Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I think it was part you said you would prefer Harewood to Ronaldo that lost some people ;)

Well in the context of my post it made sense...to me at least! Although off topic but I kind of miss Harewood, it was always funny watching him bundle around the pitch, you could generally see what he was trying to do he could just never pull it off, reminded me of myself when my Sunday league team gave me a go up front once (normally in goal)

got a wondergoal at Anfield

A goal? Ah, those were the days !

Fun fact, Marlon Harewood scored more Premier League goals in his first season in the league than Aston Villa have in total this season, and his tally of 5 from his first season at Villa would make him their current seasons top scorer

Anyone remember this?

GIF_20140211_213548.gif

It's brilliant, your woman is going balubas and the kid beside her can't believe his eyes. Then there's Hulk Hogan getting a migrane from thinking how on earth Gabby missed that shot (anyone got a gif?) and your man with his eyes coming out his head.

Edited by juteface
  • Like 1

I think it was part you said you would prefer Harewood to Ronaldo that lost some people ;)

Well in the context of my post it made sense...to me at least! Although off topic but I kind of miss Harewood, it was always funny watching him bundle around the pitch, you could generally see what he was trying to do he could just never pull it off, reminded me of myself when my Sunday league team gave me a go up front once (normally in goal)

do you like mushrooms?....i think maybe you have been buying the wrong sort.

do you like mushrooms?....i think maybe you have been buying the wrong sort.

Judging by his username, he's buying the right kind.

420 weedman!

• Like 1

But he can control a football, of course he's no Hazard where the ball is going to stick to him like glue every time it comes his way - the problem is people's minds have been made up and when a game comes where he will miscontrol maybe 1 out of 10 passes, its the 1 that people remember and crucify him for. Benteke has been infinitely more wasteful this season, but again, that's blamed on a "lack of confidence and mismanagement"

The problem I believe stems from how both players began their careers, Gabby was always seen as a sprinter, nothing more - I think even MON or one of the coaches at the time said that when he made his debut he really couldn't play football, just run in a straight line - but that was said as a precursor to how far he's come along since then and developed his game - but since that's the opinion that people naturally formed when he started playing, even when he got better people seemed to just expect the good performances to be 'more luck than judgement' and waited for him to inevitably make another mistake so they could say "I told you so". Now he's career has been seriously threatened as a result of this mismanagement the "I knew he was awful straight away" people are in with a vengeance, no mention of him constantly being played out of position.

You compare to Benteke who's first season he was like a freight train destroying teams and scoring goals for fun before losing his form - form that is still lost 2 years later, and everyone is more inclined to think the poor form is nothing more than a blip, its not his fault, how could ANYONE score goals or move 3 feet with this service, he was injured etc etc.

I'm not saying Gabby is a great player, far from it, but I do believe he has a place in this team as it stands. The chronic mismanagement excuse cannot only be applied to players we like, it has to apply to all and that includes Gabby. It really irks me when people will moan about how lazy he is and how he doesn't care when it was only 2 days ago against Hull, following another error in a long line of errors from Delph recently that he chased back 50/60 yards and made a tackle on the edge of our own box - while playing as a striker!

He isn't a gifted player but he does work hard and I feel that is the level of commitment that we need while entrenched in a relegation battle and should be applauded. Instead it gets ignored and he's berated because he missed a pass once in the game - I can all but guarantee that had that been Benteke, and it was Benteke that chased 50/60 yards back towards his own goal to make a tackle on a striker charging towards our goal, with the rest of his performance being identical it would be all people were talking about on here, how it proves that he's not lazy, proves it is Lamberts tactics after all etc etc.

Something else to consider from this season

Games involving Gabby - Pld 23, Won, 5, Drawn 6, Lost 12, GF 9, GA 16, Pts 21 =

0.91 pts per game

22% win ratio

0.39 goals scored per game

Personal record - Played 23 - Goals 3 = (0.130 goals per game)

(remember he has not played up front for the majority of those games either, playing out of position on the wing)

Games involving Benteke - Pld 16, Won 2, Drawn 3, Lost 11, GF 4, GA 11, Pts 9

0.56 pts per game

13% win ratio

0.25 goals scored per game

Personal record - Played 16 - Goals 2 = (0.125 goals per game)

(playing as the figurehead central striker)

We have been consistently better as a team with Gabby in it than with Benteke in it...the two goalscoring records this season are virtually identical despite one being a winger at least 60% of the time and the other playing as a striker 100% of the time, who do you think has taken more stick?

If you remove the first 4 games of the season (in which we massively overachieved) from the equation how does Gabby's contribution to results look like? I think you will agree that the those games are in no possible way a reflection of our season.

And Gabby hasn't come back from a bad injury.

Well sure you can remove the stats that don't suit your argument all you want I suppose, still doesn't make them any less valid.

I agree with the injury excuse, but it is still an excuse, same as the poor tactics or no service or mismanagement excuse. With Benteke all people look for is excuses as to why he isn't playing well, with Gabby all people see is that he's not playing well and instantly hate him for it, even though you could easily argue that Gabby has a lot more valid excuses than Benteke does.

