Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

We don't know that Ciaran Clark wasn't secretly approached by Real Madrid during his time here either. No evidence suggests he was therefore you just assume he wasn't. That's how it works.

But we're are talking about Gabby and the above link discusses a £15mill bid from Arsenal, evidence?

We don't know that Ciaran Clark wasn't secretly approached by Real Madrid during his time here either. No evidence suggests he was therefore you just assume he wasn't. That's how it works.

But we're are talking about Gabby and the above link discusses a £15mill bid from Arsenal, evidence?

A tenuous link doesn't prove any serious approach though. How many players are we linked to in the press each year who we clearly had no interest in?

Also, I personally 'connect' with players who perform consistantly on the pitch, not whether they are a fan or not. I really couldn't care less what team our players support in fact.

I think a large majority of local fans that I know prefer to see local academy graduates in the side. I agree with you that the most important thing is ability and performance but the fact Gabby clearly hates blues fans (with good reason) and they all hate him isn't something I couldn't care less about. 

I'm all for having a bunch of high quality mercenaries who wouldn't piss on me if I was on fire that fly up from London in their helicopters every game if it meant we were challenging for / winning stuff but what the **** is the point if we're nowhere near? We'd be shipping out a guy who has put in some great performances in the games most important to the fans and has become one of the senior pros at the club for the sake of what? Hoping to get someone better in within our budget when we have far more pressing requirements?

Yes he needs competition and yes I'd prefer it if he wasn't an automatic starter regardless of form but why the **** are people so keen to let him go for free without a better alternative for his position in the squad?

• Like 3

A tenuous link doesn't prove any serious approach though. How many players are we linked to in the press each year who we clearly had no interest in?

Probably the same amount as we aren't linked with at all and then come out of knowhere?

Also, I personally 'connect' with players who perform consistantly on the pitch, not whether they are a fan or not. I really couldn't care less what team our players support in fact.

I think a large majority of local fans that I know prefer to see local academy graduates in the side. I agree with you that the most important thing is ability and performance but the fact Gabby clearly hates blues fans (with good reason) and they all hate him isn't something I couldn't care less about. 

I'm all for having a bunch of high quality mercenaries who wouldn't piss on me if I was on fire that fly up from London in their helicopters every game if it meant we were challenging for / winning stuff but what the **** is the point if we're nowhere near? We'd be shipping out a guy who has put in some great performances in the games most important to the fans and has become one of the senior pros at the club for the sake of what? Hoping to get someone better in within our budget when we have far more pressing requirements?

Yes he needs competition and yes I'd prefer it if he wasn't an automatic starter regardless of form but why the **** are people so keen to let him go for free without a better alternative for his position in the squad?

I didn't read anything in that post that justifies him remaining as one of our highest earners. Unless 'hating Blues fans' counts.

Sunderland would've been a sideways move at most. It's not like they are a bigger/better club or would've paid him higher wages is it?

Up yours Gabby haters!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/gabriel-agbonlahor-pledges-future-to-aston-villa-amid-sunderland-speculation-7972740.html

Sunderland would've been a sideways move at most. It's not like they are a bigger/better club or would've paid him higher wages is it?

Martin O'Neill was in charge of Sunderland.......

• Like 1

Up yours Gabby haters!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/gabriel-agbonlahor-pledges-future-to-aston-villa-amid-sunderland-speculation-7972740.html

Links aren't evidence apparently

I didn't read anything in that post that justifies him remaining as one of our highest earners. Unless 'hating Blues fans' counts.

What kind of stupid shit to say is that? You said you couldn't care less about local club supporting players, his bluenose hatred was just an illustration of the kind of thing that endears him to fans.

You're advocating not offering a contract at all AFAIK. He doesn't have to be offered the wages of a key first team player if he isn't going to be one.

Anyway, he's the most experienced member of our squad, he's been at the club his entire career, he's capable of winning big games single-handedly, he's a (match attending) fan favourite. Luckily the people in charge realise this and aren't just going to bin him off at the first opportunity.

Up yours Gabby haters!

So? They still were not going to pay him any more than the significant wage-packet he is already on here. Adam Johnson was his 'big' signing and is reportedly on £50k per week, the same or maybe even less than Gabby.

