Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I've criticised Gabby plenty in the past, and rightly so, in my opinion.

I don't think he's an amazing player.

But **** me, say what you like about him, he scores some crucial goals for this football club. When it matters, he really does seem like he cares and can pull it out of the bag.

Absolutely love the guy. Villa through and through.

• Like 1

But **** me, say what you like about him, he scores some crucial goals for this football club. When it matters, he really does seem like he cares and can pull it out of the bag.

This! 

This! 

Yep - played a real senior pro's role the last few games.

As someone said - pretty sure we would have beat Fulham had he been fit. Seemed to loose his way last few seasons - but has been great the few weeks - hope he carries it on into next season.

I think Gabby has actually benefitted from the difficult past couple of years. Often he's had to fill whatever gap we have in our attack, a lot of the time out wide which never seemed to come to him naturally. Fortunately he's a grafter so he's got his head down and got on with it which is why he now is a much more rounded player, one capable of running the channels, holding the ball up or getting it into the box when required and adding to his all round game.

A lot of people say he isn't the most naturally gifted player but the natural asset of his pace makes him formidable to any defence, as he's added to his game it just makes him more of a nightmare to face. Even when he's not on the best form you can imagine his name being on the team sheet giving defenders sleepless nights and providing cause for opposing sides to change things up to cope with him and that always leaves the chance of deficiencies elsewhere that we can exploit.

While he might not be the player with the highest theoretical value on the open market, for us he's priceless.

• Like 1

Can't believe he's only 26 too.

Seems like he's been around forever! He's gonna be a legend, and if he can stay injury free he could top 100 league goals for us. He's only what, 37 goals away?

• Like 1

Seems like he's been around forever! He's gonna be a legend, and if he can stay injury free he could top 100 league goals for us. He's only what, 37 goals away?

26 away I think (it might be 27), he's also about 10 games away from his 300th.

I was re-watching the Norwich highlights and I agree with a few before me, he's definitely got his pace back.

Indeed. Absolutely blistering, the quickest he has been in years. He has bulked down, he's fully fit and he's a threat again. Long may it continue. 

• Like 1

26 away I think (it might be 27), he's also about 10 games away from his 300th.

So 27 goals in the next 10 and he's a 1 in 3 average  ;)

Around 1 in 4 right now, with at a guess half of those goals from the wing? I mean blimey, what more can you ask for. Yes, he was shit under Houllier, he just didn't seem to fit the plan (whatever it was). Was bang in form early on under McLeish before injuries done for him.

Now he's back, same old Gabby. Inconsistent yes, but he always seems to step up to the mark when we really need him to.

I think he should play for England again, in what appears to be his natural position. 

I don't think his been consistent for long enough for England. Got his chance a few years back and didnt really take it. Think he set up a goal v a woeful Germany but then played Spain and it wasnt a great game to be involved in.

If he has a whole season next year like the last 3 months of this one then he has a chance. Sadly, I dont think he can keep it up (going on past seasons).

Great attitude in recent times and we have witnessed a real passion from Gabby for Aston Villa. He is limited but he is currently playing to his strengths and I hope he can go forth and get some consistency in his game, for himself but most importantly for Aston Villa.

I don't think his been consistent for long enough for England. Got his chance a few years back and didnt really take it. Think he set up a goal v a woeful Germany but then played Spain and it wasnt a great game to be involved in.

If he has a whole season next year like the last 3 months of this one then he has a chance. Sadly, I dont think he can keep it up (going on past seasons).

I don't think he's great by any stretch but he deserves to be in there ahead of the likes of Carroll and Welbeck.

He has a lot to thank McLeish for,who imo unleashed his ability to the fullest 

I don't really see what McLeish needs thanking for? In the beginning Gabby excelled under a new manager (as some players often do) but once McLeish had been around for a while Gabby's form plummeted along with everyone else's. I think Gabby's worst ever period was towards the tail-end of last season when the McLeish effect had really set in.

I love the way gabby always turns up for the derby games and usually bags a goal.

Great to have a local lad doing well for us. Hope he stays a one club man.

Â