Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Ginko you really are talking garbage (again)

Gabby has been either injured or dicked about by bell end managers

Villa leg

So Gabby has been perfect and always put the effort in and made the right choices? Rubbish.

When fit and played in position and not slagged off and put down by his manager, Yes, Yes he has.

So get back in your box ;-)

I'm with Ginko on this one. I've seen many Gabby performances over the past few years where he really looked completely disinterested. To say he's always given 100% in every game is just wrong.

What he does do, is show up in the big games. Gabby is consistently inconsistent with effort/form. He always has been. If he could give his all every game he'd be a top top player. Unfortunately, when you're a limited footballer who doesn't try 100% every game it can look extremely bad. Anyway, I hope Gabby can keep up this form because he's really been excellent of late. 

Villa leg

So Gabby has been perfect and always put the effort in and made the right choices? Rubbish.

When fit and played in position and not slagged off and put down by his manager, Yes, Yes he has.

I'm with Ginko on this one. I've seen many Gabby performances over the past few years where he really looked completely disinterested. To say he's always given 100% in every game is just wrong.

What he does do, is show up in the big games. Gabby is consistently inconsistent with effort/form. He always has been. If he could give his all every game he'd be a top top player. Unfortunately, when you're a limited footballer who doesn't try 100% every game it can look extremely bad. Anyway, I hope Gabby can keep up this form because he's really been excellent of late. 

I think it is also down to the manager to get the best out of players, Houllier and MCleish failed to do this with Gabby, Oneill and Lambert have. So full credit to Lambert in his man management skills.

What I'm saying is that he bulked up a whole season before Houllier became manager (i.e. the summer before 09-10). GH may have told him to stop, but by that point it was too late. I remember Beckham and Owen both made similar mistakes (which is when Beckham lost the ability to beat a man), but nowadays it's very rare that a manager lets his players take personal responsibility for their fitness regimes. MON was too old school - didn't believe in squad rotation and clearly didn't bother with sports science post-1980. I think Gaby was one of the big victims of this, because physically he's a thoroughbred, one of the fastest players in PL history. We should have looked after him better.

That season Gabby scored 16 goals in all competitions and helped us finish 6th and have two good cup runs.

The speed he showed when setting up that chance for Weimann shows he has got most of his pace back to me.

Spot on! - Gabby is definitely after Usain Bolt's Double Double olympic records now.

Go on Gabby you absolute beautie! Top top man!

What I'm saying is that he bulked up a whole season before Houllier became manager (i.e. the summer before 09-10). GH may have told him to stop, but by that point it was too late. I remember Beckham and Owen both made similar mistakes (which is when Beckham lost the ability to beat a man), but nowadays it's very rare that a manager lets his players take personal responsibility for their fitness regimes. MON was too old school - didn't believe in squad rotation and clearly didn't bother with sports science post-1980. I think Gaby was one of the big victims of this, because physically he's a thoroughbred, one of the fastest players in PL history. We should have looked after him better.

That season Gabby scored 16 goals in all competitions and helped us finish 6th and have two good cup runs.

See what I was responding to though - the accusation that Gabby was to blame for bulking up. Was that not also the season where Gabby completely burnt out, costing us a realistic shot at a Champions League place, because MON refused to rotate the team? I've always thought most of the subsequent problems we've had with him were a direct result of that. When he isn't overplayed and f--ked about by bad managers, he always seems to me to give 100%.

Villa leg

He's the Ronnie O'Sullivan of the Premiership world.

Seasons come and seasons go but people still keep churning out the same old tired cliches about Gabby (lost his pace, doesn't try except in big games, no footballing brain, etc.) I think he put two fat fingers up to all that stuff this season.

• Like 1

He's been great this season. He's become a better footballer and we miss him big time when he's injured. 

In the past I thought he was a bit limited but I'm won over again. I hope he stays at Villa his whole career. 

Edited by praisedmambo

Seasons come and seasons go but people still keep churning out the same old tired cliches about Gabby (lost his pace, doesn't try except in big games, no footballing brain, etc.) I think he put two fat fingers up to all that stuff this season.

as good as he has been 6 months doesnt hide teh fact he was poor from 2010-2012

Gabby was injured for alot of Houlliers reign.  I don't really count McLeish's season as it was a very defensive set up.  Even then he started the season really brightly.  He is a big game player and helps to stretch teams.  We missed him against Fulham.  However the issue we have is that he is on £50k pw.  Too much money.

Â