Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

9 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Due to our lack of activity in the transfer market, think we are going to have to use him unfortunately! Shouldn't be a starter for sure but for the next 2/3 games I would give him a go and see what we get from him. 

Well then let us at least support him and the rest of the team...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It is my view yes.

Gabby was productive. Not quite Ashley Young levels of productive granted, but productive nonetheless. I think you'd be quite surprised to find their goal/assist numbers to be very similar. Regularly 10-16 goals and 6-8 assists over a 4 year period, as well as the aforementioned season under Lambert. If that's not the definition of a "good" player then I'm confused as to what is.

Doug do me one favour please, leave the stats alone and try telling me your putting Gabby up alongside Ash?

16 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Due to our lack of activity in the transfer market, think we are going to have to use him unfortunately! Shouldn't be a starter for sure but for the next 2/3 games I would give him a go and see what we get from him. 

The definition of insanity: repeatedly playing Agbonlahor and expecting a different outcome each time. 

• Like 2

Just now, HeyAnty said:

The definition of insanity: repeatedly playing Agbonlahor and expecting a different outcome each time. 

Not insanity but if Kozak and Gestede arn't fit for the next game or two, do we then have a choice? No one mentioned a different outcome!

11 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Not insanity but if Kozak and Gestede arn't fit for the next game or two, do we then have a choice? No one mentioned a different outcome!

Id play Richards up front before him.  You are playing with 10men these days with him on the pitch

4 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Id play Richards up front before him.  You are playing with 10men these days with him on the pitch

I wouldn't even argue with you, but if we can get any pace and movement into our front line  then like I said earlier we may have no choice! Lacking options is killing us!! 

Edited by ferguson1

12 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I wouldn't even argue with you, but if we can get any pace and movement into our front line  then like I said earlier we may have no choice! Lacking options is killing us!! 

We are bound to have someone on the u21's.  Couldnt be any worse

On 20 January 2016 at 07:57, OutByEaster? said:

As a comparison, I think statistically the player he's most similar too in Villa history is Brian Little - Little scored 82 in 302 games for us at 1 goal per 3.68 games and Gabby has 84 in 363 at one in 4.32 - when you figure in that half of Little's goals were scored outside of the top flight, I think those numbers more or less balance up.

Now, that's not me saying he's anything like the player Brian Little was - far from it. They're chalk and cheese, Little the stylish, clever, joy to watch, Gabby (at his best) quick, pestering but not exactly pleasing on the eye - but then the game has changed an awful lot since the late seventies, it's about athletes now, there aren't many that can slow it down to their pace or play the sort of nice stuff that was easier at the slower pace of the seventies. Little was a fabulous player in the era of football in which he played, Gabby was a good one on the era in which he played, and, sadly I'm referring to Gabby in the past tense there.

Little was a much better player than Gabby, no doubt - and that's not the point I'm making - the point I'm making is that because he's been poor over a number of seasons, we forget how much Gabby has achieved, there was a comparison to Collymore earlier in the thread, who (as talented as he was) compares more sensibly with the likes of Luke Moore in terms of what he did here. Gabby deserves to be talked about in better company - regardless of what he's done in the last three or four seasons, and whether he's finished here - what he did in the years when things were going well deserves some sort of respect I think. 

I'm glad you added the proviso , I not saying he's anything like the player Brian was.....because your right, he was't.....but hey, I guess that is an opinion.

but let me just remind you of 2 things

1) Brian Little made so many assists for Andy Gray, so his overall contribution was much better IMO.

2) There is one very important distinction with strikers.....The very best manage to score when a team needs a goal.....just numbers without further criteria can be misleading in the pursuit of the question of who is the better.

one of the faults we made signing...Cascarino & Whittingham...we just looked at stats.

Drogba allegedly said to Lukaku at Chelsea training ground.... Scoring goals is one thing, scoring them when your team needs them is quite something else....That's what the Shearers, the Andy Grays, The Dwight Yorkes did.

in our current position, that sounds quite profound.....because any old goal would do right now.....but everything in football is relative.

