Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

1 hour ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Only in recent history, Gabby isn't even in our top 10 goalscorers of all time, him being our top Premier League goalscorer is just a testament to how bad we've been in the last couple of decades.

So, he is the best of a bad bunch?

There is a vast gulf between the player Gabby was and the player he now is.

Even at his best he was very limited, now he offers nothing at all, nothing.

Edited by sne
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, sne said:

There is a wast gulf between the player Gabby was and the player he now is.

Even at his best he was very limited, now he offers nothing at all, nothing.

Have you misspelt VAST, WAIST, or WASTE ?  Or are you saving time by combining the three ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, momo said:

Gabby is one of the all time top goalscorers for Aston Villa.

I make no apologies for saying this again. If I had been lucky enough to be a striker at our wonderful football club and  having played as many games as he has done now and remained south of 100 goals I'd be more than disappointed in myself. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

I make no apologies for saying this again. If I had been lucky enough to be a striker at our wonderful football club and  having played as many games as he has done now and remained south of 100 goals I'd be more than disappointed in myself. 

Clearly he is the better player of you two, since he gets to play for his boyhood club on a regular basis and you do not. Apologies for saying this.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, villanmac said:

Is he **** playing for arsenal!

He is playing for **** Villa? This old, but good article says it best. here

PROUD Brummie Gabby Agbonlahor has sacrificed a pocketful of gold and a pile of silverware to remain a local hero at Aston Villa.

But he is damned if he is going to let his Premier League status slip through his fingers too.

The former England international has seen Ashley Young and Stewart Downing leave Villa Park for Manchester United and Liverpool respectively for £37million.

And tomorrow Manchester City duo Gareth Barry and James Milner will return as Premier League champions.

Contrast that with boyhood fan Agbonlahor, whose reward for his loyalty has been two turbulent seasons scrapping to avoid relegation.

He said: “Much as you want to win things, as long as I’m enjoying my football here — and Villa want me — I’m happy to stay.

“Players who have left have had their reasons for leaving.

“Apart from one disappointing season when I wasn’t playing as much as I wanted, I’ve always enjoyed playing here so I’ve had no reason or desire to move.

“I’d find it hard to say I have any regrets about being a one-club player.

“It hasn’t crossed my mind that I might NEVER win a trophy with Villa — especially this season when we were disappointed to go out to Bradford in the Capital One Cup, that’s a tie we should have won.

“But at least it was a semi-final, which showed we are getting closer to Wembley. Hopefully, next season we can go that extra step.”

Lightning-quick, powerful and with an eye for goal, Agbonlahor appeared to have the world at his feet when Fabio Capello called up the Under-21 star to the England squad for the friendly with Germany in November 2008.

Agbonlahor started that season by scoring a ‘perfect’ hat-trick in seven minutes against City with his head, left foot and right foot.

Yet like the club he loves, the 26-year-old forward appears to be punching way below his weight.

He said: “Avoiding relegation is not as good as winning a trophy but the Premier League is the only place I want to be.

“I’m honestly not thinking about relegation, I’m only thinking about helping the team to get out of where we are now.

“We know as a team we have got into this mess ourselves by not getting enough points.

“We’re in another relegation scrap but we are in it together and we will fight for each other to get out of it.

“As a local lad, a lot of my mates are Villa fans and they ask me ‘We’re not going down are we?’. Look at the table, there are a lot of teams within reach and a couple of wins will take us up a few places.”

But a quick glance down does not provide much comfort for Agbonlahor as there are just two teams below Villa.

He added: “As long as you are in the bottom three it is in your mind as a player. It would scare anyone.

“If it was a massive gap to get out of the bottom three you’d be a lot more scared but a point or two and you’re out.

“It’s going to be tough because Manchester City are trying to prove people wrong who are having a go at them.

“This is a nothing-to-lose game for us. As much as they need to win, we need three points too.

“We’ll go into it thinking it’s a cup final.”

12 hours ago, momo said:

Clearly he is the better player of you two, since he gets to play for his boyhood club on a regular basis and you do not. Apologies for saying this.

So what? The OP never claimed to be a better footballer than Gabby. The point he was making is that given the number of appearances Gabby has made we might reasonably expect his goal tally to be higher.

3 hours ago, Villanun said:

So what? The OP never claimed to be a better footballer than Gabby. The point he was making is that given the number of appearances Gabby has made we might reasonably expect his goal tally to be higher.

Sure.

If I was getting the same number of appearances for France that Zidane got, I would have headbutted the football into the net, instead of headbutting Materazzi in 2006 and won the World Cup. That is reasonable to expect. Since I would have been on the field. And not Zidane. Like for real. I would do it better.

Edited by momo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, momo said:

Sure.

If I was getting the same number of appearances for France that Zidane got, I would have headbutted the football into the net, instead of headbutting Materazzi in 2006 and won the World Cup. That is reasonable to expect. Since I would have been on the field. And not Zidane. Like for real. I would do it better.

You can compare yourself to a footballer if you want. Literally nobody else has. I suppose if your restaurant meal is raw you don't complain because you're not a Michelin-starred chef.

Or to put it another way, 73 goals in 316 appearances for Gabby, 147 goals for Frank Lampard in 429 appearances for Chelsea. And Lampard is a midfielder. Is Gabby's goal return good enough?

1 hour ago, Villanun said:

You can compare yourself to a footballer if you want. Literally nobody else has. I suppose if your restaurant meal is raw you don't complain because you're not a Michelin-starred chef.

Or to put it another way, 73 goals in 316 appearances for Gabby, 147 goals for Frank Lampard in 429 appearances for Chelsea. And Lampard is a midfielder. Is Gabby's goal return good enough?

I was not comparing myself to Zidane, I used the same logic. It's all about the if's. If I played instead of Zidane, if I played instead of Gabby, if.., if... Well, there is a reason Gabby plays for Villa and not you or me. He is faster, more agile, has better ability than anyone on here complaining about him. If you hypothetically had his spot in the team, and hypothetically his abilities, then it is only hypothetical if you would have done it better, worse or as good as him, as a striker or on the wing.

And Zidane scored less goals than Lampard. Is Lampard better than Zidane?

3 hours ago, momo said:

Sure.

Well let's lock up the entire message board now? Shut down social media, sack any pundit that hasn't won every trophy, take talksport off the airwaves.

Actually I was being hyperbolic, but my last request still stands.

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Well let's lock up the entire message board now? Shut down social media, sack any pundit that hasn't won every trophy, take talksport off the airwaves.

Actually I was being hyperbolic, but my last request still stands.

It is one thing being critical in an informed way, and critical like thinking you are better than a player or a manager. Ask Gary Neville.

10 minutes ago, momo said:

I was not comparing myself to Zidane, I used the same logic. It's all about the if's. If I played instead of Zidane, if I played instead of Gabby, if.., if... Well, there is a reason Gabby plays for Villa and not you or me. He is faster, more agile, has better ability than anyone on here complaining about him. If you hypothetically had his spot in the team, and hypothetically his abilities, then it is only hypothetical if you would have done it better, worse or as good as him, as a striker or on the wing.

And Zidane scored less goals than Lampard. Is Lampard better than Zidane?

Your point is still irrelevant. So Gabby plays professional football and we don't. So what? Are you really proposing that the only people who can have an opinion on football are former professional players?

Also, did I say that Lampard was better than Gabby? I merely pointed out that Lampard has a better goals-per-appearance return. So come on, do you think that Gabby's goal return of 73 in 316 is good enough, or do you think it could be better?

Â