neill left.

O'Neill way overplayed him. Yes he was integral to our counter attack game back then but still should've been at least rotated a bit particularly when he stopped scoring post xmas.

Didn't one season under MON he played every single minute of every league game until March. You could say all that overplaying back then means his body breaks down on a regular basis now.

Waster.

Most of his peers were unable to accumulate the appearances Gabby has, largely down to injury in fairness - the likes of Brian Little and Gary Shaw didn't get that opportunity, Gabby has proven more durable than them. I don't think his contribution to the club in the eleven years he's been in the first team squad should be underestimated in it's own right. If he retired tomorrow he'd have done enough to be very fondly remembered, and it's still possible he could be here another six or seven years.

The beauty about this game is the difference of opinion....I personally would not put him in the same class as Shaw and Little....for sure he has scored some well executed and valuable goals...but for me, he has more iffy games than them....so for consistency of performance I would go with Brian & Gary, they were technicians.

Edited by TRO

TRO - I don't think there is a single fan around who would put him in the same bracket as Shaw and Little. I certainly wouldn't and I've only limited highlights of the those two to rely on. Rev's point I think, which I actually agree with, is that he has been of far more value to us then we at times credit him with.

Poor under Houllier and has been shit for about 18 months now, like so many of them. Other than that not only is it a lie to suggest he has been rubbish for 5 years but I would go as far as to say that in Lambert's first season he saved us just as much as Benteke did.

He's suddenly very underrated amongst the fans, maybe rightly so. Let's hope Sherwood can bring him back to life.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Â