Again I'll clarify, I'm not saying I think he's better than Benteke, I'm simply saying he's putting in far more effort and currently performing far better than Benteke and gets nothing but hate for it.

Give me a choice of a world class player like Ronaldo sulking around doing piss all every match or a bang average grafter like Harewood running his arse off and at least doing his absolute best every match I'll take Harewood every time (especially if his recent record is actually better, as Gabbys is now). A player can't really control how good/crap they are, what they can control is the effort they put in, that's why I'll defend players like Gabby and Weimann. They don't pick the team, they can't suddenly make themselves as good as Ronaldo, but they do their best for the team. Benteke? When he starts putting some effort in I'll defend him too

It's not that they don't suit my argument, it's that it's a case in which the WHOLE team overperformed and isn't a fair reflection of the situation. You can take a brief spell of games to prove anything you like, it's as if back then you said that we were the second best team in the country just because we were second in the league. If Heskey managed to score a hattrick against Bayern, that wouldn't be enough to make him a prolific striker, and that's all I was saying.
Ok but I'm looking at stats over the course of the whole season, not picking and choosing the best or worst ones throughout it. And I'm not trying to prove that he is a prolific striker, because a) he rarely plays as a striker and B) he is clearly not prolific. I'm simply saying he is bringing more to the team this season than Benteke.

Is it not odd that in a team where everyone except the defence has been crap we as fans will put that down to "poor management and tactics making them under perform" with players we like (Delph, Benteke) and "crap players who are playing at the top of their game and are just rubbish" with players we don't like (Gabby, Weimann, Cleverley).

If ALL the attacking players are playing rubbish that's down to tactics, in the same way that all the defence playing well except Lowton and Richardson that's not down to tactics, because they're fine for everyone else, it's just Lowton and Richardson not being good enough. If everyone attack minded was playing well and Gabby wasn't, that's not a tactical thing because it's working for everyone else, but that isn't the case, they're all playing badly and therefore they all get to use the same excuse, not just the ones that everyone likes

Sure, but I hope you will agree that it's very likely that had we had Benteke in those games instead of Gabby, the way the whole team played would have made Benteke's stats look better. Thing is, using team stats (I realize you also used individual stats) to make a point about one or 2 players doesn't really work. If you look at Gil's stats in the PL games he played they won't look all that good.

But he can control a football, of course he's no Hazard where the ball is going to stick to him like glue every time it comes his way - the problem is people's minds have been made up and when a game comes where he will miscontrol maybe 1 out of 10 passes, its the 1 that people remember and crucify him for. Benteke has been infinitely more wasteful this season, but again, that's blamed on a "lack of confidence and mismanagement"

The problem I believe stems from how both players began their careers, Gabby was always seen as a sprinter, nothing more - I think even MON or one of the coaches at the time said that when he made his debut he really couldn't play football, just run in a straight line - but that was said as a precursor to how far he's come along since then and developed his game - but since that's the opinion that people naturally formed when he started playing, even when he got better people seemed to just expect the good performances to be 'more luck than judgement' and waited for him to inevitably make another mistake so they could say "I told you so". Now he's career has been seriously threatened as a result of this mismanagement the "I knew he was awful straight away" people are in with a vengeance, no mention of him constantly being played out of position.

You compare to Benteke who's first season he was like a freight train destroying teams and scoring goals for fun before losing his form - form that is still lost 2 years later, and everyone is more inclined to think the poor form is nothing more than a blip, its not his fault, how could ANYONE score goals or move 3 feet with this service, he was injured etc etc.

I'm not saying Gabby is a great player, far from it, but I do believe he has a place in this team as it stands. The chronic mismanagement excuse cannot only be applied to players we like, it has to apply to all and that includes Gabby. It really irks me when people will moan about how lazy he is and how he doesn't care when it was only 2 days ago against Hull, following another error in a long line of errors from Delph recently that he chased back 50/60 yards and made a tackle on the edge of our own box - while playing as a striker!

He isn't a gifted player but he does work hard and I feel that is the level of commitment that we need while entrenched in a relegation battle and should be applauded. Instead it gets ignored and he's berated because he missed a pass once in the game - I can all but guarantee that had that been Benteke, and it was Benteke that chased 50/60 yards back towards his own goal to make a tackle on a striker charging towards our goal, with the rest of his performance being identical it would be all people were talking about on here, how it proves that he's not lazy, proves it is Lamberts tactics after all etc etc.

Something else to consider from this season

Games involving Gabby - Pld 23, Won, 5, Drawn 6, Lost 12, GF 9, GA 16, Pts 21 =

0.91 pts per game

22% win ratio

0.39 goals scored per game

Personal record - Played 23 - Goals 3 = (0.130 goals per game)

(remember he has not played up front for the majority of those games either, playing out of position on the wing)

Games involving Benteke - Pld 16, Won 2, Drawn 3, Lost 11, GF 4, GA 11, Pts 9

0.56 pts per game

13% win ratio

0.25 goals scored per game

Personal record - Played 16 - Goals 2 = (0.125 goals per game)

(playing as the figurehead central striker)

We have been consistently better as a team with Gabby in it than with Benteke in it...the two goalscoring records this season are virtually identical despite one being a winger at least 60% of the time and the other playing as a striker 100% of the time, who do you think has taken more stick?

