Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Err...no. He never plays as a winger, rather as a narrow wide-forward and that is only when we play 4-3-3. When we play any of the other formations with a front two, he plays as one of the front-two. All-in-all, three goals is a pretty pathetic return bearing this in mind.

I disagree. It's very rare that Gabby is in a central striker position, he's nearly always our wide as a forward or literally on the wing. Also, 'winger' or 'narrow wide forward', what difference does it make?... The point is, he's out on the wing, further away from the goal, being relied on to run, cross and create, instead of linger in the box and spend all game trying to score.

We have played 4-3-3 in fifteen out of thirty-one league games. We have thus played with formations involving a front-two in the other sixteen. This is fact.

Also, do I really need to elaborate on the difference between a winger and a wide-forward? Are you seriously trying to suggest that there is no difference between the overall positioning of Gabby and an actual winger like Albrighton? Gabby as wide-forward drifts inside a lot and has plenty of opportunities to find himself in goalscoring positions. How do you think he scored nine goals from there last season?

• Like 2

Much as I love Gabby as player he has been dire this season. Always running into blind alleys, taking the wrong option, shooting straight at the goalkeeper. I put all of that down to complacency on his part. He needs to work for his place in the starting 11 so I would bench him. Not sure who I would replace him with, perhaps give Helenius a start? He could not do any worse.

If Gabby realised he was not an automatic starter maybe he would put more of a shift in. Mind you that would apply to Weimann who has been dreadful this season too. Oh and add Benteke to that list too.

Much as I love Gabby as player he has been dire this season. Always running into blind alleys, taking the wrong option, shooting straight at the goalkeeper. I put all of that down to complacency on his part. He needs to work for his place in the starting 11 so I would bench him. Not sure who I would replace him with, perhaps give Helenius a start? He could not do any worse.

If Gabby realised he was not an automatic starter maybe he would put more of a shift in. Mind you that would apply to Weimann who has been dreadful this season too. Oh and add Benteke to that list too.

I agree with nearly all of this - not sure about Helenius (maybe that was a joke?). I love Gabby but have felt for a couple of seasons it is time for him to move on. He would benefit from a new environment and fresh challenges. Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

We have to put sentiment aside. If Gabby was not to be offered a new contract, what would another club offer. Certainly wouldnt be 60k over 4 years. 40k max. Id offer him 30k, no more.

And on another note, gabbys main attribute is his pace. As he gets older(over next 4 years) this will go abit. So i guess what im saying, its unlikely he will get any better.

From what i have seen both Agbonlahor and Wiemann have never really been that good i was very surprised when he was selected for England, but anyway that didn't last long.  We would be no worse off without them and i would prefer someone like Vokes of Burnley or Charlie Austin!!!  They seem to score quite regularly and that's all a striker is supposed to do! 

we have aready tried that and its called darren bent. look where he is now

I don't have that kind of memory, Isa :)

I do know that I've watched every game this season except Crystal Palace , and after about half or more of them I've ended up thinking "Thank **** we've got Gabby".

Fair enough, we all see things differently I suppose :)

I would rank his performances this season as follows:

Excellent: Arsenal (A), Sunderland (A), Liverpool (A)

Good/decent: Chelsea (H & A), Norwich (H & A), Southampton (A), Swansea (H), Newcastle (A)

Mediocre/Anonymous/Poor: Liverpool (H), Newcastle (H), Hull (A), Tottenham (H), Everton (H), Sunderland (H), Fulham (A), Manchester United (H & A), Crystal Palace (H), Arsenal (H), West Ham (H), Cardiff (A), Stoke (H)

Conclusion: Ten acceptable performances from twenty-four and thus not worthy of being one of our highest earners.

From what i have seen both Agbonlahor and Wiemann have never really been that good i was very surprised when he was selected for England, but anyway that didn't last long.  We would be no worse off without them and i would prefer someone like Vokes of Burnley or Charlie Austin!!!  They seem to score quite regularly and that's all a striker is supposed to do! 

we have aready tried that and its called darren bent. look where he is now

I don't think the two strikers i mentioned can be described as "Darren Bents", as their teams do not carry them and all the teams Darren Bent played had to carry him because he had nothing else in the cupboard and he only scored in the 6yd area!!

Isa: I'd have no problem offering a lower wage. I agree he needs to offer more to justify being one of the highest earners. But he's a Villa fan, scores important goals, and even in games where he doesn't do that much his contribution is often the only bit of creativity we have.

Not everyone cares whether our players are Villa fans or not, but I'm one who very much does. If football is to have any kind of a soul, there should be at least SOME of the team who aren't in it purely for money and glory. We're lucky to have two such players in our team/squad, and personally I take some satisfaction from that.

• Like 3

I think that some people need to wake up and smell the coffee!!  The game is all about money these days and that includes the players!  As for glory you have to have glory or what is the point of being a footballer!!  It would seem pretty pointless to go out on a football pitch in front camera's and a cast of thousands and do nothing, even if you look like your trying to do something on the pitch.  Look at Brad Guzan for example how many mistakes does he make?  Very few!  And what's going to happen some one quite big is going to take notice and pay mega money for him and he will look even better as he will have an actual defence in front of him instead of the comedy club!!!! 

Wake up and smell the coffee! Ahahaaa! That's brilliant! It's like saying wake up, except you introduced the thing with the coffee, which as we all know is something that one often smells in the morning (assuming our partner/mum/carer has made it before we awaken).

• Like 1

Isa: I'd have no problem offering a lower wage. I agree he needs to offer more to justify being one of the highest earners. But he's a Villa fan, scores important goals, and even in games where he doesn't do that much his contribution is often the only bit of creativity we have.

Not everyone cares whether our players are Villa fans or not, but I'm one who very much does. If football is to have any kind of a soul, there should be at least SOME of the team who aren't in it purely for money and glory. We're lucky to have two such players in our team/squad, and personally I take some satisfaction from that.

How can you say with any certainty that Gabby isn't doing it for the money though when he is one of the highest earners? Whether one of our players is a fan or not should play no part in judging their value to the team. Olof Mellberg wasn't a fan and put in as much effort as was possible whereas self-proclaimed fan Stan Collymore showed about as much desire as Stephen Ireland.

Absolutely correct. Gabby has been here through thick and thin, I feel he deserves a lot more respect than to be judged like a piece of meat. He is one of us. And also a fantastic ambassador for this great club.

I personally think it is great when our supporters connect with the players (whether they support Villa or not), it is brilliant. Football is becoming too dehumanised and more about "results". We need good qualities like loyalty and hope to keep us going through the challenging times.

• Like 3

Â