Doug do me one favour please, leave the stats alone and try telling me your putting Gabby up alongside Ash?

No, I'm not. I was comparing them statistically to highlight a point. I'm clearly never going to persuade you to take a more open minded view, you have made your opinion abundantly clear.

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm glad you added the proviso , I not saying he's anything like the player Brian was.....because your right, he was't.....but hey, I guess that is an opinion.

but let me just remind you of 2 things

1) Brian Little made so many assists for Andy Gray, so his overall contribution was much better IMO.

2) There is one very important distinction with strikers.....The very best manage to score when a team needs a goal.....just numbers without further criteria can be misleading in the pursuit of the question of who is the better.

one of the faults we made signing...Cascarino & Whittingham...we just looked at stats.

Drogba allegedly said to Lukaku at Chelsea training ground.... Scoring goals is one thing, scoring them when your team needs them is quite something else....That's what the Shearers, the Andy Grays, The Dwight Yorkes did.

in our current position, that sounds quite profound.....because any old goal would do right now.....but everything in football is relative.

correct me if i am wrong but doesnt Gabby have a pretty good record in derby matches?  Some would argue that that is scoring goals when your team needs them...

I seem to recall he has scored a few against Man City too...

Dont get me wrong, Gabby is a has-been.  But he WAS much better than many people would have you believe when he was firing on all cylinders

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

correct me if i am wrong but doesnt Gabby have a pretty good record in derby matches?  Some would argue that that is scoring goals when your team needs them...

I seem to recall he has scored a few against Man City too...

Dont get me wrong, Gabby is a has-been.  But he WAS much better than many people would have you believe when he was firing on all cylinders

He was better some time ago..... but you would have to be his brother or sister to think he has ever been consistent year in year out.

Gabby has been here all his footballing life and for me Aston Villa have been better to Gabby than Gabby has been to Aston Villa.

now I know Gabs has his fans and detractors, so the camp will be split and I guess his loyalty ( which could create another debate based on my second line) will always be revered in some quarters.

I have never disliked Gabby he has always been a source of irritation to me when I have seen so many better front men over the years.

just my view FWIW.

49 minutes ago, TRO said:

He was better some time ago..... but you would have to be his brother or sister to think he has ever been consistent year in year out.

Gabby has been here all his footballing life and for me Aston Villa have been better to Gabby than Gabby has been to Aston Villa.

now I know Gabs has his fans and detractors, so the camp will be split and I guess his loyalty ( which could create another debate based on my second line) will always be revered in some quarters.

I have never disliked Gabby he has always been a source of irritation to me when I have seen so many better front men over the years.

just my view FWIW.

06/07 - Played 45 - 11 goals and 8 assists (on the wing)

07/08 - Played 39 - 11 goals and 8 assists

08/09 - Played 44 - 12 goals and 6 assists

09/10 - Played 48 - 16 goals and 7 assists

12/13 - Played 28 - 12 goals and 3 assists

Obvious gap is obvious and he's been mostly shit for 3 years. Gabby is not revered by anyone anymore, I don't think, but I was a big big fan way back when for what I perceive to be blindingly obvious reasons. I accept that stats aren't the be all and end all, but I am confident enough in them to say that yes, he was consistent year in year out at the start of his career. In fact, he improved year on year in many aspects of his game. 

He's had some good times and we have benefited from that, I don't see the point in trying to take those away from him. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NorthernGordon said:

I think Gabby may score for fun in the Championship next season (let's face it, we're down).  Hope I'm right.

Gabby and Gustede could potentially be very decent pairing at championship level IMO, granted they are not upto premiership standard 

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He has winning goals against Chelsea, Manchester City (hat trick), Arsenal (brace), Manchester United and Liverpool. Several against Blues and the Albion.

He's a big game player. Always has been. That is completely undeniable.

also scored big goals against West Ham and Norwich in recent years that were huge results to keep us up

• Like 2

Â