If you remove the first 4 games of the season (in which we massively overachieved) from the equation how does Gabby's contribution to results look like? I think you will agree that the those games are in no possible way a reflection of our season.

And Gabby hasn't come back from a bad injury.

Well sure you can remove the stats that don't suit your argument all you want I suppose, still doesn't make them any less valid.

I agree with the injury excuse, but it is still an excuse, same as the poor tactics or no service or mismanagement excuse. With Benteke all people look for is excuses as to why he isn't playing well, with Gabby all people see is that he's not playing well and instantly hate him for it, even though you could easily argue that Gabby has a lot more valid excuses than Benteke does.

Again I'll clarify, I'm not saying I think he's better than Benteke, I'm simply saying he's putting in far more effort and currently performing far better than Benteke and gets nothing but hate for it.

Give me a choice of a world class player like Ronaldo sulking around doing piss all every match or a bang average grafter like Harewood running his arse off and at least doing his absolute best every match I'll take Harewood every time (especially if his recent record is actually better, as Gabbys is now). A player can't really control how good/crap they are, what they can control is the effort they put in, that's why I'll defend players like Gabby and Weimann. They don't pick the team, they can't suddenly make themselves as good as Ronaldo, but they do their best for the team. Benteke? When he starts putting some effort in I'll defend him too

It's not that they don't suit my argument, it's that it's a case in which the WHOLE team overperformed and isn't a fair reflection of the situation. You can take a brief spell of games to prove anything you like, it's as if back then you said that we were the second best team in the country just because we were second in the league. If Heskey managed to score a hattrick against Bayern, that wouldn't be enough to make him a prolific striker, and that's all I was saying.
Ok but I'm looking at stats over the course of the whole season, not picking and choosing the best or worst ones throughout it. And I'm not trying to prove that he is a prolific striker, because a) he rarely plays as a striker and B) he is clearly not prolific. I'm simply saying he is bringing more to the team this season than Benteke.

Is it not odd that in a team where everyone except the defence has been crap we as fans will put that down to "poor management and tactics making them under perform" with players we like (Delph, Benteke) and "crap players who are playing at the top of their game and are just rubbish" with players we don't like (Gabby, Weimann, Cleverley).

If ALL the attacking players are playing rubbish that's down to tactics, in the same way that all the defence playing well except Lowton and Richardson that's not down to tactics, because they're fine for everyone else, it's just Lowton and Richardson not being good enough. If everyone attack minded was playing well and Gabby wasn't, that's not a tactical thing because it's working for everyone else, but that isn't the case, they're all playing badly and therefore they all get to use the same excuse, not just the ones that everyone likes

Sure, but I hope you will agree that it's very likely that had we had Benteke in those games instead of Gabby, the way the whole team played would have made Benteke's stats look better. Thing is, using team stats (I realize you also used individual stats) to make a point about one or 2 players doesn't really work. If you look at Gil's stats in the PL games he played they won't look all that good.
Sure, that could have been the case, but we'll never know for sure and Benteke has been so poor many times this season I firmly believe he has been a large hindrance to the team.

I wasn't putting the stats up to prove Gabby has been great, I don't actually think Gabbys been any good at all this season, in previous years I've always thought of him as an important player as he does so much selfless work for the team, his goalscoring stats have never been great, but that's not his game (bit like goals were never Heskeys thing but he was still excellent for every team he's played for). I do think though that this season he has suffered in the same way the rest of our attacking players have, so to single out him or Andi for not being good enough while allowing Benteke off the hook because of tactics is a cop out. They've all been playing under the same conditions and all playing poorly, at least Gabby and Andi have put some effort in

Sherwood wont put up with any antics, players with reputations and not performing rarely got games at Spurs last season like Lamela and Soldado

That should suit Gabby then, seeing as outside of this thread there's absolutely no hint that he's anything but a model pro who isn't performing, if Sherwood can get him working in effective areas on the pitch, it's a massive bonus for us.

• Like 4

I think sherwood is the kind of manager who can get the best out of gabby.

I hope if he does pick gabby it's as a forward.

People please! there is no best of Gabby, what you see is what you get. Give this up please never going to happen. poor footballer period.

• Like 2

I think sherwood is the kind of manager who can get the best out of gabby.

I hope if he does pick gabby it's as a forward.

People please! there is no best of Gabby, what you see is what you get. Give this up please never going to happen. poor footballer period.

We'll see aye?

Hopefully one of the first things Sherwood does on Monday morning is call Gabby into his office & tell him his days of being an Aston Villa Charlie Big Potatoes are well & truly over! 

Has offered absolutely nothing for years! 

• Like 2

Â