You're advocating not offering a contract at all AFAIK. He doesn't have to be offered the wages of a key first team player if he isn't going to be one.

I'm actually arguing that he should take a significant pay-cut, in line with his resctricted contribution each season, if he wishes to remain here.

You don't know what he earns now and wouldn't know what he earned on a new contract. All that you'll know is our total wage bill and who is under contract. So what are you so unhappy about?

Basic logic tells us he is a significant earner given that he is a survivor of the MON reign when even the most mediocre players were given big contracts. The reports on his current wage vary at between £50-60k per week and to be fair, I have always taken the lowest of such estimations.

We didn't know the exact wages of Stephen Ireland or Shay Given either but we know enough to label them high-earners did we not?

The reports? THE REPORTS? I thought you'd just dismissed such reports as tenuous and hearsay.

Basic logic would also tell us a player who came 3rd in the PFA YPOTS would be coveted by other clubs but you just scoffed at the reports supporting that.

The reports? THE REPORTS? I thought you'd just dismissed such reports as tenuous and hearsay.

Basic logic would also tell us a player who came 3rd in the PFA YPOTS would be coveted by other clubs but you just scoffed at the reports supporting that.

No, I claimed a solitary run-of-the-mill transfer rumour as evidence that any actual bid for Gabby was ever made for which there are NO reports to suggest this. I have no problem with reports in general but random transfer links of which there are many every summer should be taken lightly in themselves until backed up by reports of an actual offer being made or confirmation of the interest from the clubs or the player involved.

Edited by Isa

should be taken lightly in themselves until back-up by reports of an actual offer being made or confirmation of the interest from the clubs or the player involved.

So if the same standards are applied should you not take any reports of GA's proposed new contract talks lightly (or even dismiss them out of hand) until back-up by reports of an actual contract being offered or confirmation of the wages being offered by the club or player involved?

I can't say I'm convinced by the argument that if a player hasn't had an offer from another club, that he isn't any good.  If he's one of the rare breed of players that is genuinely happy at Villa and wants to stay here all his career, then his agent, if he has one, won't be touting him round, and in my opinion agents are the cause of most transfer stories.

I do agree that Gabby has been disappointing this year, but then so has just about everybody else, and he'd be way down the list of players I'd get rid of first.  Gabby and John Carew as a partnership were unplayable at times, and if played up front next to a fully committed Benteke, with a decent midfield behind him I reckon he'd be back to his best.  Gabby has always been at his best running at defenders from a proper striker's position in and around the area.  He isn't great as a winger, despite his pace making people play him there.  Weimann is suffering from the same syndrome this season as well.  Just play a proper 4-4-2.

• Like 1

So if the same standards are applied should you not take any reports of GA's proposed new contract talks lightly (or even dismiss them out of hand) until back-up by reports of an actual contract being offered or confirmation of the wages being offered by the club or player involved?

No as it is called hypothetical discussion. I have been arguing why I don't believe he should remain as one of our highest earners in any new deal offered. Also, he is on the verge of entering the final year of his contract which will force some kind of decision from the club this summer anyway, so it is a relevant discussion to have.

Gabby and John Carew as a partnership were unplayable at times, and if played up front next to a fully committed Benteke, with a decent midfield behind him I reckon he'd be back to his best. Gabby has always been at his best running at defenders from a proper striker's position in and around the area. He isn't great as a winger, despite his pace making people play him there. Weimann is suffering from the same syndrome this season as well. Just play a proper 4-4-2.

He has been permanently moved out wide though because he never proved to be prolific enough as a striker. Under MON the best he managed was thirteen league goals in a season which tells the story really.

Edited by Isa

But you'll never know if he is or isn't with his new deal. It's not in anyone's interest to disclose how much he would be earning and if we make any sales / purchases it will be almost impossible to work it out from the accounts.

What will you base your opinion of his new salary on? It will be undisclosed and there is no precedent from Lambert for offering established PL players contracts so he could either be scrooge McDuck or MON.

If he gets a new contract will you be happy because of the paycut he might have taken or disappointed because of the paycut he might have not taken?

Never has he ever scored enough goals to be classed as a striker and i have seen him go to sleep in a lot of games, his lack of focus is appalling and i don't care where he's from and I'm a Manchester born lad who has always supported Villa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Â