Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

2 minutes ago, Dave J said:

But seriously you did not pick a very good example to support your cause. That goal assist was not difficult to achieve. You have to try much harder to come up with something much better than this.

I, as well as some others have come up with several examples, videos etc. It has been done to death and i'm frankly tired, will try my best to leave you all to it.

He was cheered on, although it helped that his arrival immediately followed some intense anti-Delphisms.

I actually thought he looked a little more interested, a little more lively, and our general play brightened a little.

I'm happy to criticise the player he has become, but there is no doubt that if Garde could get him interested he could still play a useful role in the Championship for us.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, terrytini said:

He was cheered on, although it helped that his arrival immediately followed some intense anti-Delphisms.

I actually thought he looked a little more interested, a little more lively, and our general play brightened a little.

I'm happy to criticise the player he has become, but there is no doubt that if Garde could get him interested he could still play a useful role in the Championship for us.

Hmmm, interesting point. I wish, but I can't help think he is finished. Rooney's brilliant star has faded with age, but he has a locker full of talent and intense work rate and drive to fall back on that enables him stake a case, but Gabby never had anything other than pace, his two or three very average goal scoring seasons are a long, long behind him now. I don't think he is good enough for the Championship either. I think if he had anything to offer, a Championship team would've picked him up this window (if his wages were less than half what they are).

I would rather we were debating another striker than Gabby I really do, he's a waste of time, filling his bank account while he can.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Hard to disagree with that either. But I still think he might get double figures.

And we can't debate another striker here, its the Gabby thread !:)

Look everyone is well aware of my views on Gabby; and I am trying to be balanced here, but I very much doubt he will break double 

figures even in the championship. Let's  be fair he has never been a natural goal scorer has he? So what  is  showing right now that suggests otherwise ?

3 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Look everyone is well aware of my views on Gabby; and I am trying to be balanced here, but I very much doubt he will break double 

figures even in the championship. Let's  be fair he has never been a natural goal scorer has he? So what  is  showing right now that suggests otherwise ?

Yeah I'm not going to put my house on it, the key words were "think "  "might", and "if Garde could get him interested".

Gabby is not brilliant but he has always been an easy target for criticism. the fact is all the managers he has had since MON have not helped him plus Gabby has not really helped himself either but for me a good manager would get something out of him

He ran around a bit but didn't do anything worthy of being the highest paid player.

Completely irrelevant to us though isn't it? How much he's paid I mean.

I don't see what choice we have but to give him a go. If he's fit and even remotely motivated that is. Grim.

• Like 1

Doug, never been a good player, yes your right about the purple patches, but so few and far between and decidedly average either side of the sporadic purple patches. 

They weren't that few and far between though. A cursory glance at his history right up until Lambert's second season would show that. He was a good young player in a team that should have played in the Champions League.

John Carew was a "purple patch" player too wasn't he, yet still earned admiration. I assume you didn't rate him either, or Ashley Young?

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

They weren't that few and far between though. A cursory glance at his history right up until Lambert's second season would show that. He was a good young player in a team that should have played in the Champions League.

John Carew was a "purple patch" player too wasn't he, yet still earned admiration. I assume you didn't rate him either, or Ashley Young?

If that's your view of a good young player Doug, then fair enough that's up to you. I didn't rate him during the period you recall  and saw these days coming even back then.

However I find it odd that you presume I wouldn't rate Ashley Young? Ash was technically very very good, easy on the eye, full of tricks and a joy to watch. Everything that Gabby isn't IMO. 

Due to our lack of activity in the transfer market, think we are going to have to use him unfortunately! Shouldn't be a starter for sure but for the next 2/3 games I would give him a go and see what we get from him. 

• Like 1

If that's your view of a good young player Doug, then fair enough that's up to you. I didn't rate him during the period you recall  and saw these days coming even back then.

However I find it odd that you presume I wouldn't rate Ashley Young? Ash was technically very very good, easy on the eye, full of tricks and a joy to watch. Everything that Gabby isn't IMO. 

It is my view yes.

Gabby was productive. Not quite Ashley Young levels of productive granted, but productive nonetheless. I think you'd be quite surprised to find their goal/assist numbers to be very similar. Regularly 10-16 goals and 6-8 assists over a 4 year period, as well as the aforementioned season under Lambert. If that's not the definition of a "good" player then I'm confused as to what is.

Â